How Many Extra Rounds or Mags Do You Carry?

This is a discussion on How Many Extra Rounds or Mags Do You Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry extra mags because I like having lots of ammo with me....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: How Many Extra Rounds or Mags Do You Carry?

VIP Member
    I carry extra mags because I like having lots of ammo with me.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tet4 View Post
    A little bit of an aside but lots of people ention carrying an extra magazine for a failure exercise. I just can't see how this makes a lot of sense. If you think your magazines will fail at the critical moment, while not just carry a bug instead?
    Thanks, I forgot about that in my post. Plus if you drop your mag, and the new one doesn't work, it is like oops.......must be the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    There's nothing wrong with new threads about old topics. There are new members, new opinions every day. If this, or any topic, has been beaten to death and annoys you that much why not simply skip over it?

The amount of time it took you to copy/paste the links to all those other threads and rudely suggest that others should "use the search feature"....you could have simply ignored this thread since it clearly irritated you so greatly.

Sometimes I just don't get it. It's a discussion forum...for things to be discussed. Without new threads, old topics or not, this and any other forum would be dead.
    Divebum47, suntzu and Tzadik like this.

2 extra mags...

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    There's nothing wrong with new threads about old topics. There are new members, new opinions every day. If this, or any topic, has been beaten to death and annoys you that much why not simply skip over it?

The amount of time it took you to copy/paste the links to all those other threads and rudely suggest that others should "use the search feature"....you could have simply ignored this thread since it clearly irritated you so greatly.

Sometimes I just don't get it. It's a discussion forum...for things to be discussed. Without new threads, old topics or not, this and any other forum would be dead.
    Most of the previous questions/topics/posts are still available for posting to, & can be revived with new posts. Nothing rude about suggesting that someone might search the forum for one of its many postings on a subject rather than reposting the same question.

Just because someone starts a new thread doesn't mean it is 'new' - know wut I mean, Vern?
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Most of the previous questions/topics/posts are still available for posting to, & can be revived with new posts. Nothing rude about suggesting that someone might search the forum for one of its many postings on a subject rather than reposting the same question.

Just because someone starts a new thread doesn't mean it is 'new' - know wut I mean, Vern?
    Well,I look at it like this: if it wasn't reposted I wouldn't be enjoying this conversation since it was not in one of the previous threads you mentioned
    NYCrulesU likes this.

I am with scorpion and others. I carry 70% LCP 25% LCR and 5% SR9c all Rugers and no extra rounds. I always have a Spyderco knife, iPhone, earbuds, and Olight. I expect I will do what I need to get done or get help. Sometimes I carry speedloaders for my LCR when in suspect situations but that is not often any more. I guess I am playing the odds.

G26 loaded with std 10 rounder. G17 as a spare in back pocket. G17 mag is easier to grab than a G26 mag and stays upright easier.

My EDC is an S&W M&P 40c. 10+1 in the gun and 10rd spare mag.

The last time this subject appeared I think my EDC was a S&W N frame 25-5 with two speed loaders on Right side belt plus a 6 rd. speed strip in pocket. I have since gone to a Glock 17 RMR with at least one magazine and a K-Bar TDI. For 911 responses I carry a Glock 37 with Surefire 200WML W/DG Switch and CT Lazer + 2 extra Mags. but I will probably soon move the surefire WML to my G-17 when I can get a holster for the G-17/light set-up (the RMR sight is in the way on some holsters)

And just because someone has a question it doesn't mean they have to go searching for an old thread about that topic each time. They are not breaking any written or unwritten rules by asking the question or posing their scenerio. If it annoys some so badly, they are free not to click on the thread. Know what I mean, Skippy?

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    OK, question. A lot are saying to carry a spare mag because failures are caused by magazines. Got that part. But the failures I have had (10's of thousands of rounds experience) that were caused by the mag I was able to overcome by performing some emergencey action. How often would you in a CC/self defense situation actually drop your mag, clear/correct if necessary the malfunction, then insert a new mag? This is not to say not to carry an extra mag if you want. But I have heard anything from a lot to 90 percent of issues are caused by the mag. Unless the bottom fell out of the thing and it is a dynamic situation I am better off IMO to correct the malfunction.
    In order to clear a double feed (sometimes called a type 3 malfunction) I was taught to strip and discard the magazine, then reload.

There are 2 reasons: first, that the magazine may have become defective, thus causing the malfunction. Second, that by removing the mag it allows any cartridges to fall that might have been missed by a faulty extractor.

in all reality, a second pistol would be a better way to deal with a type 3 malfunction. but, it's usually easier to carry an extra mag, rather than an extra pistol.

ETA: highly recommend searching previous threads. not that you can't revisit a topic, but there is a lot of good info by former members as well as current ones. it also helps the inquirer to better form a question.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    In order to clear a double feed (sometimes called a type 3 malfunction) I was taught to strip and discard the magazine, then reload.

There are 2 reasons: first, that the magazine may have become defective, thus causing the malfunction. Second, that by removing the mag it allows any cartridges to fall that might have been missed by a faulty extractor.

in all reality, a second pistol would be a better way to deal with a type 3 malfunction. but, it's usually easier to carry an extra mag, rather than an extra pistol.

ETA: highly recommend searching previous threads. not that you can't revisit a topic, but there is a lot of good info by former members as well as current ones. it also helps the inquirer to better form a question.
    Thank you for explaining to me how to clear a type 3 malfunction. I will write that down. Get the gist of the post and don't nit pick. I was trying to point out failures caused by a mag does not necessarily mean you need to discard the mag during a firefight.
    And am I suppose to search the forum everytime I post.....??? I am sure I am the only person here who does not do a search everytime. I have tried searches before and ya know what, I do not find what I want sometimes. Next time I have a problem forming a question sir I will ask you first for your advice.
    NYCrulesU likes this.

I carry just one extra mag full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruger KP95. 15+1 and 1 extra mag of 15. 31rds total.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links