How many rounds?

This is a discussion on How many rounds? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love to shoot and have my own range so it's no problem for me to fire a few hundred rounds in a new handgun ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How many rounds?

I love to shoot and have my own range so it's no problem for me to fire a few hundred rounds in a new handgun in short order. I like to fire a half box of the rounds I plan to carry, saving the other half for the carrying. I never really thought much about it.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

2. Remove Ads

I probably have close to 1,000 rounds through my XD, 800+ FMJ and around 200 JHP. I had 1 FTF but tracked it down to user error because I did not properly rack the slide and the chamber had not closed completely and in turn did not get a good strike. So, in my experience with many different types of ammo (have yet to try steel case) I haven't had any failures. I was comfortable with it after firing the 200 rounds of FMJ Magtech ammo that I bought with the pistol when it was new.

I never really thought of a specific number of rounds. I just went to the range and shot however many I needed to get comfortable with the gun then one mag of the SD rounds and as long as there were no issues I carried it.

I put about 200 rounds through my Glock 26, and then half a box of Golden Sabers through it. So far after 400 or so rounds (got it last week ) it has had no problems. Never had any with my Glock 22 before that either. Both Gen 3.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I only shoot a couple hundred FMJ. Try to shoot 100 carry rounds. Occasionally only fifty of the carry ammo.

I don't have a ton of money to run hundreds of hollowpoints. Just enough to see they work.
    That would be about right. I'll put at least a few hundred through it a month, including 20 or so of my SD ammo.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I haven't been to a school or class that didn't recomend at least 300 rounds of your carry ammo in a semi auto or 50 rounds of carry ammo in a revolver. It only makes sense ans when you complain about the cost, I feel that my life is worth an extra 200 bucks to make sure that I come home alive.
    “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” Han Solo

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    200+ for a auto and 50 rounds for a wheel gun
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    My Glocks rocked and rolled right out of the box! With that being said, I always try to have a minimum of five training magazines and three carry magazines for each of my Glocks. I run a full mag of FMJ and JHP through each mag to insure the mag/Glock function as a team. I put my life in the hands of my Glocks and do not doubt for one minute that they will go BANG! JMO
    Yup, same for me. I will go further and state that I also check where different weights print on a target. For example, I like to carry my initial mag full of MAGSAFE frangible ammo down here in warm Miami, FL. My back ups are always Winchester Ranger 230gr JHP. I make note of the differences in print patterns at 30 feet. For example, I know that my magsafe's tend to shoot high at that range. I also check for shot groups when I change sights. I'm going to replace my glock sights (TFO tritiums) since I'm disappointed in the new set and so I'm toying with a set of LASER-LYTE rear sight laser. Durn these aging eyes. Once I change the sights I'll run the ammo again looking for changes in grouping. I also don't shoot a lot of magsafes because it usually costs about $18 for 8rds. I do have a store of them, but I try to get my "zero" on them fast. Thankfully the bullet OGIVE is very conducive to proper feeding, so I don't worry much about FTF's.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Usually it's 100 rounds of whatever and then 50 rounds of self defense ammo. And I try to make a malfunction happen. Loose grip, fast shooting and sloppy reloads are part of the routine.
    Question Everything!

About 500 rds of FMJ, 100 rds of carry ammo...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

2000 rounds without cleaning/lubing by shooting various brands of ammo.

For me the standard has usually been 400 to 500 failure free rounds down range before I really trust the gun. That doesn't really apply for wheelguns but for semi-autos it does. And I need to see the gun send at least 50 rounds of my carry ammo down range with no problems before I'll carry it. That can be expensive but, it still needs to prove to me that it will cycle what I intend to carry in it before it gets carried.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    How many rounds do you shoot through a new gun before you trust it as a carry weapon?
    Trust it to work OK? If that's what you mean, about 300 rounds. Should show if there's an immediate - send it back - problem - which would be any shooting or loading problem that is abnormal (having a hard to load mag because of a tight, new spring is not abnormal), regular FTFs are abnormal, especially if you try different ammo and it still happens.

To trust it as a CCW takes a bit, how well can you draw and shoot quickly and on target? How does it feel using it? How does it feel carrying it? How expensive is the ammo? etc, etc.

I shot my last gun which kind of "grew" into what is now my top-Carry over a period of 3 months, pretty regular use once a week to week-and-a-half at the range plus I carried it on occasion and then more frequently and THEN it became the one I carry the most. Long time.

Remember, the criteria is: will it save my life when my shooting will be filled with adrenaline and in an altered state of consciousnesses as the "live or die" moment is suddenly upon me.

You will have "auditory exclusion", "tunnel vision", rapid heart rate, sweat, fine muscle movements especially of the hands will be impeded because blood will be shunted away from them to the deeper organs as your body prepares to survive critical injury - and you will not be thinking, it it will be instantaneous reaction and nothing else.

How will the gun and you using it be THEN?

It's not a minor choice.

rox
    Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post

Remember, the criteria is: will it save my life when my shooting will be filled with adrenaline and in an altered state of consciousnesses as the "live or die" moment is suddenly upon me.

You will have "auditory exclusion", "tunnel vision", rapid heart rate, sweat, fine muscle movements especially of the hands will be impeded because blood will be shunted away from them to the deeper organs as your body prepares to survive critical injury - and you will not be thinking, it it will be instantaneous reaction and nothing else.

How will the gun and you using it be THEN?

It's not a minor choice.
    The hearing shut down, tunnel vision, and rapid heart rate is real. I would add that the logical thought process goes out the window as well. Muscle memory and one's training (or lack thereof) takes over. A person can not truly understand what a "life and death" experience feels like until it actually happens to him or her.
    walleye and Tzadik like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life

to break it in, 100-200.

To feel confident in it ? 300-400. And, at least 50 of any ammo I plan to carry in it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links