Taught a CCW class today

Taught a CCW class today

This is a discussion on Taught a CCW class today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am constantly surprised at the number of folks who have never heard of the OODA Loop or understand the color code system. This class ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Taught a CCW class today

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

Taught a CCW class today

I am constantly surprised at the number of folks who have never heard of the OODA Loop or understand the color code system. This class was 4 Military guys and 4 wives.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    would that i was surprised when hosting a intro photography class. imagine that they do not know the relationship between
    aperture, shutter and ISO when i speak of depth of field, movement and light. the background necessary before they can understand how to compose a picture is necessary. much the same as teaching SA is as important as how to draw and how to aim.

they came to class to learn---that in and of itself is a good thing.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Depending on their particular job in the military, it isn't surprising to me at all that they may not know the OODA loop theory or the color code system.

Unlike days of old, not all military members are riflemen now, and it hasn't been that way since the late '70's. My job in the Navy Firecontrol Technician. I maintained and operated the ships weapons systems. If I had not volunteered for duty on the ships security force, I would have not touched a rifle or shotgun for most of my time in.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

One was a young Infantry 2nd Lieutenant, He had much knowledge and had just gotten out of Airborne School, but this was his first introductio to these particular quick communication concepts. It was a good class.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    I am constantly surprised at the number of folks who have never heard of the OODA Loop or understand the color code system. This class was 4 Military guys and 4 wives.
    I'm an early 1970s Army vet - and I had to look it up

But then I was just a grunt
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    I try not to fault the ignorant. None of knew what we know now, before we learned it.

A good teacher must determine the baseline of a student and proceed from there.

Patience, in a teacher, is almost as important as their knowledge of the subject matter being taught.
    Harryball and First Sgt like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Well I guess I'm one of the "uninformed or stupid folks". I know the color code system from my military days, but have no clue what a OODA Loop is. So why don't you share your over flowing infinite wisdom instead of berating.
    vista461 and bigmacque like this.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Colonel John Boyd, known as the "Fighter Pilot who changed the Art of War", coined the term "O.O.D.A. Loop". Colonel Boyd was a Fighter Pilot during the latter part of the Korean War. He believed that when at a disadvantage, a competent pilot could still overcome his disadvantage by "Attacking the Mind" of his opponent. His observations led him to a greater understanding of human reaction time and he trained his pilots accordingly and as a result they had a 10-1 kill ratio over the superior MIG-15.

The O.O.D.A. Loop is simply a term that Colonel Boyd coined to describe how humans react to stimulus. In regards to Human reaction time, the O.O.D.A. Loop is what happens between the onset of a stimulus and the onset of a reaction to that stimulus.

O.O.D.A. Loop: Observe - Orient - Decide - Act

OBSERVE we use all of our senses to make observations

ACT ORIENT = option 1. Denial 2. Emotional filter (feel) 3. Life eperiences

DECIDE
    Hicks Law

Hicks Law In 1952, a researcher named Hick, confirmed that for every response choice added, the amount of time required to react nearly doubles!! This is widely known as "Hicks Law," and has been repeatedly confirmed by subsequent research. In a self-defense situation, the longer you take to respond to a threatening action, the more likely you will be injured and defeated.

Other Factors that affect Human Reaction Time
    Unknown stimulus during the orient step (Flash Bang Theory)
    Known stimulus during the orient step (Brake Light Theory)
    Stress (Henry-Rogers Theory, 1960)
    Fatigue (Colonel Boyd)
    Age (Tracy's Theory)

CAN WE SPEED UP OUR REACTION TIME?

Develop and use all of your senses to make observations. Don't ignore precognition. (6th Sense)
    Training will lessen the possibility that you will be affected by Denial or Emotional Filter.
    Lessen the effects of Hicks Law by learning 1 or 2 effective tactics for any given situation.

Use "Imagined" stimulus and response.
    During the Orient stage, if we encounter a situation that we have never experienced, our reaction time will be slowed while our brains process our observation and Orient or "become familiar" with what we have just observed.
    If we use our imnagination to "Visualize" a situation as well as a response to that situation we are "Pre-Programming" our brains to recognize a stimulus and react to it were it to become a reality within the next few moments.

What you have just done is mentally programmed a stimulus thaty you now have a frameof reference for and can orient to much faster. In addition you have mentally programmed a response and consequently, you will react much faster.

CAN WE SLOW OUR OPPONENTS REACTION TIME?

Remember that everyone has to go through an O.O.D.A. Loop in order to respond to stimulus and everyone's O.O.D.A. Loop is affected by the same factors that ours is.

Every time you side step, essentially every time you move or do anything that causes your opponent to have to respond to YOUR actions, you are getting inside of his O.O.D.A. Loop and slowing him down.

Action always beats reaction and by using tactics to force your opponent to react to your actions, you are also causing your opponent to become fatigued and inducing stress that as we have learned adversely affects every other person's reaction time.

By using your knowledge of how humans react and respond to stimulus, you can break you opponent's O.O.D.A. Loop...Recognize and overcome the factors that slow your reaction time down and exploit those factors when facing an opponent. BREAK HIS O.O.D.A. LOOP

Hope this helps those that were unaware of or had never heard the term O.O.D.A. Loop.
    marcclarke and Billspider like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I apologize for my cynical tone in my last post. The tenor of the whole post seemed a little condescending to me and just rubbed me the wrong way at the moment. It did make me go look up what the heck it was that was being talked about and now I know what a OODA Loop theory is, though I personally believe that I don't need a drawing and long disortation to do what for most rational people should be second nature.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Senior Moderator
    though I personally believe that I don't need a drawing and long disortation to do what for most rational people should be second nature.
    It is not second nature. That's the point.

Most people introduced into a situation that they have never be in simply freeze. They lock up. They are trying to figure out what to do. It takes awhile and in that while they may be hurt or killed.
    sigmanluke likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Training is essential, and Colonel Boyd was one of the first to put together a comprehensive study of who will survive in combat. As I understand it he also came to realize that everyone can improve, there are natural predators among us. What the rest of us want to do is get as close as we can to being one of the predators.

I still believe his theory presents the obvious or there would not be a human race because we would already be extinct long before he told us how to think in a stressful situation.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    I still believe his theory presents the obvious or there would not be a human race because we would already be extinct long before he told us how to think in a stressful situation.
    The human race, as a SPECIES, can afford to loose one or two individuals to slow reactions. The INDIVIDUAL cannot.

I will use any tool or trick I come across to increase my chances of survival.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My prior "condition codes" consisted of various stages leading to nuclear warfare, not this fatish OODA Loop crap and fancy catch phrases. I know a lot of phrases and terms a "CCW Instructor" wouldn't. I don't need no stinkin' OODA Loop to know to pay attention, make a decision, and live with the consequences.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    That's because you're an experienced old vet. In MN we have the oof da loop.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links