Magnet Firearm Holders Safety

This is a discussion on Magnet Firearm Holders Safety within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; During daylight hours I have installed a set of magnet holders for my semi in a hidden readily accessible location. These magnets, as advertised, can ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Magnet Firearm Holders Safety

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar

Magnet Firearm Holders Safety

During daylight hours I have installed a set of magnet holders for my semi in a hidden readily accessible location. These magnets, as advertised, can literally be installed anywhere and their powerful magnets will hold your firearm in place and readily accessible. The problem I just discovered that I wanted to share in the forum is the fact that when I remove the semi from the magnet and do so close to the magnet as I hold the semi in a horizontal position, the magnets are powerful enough to impact the safety lever on the semi and actually have it move from "safety" to "fire" w/o my even realizing it. If I should decide to keep a cartridge in the chamber, I now have a loaded semi that is "fire ready" w/o my immediate knowledge, unless I look at the safety position or the usual red dot indicating a "hot" gun. I intend to contact the supplier/mfgr or any others on web who offer same and mention this and perhaps they will at least include a small notice on the product warning purchasers that the best way to remove the semi from the magnet is to pull it away from magnet before sweeping it horizontally upward and near the magnet's pull, which can also pull the safety lever into a non-safety mode.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the safety info.
    possible fixes.
    place finger on safety till gun is removed from Magnet. ;)
    Keep finger off trigger till sights are on target.
    don't point the gun at any thing you do not wish to destroy.

Thanks for the heads up kelcarry, I have a couple of these magnets coming in today's mail.

I use one of these magnets in a hidden area of my bedroom. I used it with my Glock 17 so there's no 'safety' issue.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    During daylight hours I have installed a set of magnet holders for my semi in a hidden readily accessible location. These magnets, as advertised, can literally be installed anywhere and their powerful magnets will hold your firearm in place and readily accessible. The problem I just discovered that I wanted to share in the forum is the fact that when I remove the semi from the magnet and do so close to the magnet as I hold the semi in a horizontal position, the magnets are powerful enough to impact the safety lever on the semi and actually have it move from "safety" to "fire" w/o my even realizing it. If I should decide to keep a cartridge in the chamber, I now have a loaded semi that is "fire ready" w/o my immediate knowledge, unless I look at the safety position or the usual red dot indicating a "hot" gun. I intend to contact the supplier/mfgr or any others on web who offer same and mention this and perhaps they will at least include a small notice on the product warning purchasers that the best way to remove the semi from the magnet is to pull it away from magnet before sweeping it horizontally upward and near the magnet's pull, which can also pull the safety lever into a non-safety mode.
    Is there a safety available for your gun made of a non-magnetic material, such as aluminum or very high grade stainless?
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

How about not relying on a safety...and know that the gun is loaded at all times. Works for SIG, Glock, M&P...etc.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Your gun is securely hidden.
    You know the safety is off.
    As long as the magnet doesn't effect your index finger, it shouldn't be a problem.
    TVille, oakchas and GreyGhost like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    FYI I was able to replicate the event and found the problem. I store the semi in a vertical positon with grip up. The magnets are very strong and when I want to remove the gun I grab the grip and pull the gun up toward my body, the magnets tend to keep the gun close to the covering on the magnets which allows the gun to minimally "brush" along the magnet bar. With the safety located midway on gun, the "brushing" causes the safety to flip from safe to fire. Yes the problem is my immediate fault but it happens in such an innocuous manner that it could be a potential problem.

Links