Furrs was well-armed on Christmas.

This is a discussion on Furrs was well-armed on Christmas. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It wasn't my idea... but the family wanted to eat at Furr's cafeteria on Christmas morning. I think there were about 13 of us there, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Furrs was well-armed on Christmas.

It wasn't my idea... but the family wanted to eat at Furr's cafeteria on Christmas morning. I think there were about 13 of us there, including kids. We began to discuss our CHLs and discovered a couple of family members were carrying that we didn't even know had a CHL. So we know for sure 5 of us were armed, which was exactly half of the adults present. 3 men and 2 women. Being in Texas, and as packed as it was in that place, you can be sure at least another 5 or 10 people in there were carrying. So that would be possibly 15 or more people in there carrying.

I couldn't help but think of the difference between now and when a Luby's Cafeteria here in Texas was massacred back in 1991 before Texas allowed concealed carry. Back then, nobody in Luby's had a gun or means of self defense. Where, if somebody came in there shooting up the place on Christmas day, he wouldn't have lasted very long at all. He'd probably be dead before he got a second shot off.
    TN_Mike, JoJoGunn and jem102 like this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I feel the same way when in restaurants, church, or different places. I tend to look around to see who might be carrying just out of curiosity. I'm not naive enough to think I'm the only legally armed non-LEO in the place.

Glad it's not the Kileen Luby's era anymore...

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Furrs, huh? Guess there were at least 3 or 4 senior citizens in the mix...

I would wager 1/2 of the people in the place were packin, being in Texas and all.... Heck, if 1/2 of your family was carrying, they are a cross-section of populace & therefore a good gauge of expectation.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Each area will be different but what percent of the general population do you think are carrying (open or cc) I went to the movies last night. It was packed. Say 200 people in the theater. I know of two that were packing. that is 1%. I would guess that at least one percent of Idaho is carrying. I hope the numbers are actually much higher. Realistically what do you think the percentage is in your area?
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

I hope it is steadily growing higher, we are probably going to want as many Americans armed as possible sometime in the future.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Timezoneguy View Post
    Each area will be different but what percent of the general population do you think are carrying (open or cc) I went to the movies last night. It was packed. Say 200 people in the theater. I know of two that were packing. that is 1%. I would guess that at least one percent of Idaho is carrying. I hope the numbers are actually much higher. Realistically what do you think the percentage is in your area?
    I'm just guessing based on the statistics that Texas gives on number of CHL holders, vs. population. Since you have to exclude children, I'm thinking about 3% to 5% of the adult population around here is carrying. I really hope it is a lot higher, but I doubt it.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Its only shame that a mass shooting had to take place before TX was allowed to carry!

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I'm just guessing based on the statistics that Texas gives on number of CHL holders, vs. population. Since you have to exclude children, I'm thinking about 3% to 5% of the adult population around here is carrying. I really hope it is a lot higher, but I doubt it.
    Like most states, the number of permits have increased alot here in Michigan, however I don't think that all those that get permits regulary carry, at least not around here. I know about eight people that have permits, but as far as I know, only three carry all the time, or most of the time.

It may be a higher percentage in areas like Texas and Arizona. I think it also depends on the area of the state. One of the people I know that carrys all the time says that it seems more common in the smaller rural towns, than in the bigger cities.

I'm pretty sure the stats for Texas is still under 2% owning a license. Not many, but the number is climbing. But, even the few i know don't carry all the time.

Also, there are still acts of violence in public places.. although the ones that come to mind have been familicides.

I don't stare at guys' midsections all the time, but do occasionally look and haven't noticed a fellow carrier yet. Don't know if I've been made yet either.

It wasn't my idea... but the family wanted to eat at Furr's cafeteria on Christmas morning. I think there were about 13 of us there, including kids. We began to discuss our CHLs and discovered a couple of family members were carrying that we didn't even know had a CHL. So we know for sure 5 of us were armed, which was exactly half of the adults present. 3 men and 2 women. Being in Texas, and as packed as it was in that place, you can be sure at least another 5 or 10 people in there were carrying. So that would be possibly 15 or more people in there carrying.

I couldn't help but think of the difference between now and when a Luby's Cafeteria here in Texas was massacred back in 1991 before Texas allowed concealed carry. Back then, nobody in Luby's had a gun or means of self defense. Where, if somebody came in there shooting up the place on Christmas day, he wouldn't have lasted very long at all. He'd probably be dead before he got a second shot off.
    Good news all around.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by xeero View Post
    I don't stare at guys' midsections all the time, but do occasionally look and haven't noticed a fellow carrier yet. Don't know if I've been made yet either.
    I actually look, at times.. So far I've seen exactly one person that I believe was carrying. He was wearing a bulldog holster on his belt. If you are familiar with guns and concealed carry, that is hard to miss. As for anyone else, never been able to tell.

However, not everyone carries on their hip like most of us do. My wife carries hers in a bag (I'd say a purse, but it isn't really a purse.. more of a tactical bag). I have another friend who carries in a tactical "man purse." My father-in-law carries in a specially designed vest. So there are probably a lot of folks that carry in places we can't see.

FWIW, Texas is just a shade under 2% of total population holding a permit. Factor out the underaged and it might be 3-3.5% with permits. How many of those actually carry with any regularity? So if you and your significant other are in that 200 seat theater, odds are you are the only ones packing.

National average for permit holders runs about 1.9% of total population.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Hell, it's necessary to carry a firearm at Furr's to finish killing the food on the plate.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

My wife actually spotted someone in our neighborhood TexMex restaurant carrying. He was lightly printing at 3:30 under his pullover. Nice to know I wasn't alone.

Actully I thought Texas had closer to 10% of the adult population with CHLs.

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    FWIW, Texas is just a shade under 2% of total population holding a permit. Factor out the underaged and it might be 3-3.5% with permits. How many of those actually carry with any regularity? So if you and your significant other are in that 200 seat theater, odds are you are the only ones packing.

National average for permit holders runs about 1.9% of total population.
    That math seems wrong to me.. If there are 200 people in the theater, and assuming 2% of total population (since there are underage kids in the theater also) then 4 people should be armed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links