How Many Extra Rounds or Mags Do You Carry? - Page 3

How Many Extra Rounds or Mags Do You Carry?

This is a discussion on How Many Extra Rounds or Mags Do You Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a five shot lcr and a blade. If that is not enough, I can out run and out fight most, and there is ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: How Many Extra Rounds or Mags Do You Carry?

I carry a five shot lcr and a blade. If that is not enough, I can out run and out fight most, and there is a 12 gauge in my trunk.

This thread has been done at least 5 times since I've been here.

I occasionally carry extra ammo, but not often. *This is an improvement from the last thread. Guantes may have been a slight influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Your firearms use clips? That's interesting; mine use magazines. Clips are used in Garands and Broomhandle Mausers. :)

FYI, the two are different items and the terms are not synonymous.
    You are correct....my Springfield XD that I carry uses magazines....I stand corrected.....however my Smith & Wesson 40 cal 610 uses clips and I carry stripper clips for my AR-15.

Fwiw, I did a search and didn't find anything. Sorry.

9 +1 in the SA XD 40 SC, and 5 in the S&W Airweight.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Para P12 with on extra and my AMT 45 with one extra as well.
    Total of 32. Not for the round count, but for malfunctions. Don't want to have to throw a jammed pistol at them because of a mag failure.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

No spare mags. I'm going to just rely on my 15 rounds in the gun and try my best to gtfo out of the situation.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    For my 1911's I only load seven rounds in the magazines plus one in the chamber. I carry anywhere from one spare magazine to three, I'd guess my average carry would be 8 rounds in the pistol with 14 rounds in the spare mags,for a 22round average.

Just a full magazine in the pistol unless I'm traveling to the city, then one extra magazine.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion12 View Post
    I've got too much other stuff in my pockets. If the 7 or 8 rounds in my CCW don't get it done, it's not my day.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
    Just a full magazine in the pistol unless I'm traveling to the city, then one extra magazine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo M3 View Post
    No spare mags. I'm going to just rely on my 15 rounds in the gun and try my best to gtfo out of the situation.
    May I just say that, no matter how many times this topic comes up I am always amazed, and disapointed, that we have members here who still refuse to understand that the extra mag isn't for a gun fight that would require a reload, because as armed civilians it is statistically unlikely that we would ever be in a gun fight that would last more than 3 rounds. It is because in modern semi-auto firearms, a magazine failure is the most likely equipment malfunction. You carry the spare magazine for that eventuality. If you do need that gun to save your life or the lives of your loved ones, and the mag in the gun fails you, it's sure going to suck when you don't have a spare to slap in there.

I always carry a spare magazine. Not because I think I will need a reload but because I understand that my magazine may fail. It is just a metal sleve with a spring and follower in it. They fail. All the time. Work on a range sometime and count the number of mag failures you see in a week. It will surprise you.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I extra mag - just in case the first one fails. Realisitically, any SD gun action in which the average person would get involved would only last 2 or 3 rounds. I'd like to make sure that I have a good chance of getting those rounds off. Hence, the extra mag. The mag is the weakest link in a semi-auto.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Glock 30, standard 10 rd mag and 2 spare G21 magazines (13rds per). So, 36 rounds total

Quote Originally Posted by JMTrio View Post
    Just curious, how many extra rounds do you carry? I got the +2 mags for my Glock 26, and have been carrying 24 rounds. Also specify what gun, or at least revolver or auto. I'm figuring one extra magazine is all the extra weight I want to carry around all day.
    I carry no extra rounds

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    G19 with 2 spare 15 rd mags. 46 totals rds.
    ditto. Plus BUG (PF-9, CW9, CM9) with an extra mag for da bug.
    NYCrulesU likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

One bad day in Thailand, where US Forces(USAF Air Police) off base were unarmed, we caught some armed robbers robbing US Airmen/Soldiers. A chase started and ended in Tapioca field near Bhuddist Temple. Shots were fired by Thai Police and the BGs(no mention of the 3 full auto 223 FNC rifles they gave us routinely(with 1 30 rd mag). All said and done-BGs in Jail-our ass puckerd+-limited ammo in a no tell situation. Gay military members have less to hide than what we did in Thailand! Today,as 42 yr Mil/State LEO retiree-on me 2 guns with extra mags(mag)-per caliber. 1911 +3/ Glock 21/22 +2, BHP+2, Sig P220 +2 and Back-up-S&W M36 3"/642wCT Laser+15 rds. Long guns in vehicle include a 223 from Ruger/Kel-Tec w/ 120 rds minimum and a 12ga Shotgun w/ extended mag and rifle sights from 2+ plus sources, all with rounds on board. As a Firearms Instructor/Case Agt for my State Police Agency I normally had 5K rounds on board my State vehicle for what we carried for all scenarios+ plus the special weapons. And I was only one of 25! One Agt had access to Full auto weapons thru Century rms LEO program free! BTW-Crime rate in AL is way down!!

I carry a reload or two regardless of what I'm carrying for the day.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links