CCW auto vs revolver. and versatility!

This is a discussion on CCW auto vs revolver. and versatility! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok posted this thread in regards to another thread i have posted earlier about carrying a ruger alsakan or S&W 629 44 mag snub for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: CCW auto vs revolver. and versatility!

CCW auto vs revolver. and versatility!

Ok posted this thread in regards to another thread i have posted earlier about carrying a ruger alsakan or S&W 629 44 mag snub for CCW! Most people gripes about that piticular gun is that its too heavy and too powerfull for ccw. I put some thought into it and must say i disagree. Right now my main carry gun is a XD 45 ACP. I love this gun. But would like a gun to use for fishing, hikeing, hunting for bear protection and to use for ccw just to change it up abit. So for rough technical specs my XD fully loaded mag weighs in at 40.5 somthing ounces. And for me being a bigger guy it is very light! If we go with the lets say S&W 629 44 mag 2 5/8 barrel performance center the weight of that revolver empty is 39 oz and loaded around 44 oz. Oh and loaded with .44 special hornandy critical deffence rounds or other 44 special rounds would make it a great ccw gun choice i think. And when you want to use it for woods carry load the full bore 44 mag loads in it! To me it just adds up to a more versitile gun then even my beloved Springfeild XD. Because i would not be caught using that for bear deffence!

2. Remove Ads

Dude use what you want, carry what you want. You post this on a public forum and you will get peoples opinions. Some say a Ruger Alaskan is too big for CCW and I would be one of them, but it's perfect for hunting/bear protection. Carry what you want and what you are comfortable with.
    surefire7 and Eagleks like this.

Carry what you can shoot accurately............what ever that may be.

VIP Member
    Carry what you can, when you can, where you can and be happy with your choice.

I cannot do what you do, and you may not be able to do what I do.
    I really like these types of threads because it brings up alot of info and entertaining discussion. Personally, if you can carry it comfortably as a CCW, I don't think there is any gun made anywhere that can beat the 44 mag for versatility.
    I carry 4 inch N frames on occasion in a simple pancake holster without too much effort.

Another contender for versatility is the Glock 10mm if a lighter weight and autoloader is on the menu.

Hard to beat the L frame Smiths in 357 for anything in the lower 48 states, including black bear.

If I was serious about really big bears such as Alaskan browns, I would leave the handgun at home and pick a Guide Gun in 45-70, and, bring a really slow moving friend to go along with me:-)
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

well i think the main reason for even posting this thread is that i like to hear other opinions. And yes beleive me i will carry what i like or what i want in the end but its still nice to hear from other folks out their! That being said the other reason the main one is i think i was happy to see that the revolver i was looking at was not that much heavier to carry than my XD fully loaded comparison. So for me it really justifies it even more. Because i fell the versatility is really good..

VIP Member
    Big-bore snubbies are diametrically opposite to the direction I go for CCW, but I am all for whatever makes the individual user happy.

Size Matters --- go for it !!
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

You don't need a cannon.
    Nothing wrong with a revolver a lot right with them.
    Lot less stuff to worry about with revolver. They fire first time every time .
    Last edited by rstickle; December 31st, 2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Language workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    You don't need a cannon.
    Nothing wrong with a revolver a lot right with them.
    Lot less chit to worry about with revolver. They fire first time every time .
    I agree that you dont need a cannon for personal protection. Thats why i would load it with 44 special or 45 colt depending on what gut i go with. But in bear country id switch to 44 mag or 454 casull because then i would need the cannon.

Even though you may not need a cannon for SD, and that is debatable, there is nothing that says "lovin" like a big slug comin.
    Sledge likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Even though you may not need a cannon for SD, and that is debatable, there is nothing that says "lovin" like a big slug comin.
    Hahaha!! Well said " Nothing says lovin like a big slug comin" Thanks glockman you made my night i needed a laugh!

Lotsa people get shot dead first time, every time with a 22. That said, I have nothing against a big, huge, heavy hunk of metal such as a 1911. Lots of knock down power! I would just rather have a S&W 642 in my pocket all the time. Not nearly the knock down power of a 1911 (or a 30-06 for that matter) just a little easier for me to pack. So, you see, it's not necessarily the weapon type/size/caliber/etc. It's what you are comfortable with.

BTW. For bear, 454 casull much better than 22 or 38. YMMV :-)
    "If you only knew the power of the dark side!" - Darth Vader

I carry around a full sized N-frame S&W .357 revolver. Many people said I was crazy, but when I used my Ruger Super Blackhawk that is the same overall length to see if how well it would conceal I was pleasantly surprised. It's easy to hide, so I went big. I may not be using a .44 mag or 454 casull chambered revolver, but I could be.

Revolvers are just as easy to hide as any semi-autos when you get outside of the pint sized options.

I prefer a bigger gun. I can shoot it better than a small one. A win win scenario for me.

If some wants to carry a large weapon so be it. I have many but chose to carry one depending on What I am wearing and were I am going.
    I Have a special attachment to the 45 , either of the ones I have will do a good job but they are just to bulky for CC for me. My Para SF double stack is a beast to CC.
    I as have a 45 colt long that will stop a car but to carry it na. Unless I'm waking around in some bears yard and lose my rifle.
    A CC weapon must be one you will carry if it is uncomfortable ,in the way or just a pain over time you will carry it less and less.
    I don't by any mean argue that a 9mm is the best man stopper, but with the right round they get the job done. 357 sweet but again in my case bulky to CC.
    But a shielded hammer .38 with right rounds drops right in.
    Living in Wisconsin and being a law bidding person I did not carry here but another state I spend time in I hold a CC I did. Most of the time here I open carried.
    for the most part at any given time one of these 3 most often gets to go easy to carry and I trust them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links