How Many Extra Rounds or Mags Do You Carry?

This is a discussion on How Many Extra Rounds or Mags Do You Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; He he He.,.. I have had a carry licence for over 38 years. I have tons of guns however I don't carry exta ammo. Being ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: How Many Extra Rounds or Mags Do You Carry?

He he He.,.. I have had a carry licence for over 38 years. I have tons of guns however I don't carry exta ammo. Being blessed by living in a low crime area. I carry 4 to 6 rounds in firearms. Figgure if i can't defend myself with what i have I get out of there. I am not the Popo so I won't play one.
    Lately I have been carring my COP Derringer. I switch off with my Colt Cobra, Taurus M450Ti, and my Ruger Montado in OBHs. Still want to carry my S&W 327 PC 8rd snubbie and my Chiappa snubbie as I have leather for both.
    Still Havnt found a good holster yet to carry my VZ 61 Scorpion yet which would work for one of my Mauser Broomhandles.
    Yes i have about every semi-auto pistol produced however I like my revolvers. On hot days I do however carry my KelTec P11.

Life is good,
    Roger

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogertc1 View Post
    He he He.,.. I have had a carry licence for over 38 years. I have tons of guns however I don't carry exta ammo. Being blessed by living in a low crime area. I carry 4 to 6 rounds in firearms. Figgure if i can't defend myself with what i have I get out of there. I am not a cop so i won't play one.
    Lately I carry my COP Derringer. Switch off with my Colt Cobra, Taurus M450Ti, and my Ruger Montado in OBHs. Still want to carry my S&W 327 PC 8rd snubbie and my Chiappa snubbie as I have leather for both.

Havnt found a good holster yet to carry my VZ 61 Scorpion yet which would work for one of my Mauser Broomhandles.
    Yes i have about every semi-auto pistol however like my revolvers. On hot days I do however carry my KelTec P11.

Life is good,
    Roger
    My NEW carry gun: a 9mm Mauser Broomhandle (with pics)
    chrisdridley and rogertc1 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbinator View Post
    One bad day in Thailand, where US Forces(USAF Air Police) off base were unarmed, we caught some armed robbers robbing US Airmen/Soldiers. A chase started and ended in Tapioca field near Bhuddist Temple. Shots were fired by Thai Police and the BGs(no mention of the 3 full auto 223 FNC rifles they gave us routinely(with 1 30 rd mag). All said and done-BGs in Jail-our ass puckerd+-limited ammo in a no tell situation. Gay military members have less to hide than what we did in Thailand! Today,as 42 yr Mil/State LEO retiree-on me 2 guns with extra mags(mag)-per caliber. 1911 +3/ Glock 21/22 +2, BHP+2, Sig P220 +2 and Back-up-S&W M36 3"/642wCT Laser+15 rds. Long guns in vehicle include a 223 from Ruger/Kel-Tec w/ 120 rds minimum and a 12ga Shotgun w/ extended mag and rifle sights from 2+ plus sources, all with rounds on board. As a Firearms Instructor/Case Agt for my State Police Agency I normally had 5K rounds on board my State vehicle for what we carried for all scenarios+ plus the special weapons. And I was only one of 25! One Agt had access to Full auto weapons thru Century rms LEO program free! BTW-Crime rate in AL is way down!!
    Great post. I have never understood why anybody would carry firearms worth hundreds, if not thousands of dollars, then put said firearms in fifteen dollar holsters, on short rations by carrying four bucks worth of ammo at any given time.
    NYCrulesU likes this.

Great points about magazine failures. That is a good reason to carry a spare. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

I'm probably going to be buying my very first handgun next week. Been saving up for it for months and I've already gotten all the accessories for it (cleaning kit, safe, ammo for break in, etc.) I also ordered a double mag holder from Blackhawk, in which I will be carrying two mecgar flush fitting 15 round P229 magazines, with a third in the gun.

I keep reading people say that on average, gunfights involving civilians only last 3-5 rounds. Well, on average, civilians don't get into gunfights. I'm not counting on the average, I'm preparing for the worst case scenario. If I only fire five rounds and the threat is taken care of, great! In fact, I would greatly prefer to fire no rounds. But if my magazine fails, or there's more than one attacker, or he's hopped up on drugs which make him able to continue his assault on me until I've dumped all 45 rounds into him, then I'll be prepared.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

S&W 337 Air Lite Titanium J frame 5 (38 +p)
    with a 5 shot speed loader 38 +P. Looks like
    I am on the low side.

Glock 19 with 15+1 and a spare 15 round mag

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdridley View Post
    You are correct....my Springfield XD that I carry uses magazines....I stand corrected.....however my Smith & Wesson 40 cal 610 uses clips and I carry stripper clips for my AR-15.
    HaLf//full moon clips for revolvers are not the same thing. :)

Neither are stripper clips. They cannot be used directly; they are used to charge a magazine.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

My BH is just a 30cal C-96...and an IBH won't work for a fat man like me. Thanks for the link.

None extra if I run out I am already dead or the fight is over. There is a limit to what you can prepare for .
    Depending on what I am carrying at the time it might be 6+1 or it could be 14+1. Most of the time 10 +1

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion12 View Post
    I've got too much other stuff in my pockets. If the 7 or 8 rounds in my CCW don't get it done, it's not my day.
    You should carry a spare mag not for the round count but because 90% of issues with auto loaders are mag related. 7 rounds in a mag that won't feed are no better than the 700 rounds you have at home.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

A little bit of an aside but lots of people ention carrying an extra magazine for a failure exercise. I just can't see how this makes a lot of sense. If you think your magazines will fail at the critical moment, while not just carry a bug instead?
    suntzu likes this.

OK, question. A lot are saying to carry a spare mag because failures are caused by magazines. Got that part. But the failures I have had (10's of thousands of rounds experience) that were caused by the mag I was able to overcome by performing some emergencey action. How often would you in a CC/self defense situation actually drop your mag, clear/correct if necessary the malfunction, then insert a new mag? This is not to say not to carry an extra mag if you want. But I have heard anything from a lot to 90 percent of issues are caused by the mag. Unless the bottom fell out of the thing and it is a dynamic situation I am better off IMO to correct the malfunction.

I don't carry any extra rounds but I am starting to feel like I should at least carry an extra mag

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links