Just what we need!!!

Just what we need!!!

This is a discussion on Just what we need!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gun fires from girl's purse in Cheyenne Starbucks | abc7chicago.com December 28, 2011 (CHEYENNE, Wyo.) -- Police in Wyoming say nobody was hurt when a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Just what we need!!!

Just what we need!!!

Gun fires from girl's purse in Cheyenne Starbucks | abc7chicago.com

December 28, 2011 (CHEYENNE, Wyo.) -- Police in Wyoming say nobody was hurt when a small gun that was inside a girl's purse fired while she was in a Cheyenne Starbucks.

The bullet went through a chair and into a wall and narrowly missed several customers.

Police say the mishap occurred while officers were at the coffee shop around 7 a.m. Monday. They found a gunshot hole in the purse and a small, Derringer-type, double-barrel .38 Special inside.

Authorities say the girl is under age 18 and didn't release her name. She was cited for underage possession of a firearm.

The Wyoming Tribune Eagle (Gun goes off in Starbucks - Wyoming Tribune Eagle Online ) reported that the girl's father had given her the gun and encouraged her to carry it for her protection. According to police records, she hasn't had any formal firearms training.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

I just saw this and was going to post it.

This is why I won't be packing in my diaper bag. I thought carrying on my person would be uncomfortable and a PITA, but is really is the safest option.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I'm wondering about the details, guns just don't "go off" by themselfs. I know a lot of those O/U derringers the firing pin don't have a saftey block & the firing pins rest against the primers but I'm wondering if she droped her purse on the hard floor,OR WHAT?

Whatever the case the Lady needs some training & a J frame.

Snowcake, if you carry a proper gun with a trigger guard, it's extremely unlikely you'll have the Wyoming girl's problem. A nice J-frame snub with a concealed or shrouded hammer would work just fine in your diaper bag, even better in a pocket holster (like a DeSantis Nemesis) secured with velcro. On-body carry is most secure, of course.
    640girl, BkCo1 and SR40c like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Another case of a gun unlawfully carried but made to sound like the guns fault or a fault of carrying guns in general. Every time I hear of a gun related incident, I wait to hear whether the perp. was lawfully in possession of the firearm. In most cases it is never reported. At least in this instant they reported the girl was under aged and so charged. I guess the details wouldn't really matter to an anti!
    OldVet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    I'm wondering about the details, guns just don't "go off" by themselfs. I know a lot of those O/U derringers the firing pin don't have a saftey block & the firing pins rest against the primers but I'm wondering if she droped her purse on the hard floor,OR WHAT?
    Only speculating, but my guess is that she was rummaging through 15 pounds of assorted junk in her bag. Bet you a Double Ristretto Venti Nonfat Organic Chocolate Brownie Frappuccino the gun didn't just fire without some physical provocation.
    IWLAFART and Charles07 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    If you are dumb enough to encourage your under-aged daughter to carry illegally, I expect you be dumb enough to be completely clueless regarding safe firearms handling in general.
    surefire7 and baren like this.

I'm not reading an article from Chicago about a gun in another state. I mean, I don't go to Chinese websites to read about the local seafood place 70 miles from where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by LongGoneDays View Post
    I'm not reading an article from Chicago about a gun in another state. I mean, I don't go to Chinese websites to read about the local seafood place 70 miles from where I live.
    You don't have to go to the website. I posted the text from the link in my post. :)

Sent from my Motorola Photon with Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Plenty of stupidity to go around on this one. Dad giving an underage child a gun to carry, without instructing her in proper useage and carry. Apparently not giving her some sort of holstert to carry it in. Daughter carrying it in her purse, although not said, I'd guess cocked. Mom gets her share of the blame too, she knew Dad had given her the gun to carry, and did not insist on training.

As to the thread title: "Just what we need!!!" Anyone who wants to use this as an arguement against CC, it's easy to respond to. Point out that the person did not have a permit, and that they could not legally obtain a permit. That they were breaking the law carrying and that Dad had broken the law by giving the minor child a gun to carry. It has nothing to do with legally carrying responsible adults. Ask them if they blame all legally licensed car drivers for the actions of someone driving a car illegally.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

A couple of years ago, I read about a car that ran into a Starbucks and hit a patron inside. Just what we legally licensed drivers needed, an example of a car injuring yet another innocent bystander. Why did our government ever let us behind the wheel in the first place. It is maddening I tell you. All these cars that, you can be certain, will lead to more innocent deaths and injuries. Think of all those uncaring heartless people that would rather support the rampant legalization of licensing drivers, than to support the good and compassionate move to ban autos. It is a redneck, backwoods notion that people should be able to drive a car in the first place.

An unsecured gun in a purse can easily get caught on other stuff in the purse....including the trigger. Same as gun in a pocket without a holster.

Both are mistakes IMO.
    NYCrulesU likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by CAS_Shooter View Post
    A couple of years ago, I read about a car that ran into a Starbucks and hit a patron inside. Just what we legally licensed drivers needed, an example of a car injuring yet another innocent bystander. Why did our government ever let us behind the wheel in the first place. It is maddening I tell you. All these cars that, you can be certain, will lead to more innocent deaths and injuries. Think of all those uncaring heartless people that would rather support the rampant legalization of licensing drivers, than to support the good and compassionate move to ban autos. It is a redneck, backwoods notion that people should be able to drive a car in the first place.
    You do know the title was posted in jest.

Sent from my Motorola Photon with Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    An unsecured gun in a purse can easily get caught on other stuff in the purse....including the trigger. Same as gun in a pocket without a holster.

Both are mistakes IMO.
    You sir, are 100% correct. Improper pocket/purse/bag carry is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by jwnewman View Post
    You do know the title was posted in jest.
    Yes, as was my reply.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links