Homeless people

This is a discussion on Homeless people within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw a homeless man the other day, and it got me to thinking what if prior to being homeless they owned a handgun and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Homeless people

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Homeless people

I saw a homeless man the other day, and it got me to thinking what if prior to being homeless they owned a handgun and were somehow cast on to the street. Most states require an address in order to apply for a LCTF. If a homeless person wished to apply for a permit or had one prior to being homeless, could they now not carry because they don't have an address?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I don't think this would be on the minds of your everyday-garden-variety homeless person.
    I believe 95% of the homeless folks are chosing that way of life, as they are somehow, for one reason or another rejecting what you and I deem an appropriate way of life..(work-a-day world), house car job, and at least some form of social behavioral norm that allows that to occur.
    The other 5% are temporarily homeless and will not be for long.
    For them ,a homeless shelter adress might be enough????IDK

To answer your question, I don't see why not.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    My thought is I hear a lot of them getting beat down by a pack of teens etc... I'm sure they'd want a way to defend themselves if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I believe 95% of the homeless folks are chosing that way of life

To answer your question, I don't see why not.
    That is absurd. These people don't choose mental illness or post traumatic stress disorder for their service to this country (a large % of homeless are veterans)

You know 72.8% of statistics are completely made up don't you?
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    That is absurd. These people don't choose mental illness or post traumatic stress disorder for their service to this country (a large % of homeless are veterans)

Thank you! And I agree, that is one of these most absurd statements I have ever heard.
    mr.stuart likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post

If they had a mental illness of any kind, they would not qualify for a license anyway. However, I agree with the general premise of your statement. It is absurd.

mrm
    Well I agree with both sides but I sure do see alot of homeless people who are more physically able to work than I am with my back problems and sure dont have to much of a mental illness to come and ask me for money. So I think there are both kinds for sure. But to answer the question usually when you go to change your address and get the pink paper on the back they dont ask for proof (at least in my experience) so I think you would be fine getting a gun as long as you use the address on your id (and when they ask if its current you maybe fudge a little) or get the change and write whatever.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

anyone ever have an at length conversation with a homeless person and ask them why and how they became homeless? Its a sad, but interesting study if one so chooses to bother.
    I've had several conversations, and most end up homeless do to a combination of job loss, unexpected death in the family (one of the biggest contributors from the ones I spoke with) and a complete inability to deal with the day to day responsibilities that most of us here take for granted. Most felt they had no reason to go on with their normal life as it was in the past. We all can relate to the "end of the rope" syndrome. Some I spoke with just reached theirs and let go. Moving forward with their life did not happen and one month became a year, and then five. Hard to turn back at that point. Like career criminals, it is not easy to go from homeless to an upstanding, clean shaving 40/week employee.....almost impossible to break back into the real world when you don't have a clean pair of clothes, and no way to get them.
    ....and then there were those that just got tired of the day to day rat race, and chose living on the street as a totally carefree, no responsibility way of life (the minority of the ones I spoke with). Living under a viaduct in a card board box seemed comforting to them since they answered to no one, and lived day to day on what they could obtain from handouts. Not a way of life for most of us here, but it really worked for the ones I spoke with. To them, they felt they were beating the system. Sad, but true.
    In this economy, we are seeing more homeless folks here in Orlando than I can ever remember.....and as I pass them with their "hungry - need help" signs, I look inside myself, and realize that I am about just a few months without pay from being one of them.....but I just don't have the "I give up" type personality. I just work harder. Some just can't.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I am not gonna get involved with the reason people are homeless. I have my own opinions and they tend to piss people off about that subject, however as far as using an address can go to the OP's question. When I was doing a tour of recruiting for the Army we put a homeless guy on active duty and used the recruiting stations address for his Home of record. So, As long as he is not getting mail I guess they can use whatever address they want. maybe if they are living at a bus stop near the mall they can use they mall adress. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    anyone ever have an at length conversation with a homeless person and ask them why and how they became homeless? Its a sad, but interesting study if one so chooses to bother.
    I've had several conversations, and most end up homeless do to a combination of job loss, unexpected death in the family (one of the biggest contributors from the ones I spoke with) and a complete inability to deal with the day to day responsibilities that most of us here take for granted. Most felt they had no reason to go on with their normal life as it was in the past. We all can relate to the "end of the rope" syndrome. Some I spoke with just reached theirs and let go. Moving forward with their life did not happen and one month became a year, and then five. Hard to turn back at that point. Like career criminals, it is not easy to go from homeless to an upstanding, clean shaving 40/week employee.....almost impossible to break back into the real world when you don't have a clean pair of clothes, and no way to get them.
    ....and then there were those that just got tired of the day to day rat race, and chose living on the street as a totally carefree, no responsibility way of life (the minority of the ones I spoke with). Living under a viaduct in a card board box seemed comforting to them since they answered to no one, and lived day to day on what they could obtain from handouts. Not a way of life for most of us here, but it really worked for the ones I spoke with. To them, they felt they were beating the system. Sad, but true.
    In this economy, we are seeing more homeless folks here in Orlando than I can ever remember.....and as I pass them with their "hungry - need help" signs, I look inside myself, and realize that I am about just a few months without pay from being one of them.....but I just don't have the "I give up" type personality. I just work harder. Some just can't.

By far, the single greatest post I have read in my time on this forum. Thank you.

I agree with not having the "I give up attitude". My wife and I live so paycheck to paycheck it isn't even funny. One mistake, one unforeseen emergency and we are as good as "done". Thankfully we have faith in God to see us through each difficult time.

Too many take things for granted and think everyone that isn't doing as well as them are just lazy. Pretty pathetic to think that way.
    mr.stuart likes this.

Homeless folks are allowed to vote so they must be allowed to put down something for an address to register. If so couldn't they use that same address for a permit to carry?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    Outstanding. Very well said.

LCTF ??? Excuse my ignorance, but.... have no clue what an LCTF is.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    LCTF ??? Excuse my ignorance, but.... have no clue what an LCTF is.
    Yoda supporting the 2A. License Carry To Firearm.

"To carry a firearm concealed I wish."
    Herknav and Flasher like this.

Most homeless people do have a mailing address, usually provided by a local social service or outreach agency (City, County, etc.). That's how most get their correspondence (government check, social service letters, VA correspondence, etc.). I'm sure in a "shall issue" State, they should have no problems getting a permit if they meet the requirements and can afford to pay the license/permit and any required training.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links