How many rounds?

How many rounds?

This is a discussion on How many rounds? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many rounds do you shoot through a new gun before you trust it as a carry weapon?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How many rounds?

How many rounds?

How many rounds do you shoot through a new gun before you trust it as a carry weapon?
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

I only shoot a couple hundred FMJ. Try to shoot 100 carry rounds. Occasionally only fifty of the carry ammo.

I don't have a ton of money to run hundreds of hollowpoints. Just enough to see they work.

I am with the above post completely. I try to shoot as many rounds (fmj and jhp) as I can afford, but the number of rounds often ends up being just like Zeppelin said before I START carrying a handgun.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Im also with the above posters.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Normally its ± 100 rounds of the SD loads I carry, however with the replacement PPS I received from Walther/S & W I ran 200 of SGD and 200 of Ranger T-Series. Again this was a replacement and the original had FTF issues with any JHP so I didn't trust the weapon design. As a note the original PPS ran FMJ without any problems, it is normally the JHP that will hang in a PPS. That was an expensive break-in! With my others the break-in was as little as 50 rounds before I would carry.
    Tzadik likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I never did that with my new Glock
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

i run at least 200 fmj and a box of the rounds i choose to carry with that gun
    "A PERSON WHO LEGALLY CARRIES A CONCEALED FIREARM IS THE BEST ASSET FOR ANY COMMUNITY, THEY DETER CRIMES BEFORE THEY EVER HAPPEN."

"I CHOOSE TO CARRY TO PROTECT THE PEOPLE I LOVE FROM THE MONSTERS IN THE WORLD. WHEN I AM NOT AROUND THEM I CHOOSE TO CARRY SO THAT I MAY RETURN TO THEM."

My Glocks rocked and rolled right out of the box! With that being said, I always try to have a minimum of five training magazines and three carry magazines for each of my Glocks. I run a full mag of FMJ and JHP through each mag to insure the mag/Glock function as a team. I put my life in the hands of my Glocks and do not doubt for one minute that they will go BANG! JMO
    guardmt likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Normally its ± 100 rounds of the SD loads I carry, however with the replacement PPS I received from Walther/S & W I ran 200 of SGD and 200 of Ranger T-Series. Again this was a replacement and the original had FTF issues with any JHP so I didn't trust the weapon design. As a note the original PPS ran FMJ without any problems, it is normally the JHP that will hang in a PPS. That was an expensive break-in! With my others the break-in was as little as 50 rounds before I would carry.
    Bought my PPK/s in November had to send it back because of multiple failures.

I won't carry it 'til I can put aleast 100 rounds of what I'll carry without a failure of any kind. I haven't reached that point yet :(
    A shame too because when it does fire, it's beautiful.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    For the most part 300 however I have had tight steel framed 1911's that went over 800 before I trusted 'em.

Seems to me the all steel guns that's carbon steel or stainless steel always take longer to break in.

Since I am required to qualify with any weapon I carry...I shoot as many rounds as I need to get comfortable with it from any carry position I use. Minimum about 100-200 rds but not necessarily all in one range day. I also want to break it down before the first shoot and after subsequent shoots. For me it's not about breaking in or checking reliability...although that is a good thing...it's about getting it out on target with mag changes.

For me, I fire a few mags through a new gun, and if it fires them without a hitch, I clean it up and carry it.if a gun has issues, it will show up in the first few few mags.
    Any auto is going to hiccup every once in a while. To say you need x amount to deem it reliable is nothing more than playing the odds for self satisfaction.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I'll run 50-100 rounds of FMJ and 25-50 rounds of carry ammo. The only problems I've ever encountered were a 1911 that would not feed JHP. SA fixed it so it functioned with any JHP I choose to try. The other was my CW45, which turned out to be a ammo issue and not a gun issue.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

With semi-automatics 300, then another hundred of my proposed self-defense round.

With revolvers 150. Revolvers either work or they don't work, their functioning is not ammunition dependent.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgable50 View Post
    i run at least 200 fmj and a box of the rounds i choose to carry with that gun
    +1...I also throw in a box or two of cheap crap to see how my weapon reacts. Darn little M&P 40C has about 1000 rounds through it and has never had a hiccup of any kind. Only the second one I've ever had that had those results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links