Defensive Carry banner

Yet another to CC

2K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  VBVAGUY 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Most of these attacks are without any warning, often from behind. My guess is in the vast majority of the cases even being armed isn't going to help. Anyone caught participating in this "game" should be tried and a sentence carried out immediately. I think a just sentence would be 100 lashes to the back with a whip. The punishment done publicly and afterwords his wounds cleansed with salt water.

#4 ·
I noticed in the article, one guy said he saw the group and it seemed out of place, and the man who was killed took a shortcut down an alley. Both lessons to trust your instincts, avoid possible trouble (alley), and always carry! So sad and terrible that these crimes are happening.

#6 ·
Nothing new here. See A Clockwork Orange for examples of how bored, impoverished youth tend to make up their own entertainments. And they've done this, of course, since time immemorial. It's cheap, easy, and fun.

Well, to them it is, anyway. In the real world, people die or are terribly injured. Your job is to be a hard target.

Speaking of which, this video is highly instructional. Notice that the defender does not act until necessary. When he does, it's decisive, but not more than the situation requires. The vertical arm bar he applies is nicely executed, applied smoothly. He's trained well in something.

#13 ·
I hate to be a wet blanket here but, while I agree that the level of force was appropriate and timely, I have to take issue with your notion that the restraint was well executed. I watched it in slow motion and here is what I saw:

The defender used his left hand to intercept the assailant's right arm, grabbing it somewhat lower than the midpoint, but not all the way down to the wrist, and sweeping it toward the inside and down. He then makes a mistake by repositioning his grip down to the wrist just above the hand. He brings his right hand in to bend the hand down and lever the arm up. The wrist lock is compromised because his left hand around the wrist is acting as a brace limiting the lock-up of the wrist joint. In fact, I would say it was pretty useless. The assailant was not taken off balance by the wrist lock but by being pushed backward across the car. At any time he could have brought his left hand into play against the defender. Basically, the defender used two hands to do what could have been done with one, and left himself defenseless in the process. He was lucky that the assailant was cowed by his prompt aggressive behavior.

#9 ·
Hopefully, the 'young darling' you speak of, wouldn't be there to testify.:hand1:

#11 ·
Sad state of affairs...

I deal with punks like this on patrol. Unsupervised packs of thugs, unfortunately for society most of these miscreants are raised in violence. Dad (or usually whomever momma is with) beats on her, and the kids. Then these bums group together and fight each other, violence is ingrained in their life. When you have to deal with violent punks, keep your head on a swivel, assume the worst, and have a plan to ruin their day.... Trust your gut instincts, if they look like trouble then they probably are. Be safe out there friends, Merry Christmas!

#12 ·
I deal with punks like this on patrol. Unsupervised packs of thugs, unfortunately for society most of these miscreants are raised in violence. Dad (or usually whomever momma is with) beats on her, and the kids. Then these bums group together and fight each other, violence is ingrained in their life. When you have to deal with violent punks, keep your head on a swivel, assume the worst, and have a plan to ruin their day.... Trust your gut instincts, if they look like trouble then they probably are. Be safe out there friends, Merry Christmas!

^^^^^^^^^^WHAT you mean profile??????????^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree.

To L with these politically correct imbiciles who say its wrong to do that.

If it walks like a thug, dresses like a thug, talks like a thug, guess what????????Its a thug until proven otherwise.

The ones that bother me are the Eddie Haskells of the world.
They on the other hand are harder to spot.

#16 ·
I 'd go for the public hangings. Ultimately it is by public authority so the public needs to see exactly what they are authorizing and it will make The Wages of Sin much more meaningful.

#18 ·
This is a very difficult type of attack to defend against for a couple of reasons. From my point of view (70 years old, carry always whereever it is legal) being in their preferred demographic, and aware of the phenomen, it's still nearly impossible to defend against because the response time window is so short and the number of attackers.

My definition of the response time window being the time between when an attack is certain enough to justify the use of lethal force and when they land the first blow. If my hand isn't already on the gun, getting it out in time will be very difficult.

Respond too early and they cry to the authorities that they were attacked by a crazy old guy, too late and they've landed the first blow which, for senior citizens usually means they've already won. My body doesn't deal well with being hit, and it doesn't heal very fast. I'm active and in good health but hit me really hard and I'm probably permanently disabled, or at least won't recover completely for several years.

Second issue to deal with is how many there are. Attacked from several directions at once all one can hope for is if it's possible to get off at least one shot, the rest of them scatter. If they don't it will be difficult to prevail with out serious, probably permanently disabling, injury. Near as I can tell being able to put one's back against a wall, or against a van in a parking lot to control access could help, if that's possible. Attacked in the open, or in a parking lot by two or three hiding behind cars, it's going to be impossible to control access.

Those saying situational awareness is the key are absolutely right. But it may be difficult to detect the attack in time with absolute certainty.

Clearly one key to a good defense is to carefully choose the times one is out and about. I need to find and study the reports of attacks to see if a pattern emerges that allows choosing good times to be in store parking lots, etc. At this point my wife and I already do not go out after dark if we can help it mostly because we don't see well at night - there is age induced deterioration of the rod cells that reduces the ability to see at night.

The best defense might be to go out in packs of armed senior citizens. Four or more of us in a group with the strong hand on the gun in a coat pocket can cover the 360 degrees better and have a better chance to respond.

One tactic that just occurred to me would be to drive to the front of the store to let my wife out with ony a few feet to go to be inside. Then wait in the car till she calls me on the cell to say she's ready to leave, drive to the door, load the car right there, and then leave.

Doesn't work well for some situations, like when we both want to shop together. For those situations picking the right time is about the only defense. Summers may be worse during the week because they aren't in school.

Fitch

#19 ·
Well, one day these losers that belong to the sorry, lame, loser parents are raising will choose the wrong person and I truly hope "that person" puts one or two of um down for good. After that, I think this so called game will go away.:wink:

#20 ·
This so called game has been going on for a long time

Even here in Maine it was making headlines at least 10 years ago. Someone would be walking down a street past a group and out of nowhere one of the guys in the group would punch them in the face as hard as they could. It was usually one punch and everyone scattered. We had a kid die in Portland about two years ago during this so called game. I know his uncle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.