Concealed carry permits up 270%...

This is a discussion on Concealed carry permits up 270%... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...in some counties in Iowa since the law changed this year... Nearly 95,000 added to the rolls of concealed carry permits issued in Iowa. That ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Concealed carry permits up 270%...

...in some counties in Iowa since the law changed this year...

Nearly 95,000 added to the rolls of concealed carry permits issued in Iowa. That means, barring renewals, the population of Iowans that can legally arm themselves most of the time is at least 3%. Nationally, I've heard it's about 1.5%, but am not certain of that figure...

Good for us!

Two articles...

One, calling the rise in permits "unbelievable" from The Des Moines Register: Link Here

Another in the Cedar Rapids Gazette: Link Here
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

The numbers are growing Nationwide!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Very good!

There about 280,000 licenses in Michigan now. With a population of about 10,000,000 that is about 2.8%. Plenty of room to grow.

West Virginia had a surge in permits this year (2011). The Sheriff Deputy I talk to down the hallway from my office teaches the class and he says they average about 20 people per session. Not all will apply, but a good majority will.

I think the current political situation and the rise in violent crime because no Government or Law Enforcement agency can prevent it are the main reasons why people want to carry a concealed handgun.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    . . .

I think the current political situation and the rise in violent crime because no Government or Law Enforcement agency can prevent it are the main reasons why people want to carry a concealed handgun.
    Yep. Tru dat.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    The statistic I'd like to see but have no idea how to collect is the percentage of permit holders who actually carry. I know 12 people with concealed carry permits. Only 2 of us carry full time, two more carry now and then, one carries rarely, the rest don't carry at all.

Packing takes dedication. You have to want to have the gun with you to accept the continuous responsibility that goes with it, make the changes in dress and behavior, and accept the inconvenience, that go with packing full time. It's not a hobby, it's a way of life. There is a huge difference between having the permit and putting it on every morning. Quite a few people have permits, but based on my experience, less than 20% are packing on a daily basis. If 20% have permits and 20% pack, that's 4 people in a hundred citizens packing.

People with permits do have guns they could carry, at least all of them I know do. That means they at least have one in the house, know how to load and fire it, which alters the odds for home invaders. A good thing. But again, the best defense in a home invasion is to have the gun on your person, not in a safe in another room. I know no one who doesn't carry daily who packs full time at home.

I'd love to see some good statistics on this but at the moment I have no idea where to look for them.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    The statistic I'd like to see but have no idea how to collect is the percentage of permit holders who actually carry. I know 12 people with concealed carry permits. Only 2 of us carry full time, two more carry now and then, one carries rarely, the rest don't carry at all.

Packing takes dedication. You have to want to have the gun with you to accept the continuous responsibility that goes with it, make the changes in dress and behavior, and accept the inconvenience, that go with packing full time. It's not a hobby, it's a way of life. There is a huge difference between having the permit and putting it on every morning. Quite a few people have permits, but based on my experience, less than 20% are packing on a daily basis. If 20% have permits and 20% pack, that's 4 people in a hundred citizens packing.

People with permits do have guns they could carry, at least all of them I know do. That means they at least have one in the house, know how to load and fire it, which alters the odds for home invaders. A good thing. But again, the best defense in a home invasion is to have the gun on your person, not in a safe in another room. I know no one who doesn't carry daily who packs full time at home.

I'd love to see some good statistics on this but at the moment I have no idea where to look for them.

Fitch
    Nationally, I quoted about 1.5% have permits... If your figures hold true (2 out of 12 carry all the time), that would mean that about 736,800 people carry on a daily basis in the U.S.. Or, about 2.4 people in 1000 you see on the street are carrying a concealed weapon... Or, in the case of a nearby city here, 244 people in the city of 210,000.

I am one of those people... as are many here... but as you can see, we are a rare breed.

In Chicago though, I think the opposite is true... I think there are far more carrying weapons in Chicago than 2.4 per thousand... Unfortunately, those people are all criminals.
    sdprof likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

For state by state info, see here.

That adds up to about 6 million permits in the USA. That's about 1.875% of total population, or about 2.5% of age eligible population.

South Dakota is at about 7.2% of total population, 9.5% of age eligible.

As to the question of how many actually carry, that's probably an unknowable value. A guesstimate of 1 in 10 permit holders regularly carrying is probably generous.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    For state by state info, see here.

That adds up to about 6 million permits in the USA. That's about 1.875% of total population, or about 2.5% of age eligible population.

South Dakota is at about 7.2% of total population, 9.5% of age eligible.

As to the question of how many actually carry, that's probably an unknowable value. A guesstimate of 1 in 10 permit holders regularly carrying is probably generous.
    Wow. Apparently, if the numbers in that link are accurate, I live in the state with the most CCW permits, PA. The data there says we have about 1.5X the next largest number but I have to wonder if some of those licenses are renewals - I'm not sure they are all first time licenses with all previous licenses being renewed so that number for PA could be way high.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Florida has 870,000 licensees as of November 30, 2011 or 4.6% of its population of 18,800,000.

the number of licensees skyrocketed in Florida starting in late 2008 (gee what caused that) from right at 500,000 or about a 74% increase in three years. Thanks Obie.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Now, if we can just eradicate dirtbags by 270%
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Now, if we can just eradicate dirtbags by 270%
    Do you mean BGs or politicians?
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    The numbers are growing Nationwide!
    OMG.....there will be blood flowing in the street. Shoot outs over parking conflicts. Domestic squabbles ending in gunshots. Duels over fender-benders....ending in death.

OMG...think of the children. think of the innocent kittens....

/sarcasm.
    protek and JoJoGunn like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links