How many times do you chamber a round before swapping?

This is a discussion on How many times do you chamber a round before swapping? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you use as a rule of thumb for how many times you chamber a round before tossing it in the "practice" bucket? At ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How many times do you chamber a round before swapping?

How many times do you chamber a round before swapping?

What do you use as a rule of thumb for how many times you chamber a round before tossing it in the "practice" bucket? At this point because I live with my parents still (until I get married in 4 months, I know I'm oldschool!) I unchamber the round I've carried all day and put a trigger lock on my M&P 40 each night and when it's not on my hip. I don't want to waste ammo since HST isn't cheap, nor do I want a malfunction especially if SHTF so what do you use as a rule of thumb?
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

2. Remove Ads

It depends on the ammo - some rounds are more prone to setback than others. After a few rechamberings I just set the "veteran" aside until I have a chance to compare it to other rounds from the same lot. If it looks beat up or shorter, it goes into the "range only" bin. Otherwise, I consider it good to go.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Federal took 3 chamberings in my 23 to get noticable setback. You really don't want to mess around, especially with .40. It is already loaded to high pressure.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    It depends on the ammo - some rounds are more prone to setback than others. After a few rechamberings I just set the "veteran" aside until I have a chance to compare it to other rounds from the same lot. If it looks beat up or shorter, it goes into the "range only" bin. Otherwise, I consider it good to go.
    +1 on what gasmitty said. While bullet set back is possible with any caliber, it seems .40 caliber is most susceptible and due to the pressures generated seems to cause most catastrophic failures.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My question is, why would you unload it just to lock it up?
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

VIP Member
    I never re-chamber the same cartridge twice.

The problem is:
    1. You still live with your parents, and;
    2. You haven't trained them in gun safety.

Seriously. Uh, rechambering a round or whatever, my response, being loaded hot at all times is 'huh?'

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    My firearm is always in a ready state - I chamber a round & it stays there until I either shoot it or eject it to clean the pistol. My various Gunvaults & my safe allow me to keep my pistols safe & readily accessible during those few moments when I don't carry.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

About every two or three days I will remove the magazines from my 9mm and the .380, pop the rounds from the chamber and shuffle the rounds. The problem is that dust, moisture and even dryness sometimes can make a round stick in the chamber and also the magazines.

Shuffling them around keeps them from sticking.

I even take my revolver, flip out the cylinder, remove the cartridges to see if any of them have signs of wear or just to keep them from getting stuck in the cylinder and then either put in different ones or put them back in after inspection.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    The problem is:
    1. You still live with your parents, and;
    2. You haven't trained them in gun safety.

Seriously. Uh, rechambering a round or whatever, my response, being loaded hot at all times is 'huh?'
    I don't carry a round in the chamber, ever. One day I might start, and it will be always. I just choose not to right now. But I never sometimes carry either way, so I never have to guess.

Whether you carry hot or not is not the question. Our guns get a round chambered when answering the door, etc. I suppose I'll have to start paying attention to set back.

Quote Originally Posted by NCGunDude View Post
    I don't carry a round in the chamber, ever. One day I might start, and it will be always. I just choose not to right now. But I never sometimes carry either way, so I never have to guess.

Whether you carry hot or not is not the question. Our guns get a round chambered when answering the door, etc. I suppose I'll have to start paying attention to set back.

Most modern semi-autos are designed to be carried with "one in the pipe." All police and others carry their handguns that way. The precious few seconds between racking the slide to chamber a round could mean the difference between life and death.

Why take the chance? I carry all the time with one in the chamber so my pistol is ready as soon as it clears leather. You really need to get over the fear of having a loaded weapon on you.
    tkruf, TN_Mike and surefire7 like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    There isn't a set amount of times a round is chambered before I toss it, the round will be discarded if setback is noticed at the time of inspection. I am not continuously chambering and un-chambering rounds, my guns stay loaded unless they are shot, cleaned, or I am practicing my draw stroke or dry firing. I am more vigilant with .40 S&W and the slightest variance between rounds will cause it to be disposed of.

I'm not terribly consistent on this, though I should be. Three, maybe 4 times before it's range fodder. I'm always chambered. My revolver is always ready to fire, so I don't see why my Glock shouldn't be. I'm trained to never put my finger on the trigger until ready to fire.... I learned that when I was a kid. I don't make exceptions for that, even with my soft air pistol.

that said, I only unchamber for the obvious reasons... cleaning/inspection, dry fire practice.

I carry a revolver, so it doesn't matter how many times I reload the same cartridges. I do dump the cylinder 1-2 a week to make sure no grime or crud has worked its way it, otherwise for use wheel gunners its a non-issue.

I may chamber the same round a couple of times before I set it aside for the "shoot me first stack at the range" ammo.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links