A few questions regarding changing the address on a CHL...

This is a discussion on A few questions regarding changing the address on a CHL... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let's say that someone owns two houses and has recently moved from one to another. If the mail is routed to the new house and ...

Thread: A few questions regarding changing the address on a CHL...

A few questions regarding changing the address on a CHL...

Let's say that someone owns two houses and has recently moved from one to another. If the mail is routed to the new house and ownership is maintained of the old house, does the 30 day rule to change the address apply?

If one forgets to submit a change of address and does so past the deadline, are there usually penalties?

I know that legal advice here is not typically reliable, but I'm just looking for opinions and experiences. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    IANAL and not that up on OR laws, but I believe the requirement to do a change of address will still apply. The address hey want on hand is your current permanent residence.

As to penalties, that will vary. I doubt there are any monetary penalties. However by not filing the change may very well invalidate your permit, which could bring unlicensed carry charges if caught.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

How would they know when you moved? Just submit the change of address and be done with it.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Alright guys, thanks for the responses. I'll be going in tomorrow to get the address changed. In order to do this, I need to get the address on my driver's license changed as well.

Once I send in my applications for a change in address, can I carry/drive with the outdated address until my new one comes in the mail?

As long as the address on your permit matches the address on your driver's license, I hardly think you'll have a problem.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for the response.

If, say, the driver's license comes in before my CHL, will be unable to carry until my new CHL comes in due to conflicting addresses?

Sorry if these questions seem elementary - I'm new to this whole process.

DISCLAIMER: I know nothing about Oregon. However, according to Handgunlaw.us, Oregon permits are issued via the county sheriff. You don't mention if both residences are in the same county. If they are, it looks like you're out $15 for the addresss change. If not, I think you're in the same boat. The website doesn't mention anything about reapplying for a CHL, but you never know.

http://landru.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html Section 166.295 of the applicable Oregon law (albeit 2009 edition) says (in part): "If a licensee changes residence, the licensee shall report the change of address and the sheriff shall issue a new license as a duplication for a change of address." I see nothing about 30 days, but I wouldn't advertise the fact that you went over. Call the local SO or check out the website and get the skinny on what you need to bring.

It would appear that you can change your DL online: Oregon DMV Changing Your Address. Here is where I see a 30 day limit.

retsupt has given you the conservative solution to your question in Post #4. You have to weigh your perceived need to carry against your ability to explain to the Officer Friendly why they MAY not match. Check you local laws. I know in TX, they HAVE to match. This is easier since both are issued by DPS. In OR, there should be leeway since the licenses are issued by 2 different agencies. If the SO can get you a new CHL while you wait and you can show a copy of documents to sent in to get your DL changed, you might be able to talk your way out of it. What do your registration and insurance have listed as your address? The more things that match, the better off you are.

I don't know that this has helped much, but you get what you pay for.

Best of luck,
    Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Links