This infuriates me

This infuriates me

This is a discussion on This infuriates me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a recent letter to the editor in a local paper. Dear Editor, Several years ago I went to the trouble and expense of ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: This infuriates me

This infuriates me

This is a recent letter to the editor in a local paper.

Dear Editor,

Several years ago I went to the trouble and expense of obtaining a Concealed Weapon Permit which includes a background check complete with fingerprinting.

A few months ago, I was stopped for speeding and made the mistake of not immediately telling the officer that I had a gun in my vehicle. From that point forward I was treated as a common criminal both by the arresting officer and the district attorney.

Incredulously, the pernalty for my oversight was the same as for a drug offender and your district attorney pressed for jail time and the maximum fine(which forced me to plea bargain, cost several thousand dollars and gave me a criminal record).

Ironically, if I had been a criminal. the officer would never have known that I had a gun. Not only does the law need to be changed, but also your D.A. needs to use some common sense and make the punishment fit the crime, not a revenue producer that unduly punishes law abiding citizens.

I'm withholding his name

I'm angry about this on many levels. First of all, what business is it of an officer whether I have a gun? He should assume everyone has a gun because it is their Constitutional right to have one, not infringed.

Secondly, why does the law not demand that those without a permit inform the officer as apposed to the person with a permit, the permit says enough.

Thirdly, why should my right to carry a firearm cost me one penny? Why should it cost me one minute of time getting a permit?

WHY THE HELL DOES THE PERMIT HOLDER AND LAW ABIDING CITIZEN BECOME THE ONE TREATED LIKE A CRIMINAL?

Just another example of the federal government not doing its job and a local government being illegally facist.

VIP Member
    Maybe he should have followed the law. IMO the officer was right.

I don't like must inform laws but if you are going to carry a concealed weapon you'd better not take that responsibility lightly. Know the law and obey the law. This guy didn't and it's his own fault that he got hammered.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I will go on record by saying that I hate the "duty to inform" law. This is stupid and Leo are no more in danger if it wasn't required. I have a duty to inform when I visit Ohio but I am glad that my home state of Florida does not.

Its just another burden on law abiding citizens IMHO!
    Guest1 and GlockZombie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Maybe he should have followed the law. IMO the officer was right.

I don't like must inform laws but if you are going to carry a concealed weapon you'd better not take that responsibility lightly. Know the law and obey the law. This guy didn't and it's his own fault that he got hammered.
    As far as I'm concerned, he did. His 2nd amendment right says he can and "shall not be infringed". You obviously judge from an "accept the facist states illegal authority" stand point.

Honestly, was it worth this much punishment? Personally, I will only inform the officer due to the trouble he can cause me, not because I think it is lawful or any of his business.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maat View Post
    This is a recent letter to the editor in a local paper.

Dear Editor,

Several years ago I went to the trouble and expense of obtaining a Concealed Weapon Permit which includes a background check complete with fingerprinting.

A few months ago, I was stopped for speeding and made the mistake of not immediately telling the officer that I had a gun in my vehicle. From that point forward I was treated as a common criminal both by the arresting officer and the district attorney.

Incredulously, the pernalty for my oversight was the same as for a drug offender and your district attorney pressed for jail time and the maximum fine(which forced me to plea bargain, cost several thousand dollars and gave me a criminal record).

Ironically, if I had been a criminal. the officer would never have known that I had a gun. Not only does the law need to be changed, but also your D.A. needs to use some common sense and make the punishment fit the crime, not a revenue producer that unduly punishes law abiding citizens.

I'm withholding his name

I'm angry about this on many levels. First of all, what business is it of an officer whether I have a gun? He should assume everyone has a gun because it is their Constitutional right to have one, not infringed.

Secondly, why does the law not demand that those without a permit inform the officer as apposed to the person with a permit, the permit says enough.

Thirdly, why should my right to carry a firearm cost me one penny? Why should it cost me one minute of time getting a permit?

WHY THE HELL DOES THE PERMIT HOLDER AND LAW ABIDING CITIZEN BECOME THE ONE TREATED LIKE A CRIMINAL?

Just another example of the federal government not doing its job and a local government being illegally facist.
    Don't know what state the guy is from, but your state and mine (Oklahoma) DOES require those with a CHL to inform any officer who stops you in any official capacity to inform him that you are legally armed. And unlike Texas (which has the same requirement), there IS a penalty if you do not inform.

Officers from most any jurisdiction will often ask anyone they stop if there are any weapons in the car -- and if there is and you don't tell them, you can be in a world of hurt. That is just how it is these days.

I have an Oklahoma CHL and I always tell the officer whenever I get stopped. It usually works out well, I NEVER get a ticket anymore.

But, I understand your frustration. Too bad it isn't 1791 anymore.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    Don't know what state the guy is from, but your state and mine (Oklahoma) DOES require those with a CHL to inform any officer who stops you in any official capacity to inform him that you are legally armed. And unlike Texas (which has the same requirement), there IS a penalty if you do not inform.

Officers from most any jurisdiction will often ask anyone they stop if there are any weapons in the car -- and if there is and you don't tell them, you can be in a world of hurt. That is just how it is these days.

I have an Oklahoma CHL and I always tell the officer whenever I get stopped. It usually works out well, I NEVER get a ticket anymore.

But, I understand your frustration. Too bad it isn't 1791 anymore.
    Again, what business is it of the officer? IMO, he can ask if he wants to know. He knows I have a permit before he gets to the car. He should assume I have a gun and anyone else for that matter. My forgeting to tell him should not be a huge issue.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    I will go on record by saying that I hate the "duty to inform" law. This is stupid and Leo are no more in danger if it wasn't required. I have a duty to inform when I visit Ohio but I am glad that my home state of Florida does not.

Its just another burden on law abiding citizens IMHO!
    Exactly. I will tell them because they demand it, but imo, it is not necessary or Constitutional.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Whether or not you like it, you have to obey the law. ESPECIALLY if you're a CWP holder. No other way to it, unless you WANT to lose your permit.

I hate having to tell the officer; but the one time I've been stopped while carrying, I did, and the officer was really cool about it. While I agree with you about the permit should make it clear to the officer that you're carrying/have a weapon in the vehicle, that just isn't enough- you have to make sure they understand that YES you have a permit and YES you have 'it' with you.

While I like to believe that all LEOs can add 2+2, I won't bet my permit/right to carry on it.
    ironmike86 and SIXTO like this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I'm assuming that each CCW permit holder KNOWS his/her own state laws...one better be REAL sure of the laws of any state crossed into...no excuses!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I do lots of interstate traveling, and make a point of knowing the "must inform" status of each particular state prior to crossing the state line. Stupid, unfair, draconian, harsh, whatever, the price of ignorance and/or noncompliance is entirely too high, and easily avoided.

Pray that you dont get pulled over by Harless who wont let you inform....just saying!

I think we all agree that laws are either not fair or Constitutional. People that carry are always saying how they are law abiding citizens but end up breaking a law. In this case, the man knew the law and forgot to tell the officer. I'm sorry, but how can you forget? He remembers his license, insurance, and registration but forgets he has a gun?? Until the laws change we have to obey them. And we all agree that the punishment does not fit the crime. At most they should be misdemeanors.
    RoadKill likes this.

Concealed carry is a privilege just like driving a car. A license means you will obey and follow state laws or it can be taken away. Ignorance isn't an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    Concealed carry is a privilege just like driving a car. A license means you will obey and follow state laws or it can be taken away. Ignorance isn't an excuse.
    Hmmmmm!

I don't think we need "Must inform", as most would anyway..... but, the penalty should not be a major crime either. If they weren't law-abiding, I really doubt they would have gotten a permit.

I'm glad in my state, it is NOT a "must inform" state. But, if an officer pulls you over and runs your tag, he already knows you have a permit. It's not been an issue here with the police.

The only time I've had an issue was with a dispatcher...... called them to tell them I just saw a guy break into a place and was hauling things out, and then was headed down the street with them.... the dispatcher saw I had a permit, asked me if I had a gun, which I did, and spent the next 25 minutes....... talking to me in "panic" about the fact I had a gun on me. I even kept telling her, that I was no longer at the scene... they could send an officer and catch the guy going down the street all loaded down with stuff, had a description, and knew my name if they wanted me...... Finally told the dispatcher.... "hey, I"m not there .... I don't plan to go back there, let the guy rip the stuff off, I don't care.... and I don't intend to answer anymore of your questions.... at this point you are way more concerned about what I"m doing legally, then the guy who's illegally ripping those people off, so I consider our conversation OVER", and I hung up.

I had another incident with a dispatcher when calling something in to them (a crime in progress) , and went back to them .... talked to their Supervisor and filed an offical complaint, which meant they had to pull the tape and have a review board review it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links