Safety on or off?

This is a discussion on Safety on or off? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm carrying a Taurus Millenium Pro PT-111. I carry it IWB in a holster that completely covers the trigger. I've been carrying with a round ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety on or off?

Safety on or off?

I'm carrying a Taurus Millenium Pro PT-111. I carry it IWB in a holster that completely covers the trigger.

I've been carrying with a round chambered but the safety on. I don't want forgeting to turn the safety off cause me my life someday should I ever need my weapon.

I train by leaving the safety on so that turning it off before firing becomes a habit.

Since this is a DAO with a very long trigger pull would you be comfortable carrying with the safety off?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Yes i am lol , but if your not then dont . pick one way and train that way untill its natural and you will be fine .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Lead Moderator
    Yes, this is how I carryed my PT140. being LH, the safety was a pain to use and I saw little use for it with the long ,gritty trigger pull.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Depends on trigger

I don't mind carrying a semiauto without a manual safety engaged if the first trigger pull is long and reasonably firm. and the holster covers the trigger guard. I have carried Glocks, Sigs, H&Ks and a Walther PPK like this. On a single action gun like a 1911 you really have to carry cocked and safety locked, and I do.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I carried my Taurus both ways, actually. It all depended on the threat level. The safety on the 24/7 (and I assume yours, too) is very easy to disengage with a light swipe of the thumb.

If I felt uncomfortable, I'd reach up and disengage it without taking it out of the holster. If I was around my kids and wrestling a bit, It'd definitely be on safe.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    A safety on a DA or DAO pistol is only useful for lawyers.

This is why I prefer SIGS.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    when I carry my HK the safety is on....
    I've practiced with it enough that its second nature for the safety to come off when its coming out of the holster...
    but remember....the #1 safety between my ears is always on, finger off the trigger til its firing time
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    I carry my Sig 226 most times (no manual safety), but on occasion I carry my Glock 27 or Keltec P3AT (also no manual safety on both). I ran into this dilemma when I wanted to carry my Beretta 92f. I chose to carry it with the safety off.

I train with my Sig and Glock, so I am not "conditioned" to disengage a safety as part of my draw. I have trained enough that my training "should" kick in during any situation.

Furthermore, I do not like manual safeties on "carry" guns, for the same reason I always carry with one in the chamber, and I will only "carry" a proven and reliable gun. In the event I NEED to use it, I want to be sure it will work every time without the need to do anything extra. Combine that with a quality holster that covers the trigger, and "proper handling", and you should never have the need for a safety.

I teach firearms classes, and have collected a library of "shooting videos". In almost every situation, the difference between life and death is less than a second. During this time you must, decide to engage, draw, and fire (in such a way that you will hit the BG). For some shooters, these actions are not easily accomplished in a "no stress" environment like at the range, and are much harder in a "real life shooting".

With that said, now add the actions required to disengage a safety, or worse, chamber a round. Sure, some people say they can do it and some of them can. BUT, those people would be even quicker if they did not have to do it.

In my training and preparations, I like to remove EVERY unnecessary step, and end up with only the steps that are absolutely necessary. This will make me the fastest I can be, and eliminate as many "steps" that can foul things up. I have more than one video that shows a GG with a CCW who got the drop on a BG but lost because he forgot to disengage the safety. In do not want to invite "Murphy" to a life and death situation, and I am trying to minimize any opportunity for "him" to show up uninvited.

Hope this helps, Joe

I carry a firearm where first round is double action. Long trigger pull, then every other is single action. So no mechanical safety is used. Thus less to worry about if I have a real stressful encounter.
    The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

If it has a safety I use it, I have a 24\7 and the safety is on if you train with it, it becomes a non-issue. I can draw and shoot in the same amount if time with or without the safety on. My HK & PT945 I carry cocked and locked with the safety on.

I also have a mil pro but have switched my everyday carry to my Kimber 1911. When I do carry the Taurus it's safety is off. The trigger pull on it is long and hard; it doesn't go off without a determined effort by the shooter. With that gun I just never worried about an AD.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    being LH, the safety was a pain to use .
    I'm L.H. as well so I can't just swipe the safety with my thumb.

Safety off

When I carry my PT-111 (non PRO model) I carry it with a round in the chamber and the safety off. I see no reason to even have a safety on a double action only handgun that has a trigger pull as long and, honestly, as heavy as the PT-111's is.

I do not feel unsafe carrying it with the safety off.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Depends. On a PT-xxx, I would use the safety since I'm right handed and its easily accessed.

But for, say, a Berretta 92, any DA Smith, or anything else with the safety in the wrong spot, and backwards for a 1911 guy, I wouldnt bother using it, and I'd probably have it modified to be a decocker only.

I'll second the notion of depending upon the scene. Usually my PT-101 remains with the safety on, but there have been times that I have intentionally carried with the safety off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links