Texas encounter

This is a discussion on Texas encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok so this happened memorial day weekend but iv not been online much. So driving from columbus to dallas i was carrying a glock 19 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Texas encounter

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Texas encounter

Ok so this happened memorial day weekend but iv not been online much.

So driving from columbus to dallas i was carrying a glock 19 and 3 spare 15 round magazines for a total of 61 rounds (60+1) when i get pulled over by a hunt county sheriffs deputy for what he called an improper lane change.

I seen him coming up behind me pretty fast and slow down and was thinking i what the hell. He pulls me over and i turn on my four ways and put the windows down and shut off the motor. He gets to the window and i immediately inform him im carrying, he asked where and i told him right side hip. He then has me place the glock on the empty passenger seat and then he picks it up and places it in the glove box. After doing so he asked me to walk back to his car. On the walk back he asked if there was anything else he should know about and i told him of the 3 extra magazines and he asked me to take those back to the car then made a joke by asking me if i was planning on a shoot out which i replied that if i had i would have brought a long gun, this (gun and ammo) was incase i got car jacked in dallas. He asked about permits which i gave him my pa permit which he tried to have his dispatcher run which she could not, he was not concerned with calling the number to verify it. He then proceeded to tell me not to worry since you can have a weapon in your car even without a permit. He wrote me a warning and off we both went. A mile up the road he had another car stopped.

Thoughts on the encounter? It was my first and only real leo encounter to date. Id rather not have touched the gun at all but i felt the need to comply with his orders.

--------------------------------------
    Sent from my Sprint Photon using Tapatalk
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like it went ok to me. Any stop with only a warning is a good stop.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Sounds like it all went off without a hitch. I can only hope any future encounters of mine end up as well. Ya done good.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Sounds like it went ok to me. Any stop with only a warning is a good stop.
    I think he was on a fishing trip looking for drugs or drunk drivers. He had just released a car before getting me, which was the reason for my lane change, to merge over to the lane away from the shoulder for his safety.

--------------------------------------
    Sent from my Sprint Photon using Tapatalk
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Sounds fair to me. Just glad we do not have to inform.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    You did the right thing. He had you remove the pistol and then separated you from it for his safety. The fact that you were up front about it will in most cases make the officer feel more secure in the since you are not trying to hide anything. All and all not bad. Every once and a while you might get a cop who is anti gun and wants you to know it. Most times however cops at least know that citizens can carry a weapon and won't give them to much grief as long as they are not getting a man with a gun call from someone who is scared of guns. The only problem I've ever had was when an officer in Ohio didn't know that they honored my Florida license.

I agree with the fishing trip theory...no ticket, no harm.:
    garyacman likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sounds like all's well that ends well. Seems he was a LEO with an even temperment and common sense. He felt comfortable enough to have you remove your gun and not get all Harless on you. Good job on both your parts.

I have been pulled over twice here in texax.

I informrd and got a yawn resoonse.

I got a warning in both cases for driving infraction
    garyacman likes this.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

VIP Member
    Most LEO's I talk to don't want you to get your hands near the gun, let alone touch it. Otherwise, glad it went well.
    hogdaddy likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Hope you enjoyed your stay down here.

I think you should have gotten the ticket, they are having some revenue shortfalls down in Austin, and I would rather out of staters pay up than have our taxes raised.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Seems like a pretty good stop to me. No real problems. if you had to be disarmed (officers prerogative) at least he let you do it instead of trying to reach over you and do it himself and risk an ND that could have injured or killed you. Seems like he already knew you were a good guy at that point. So over all, I'd say it was a good stop.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Sounds to me like a decent incident with the officer.

During a traffic stop for speeding in Kansas last year, I informed young officer I had a handgun in the motorcycle trunk next to my paperwork. He asked if he could secure it. My response:"You're the man in charge". He unloaded it (Polish P-64) stuck the handgun in his belt, handed me the magazine and one bullet.................and we proceeded to discuss firearms for about 20 minutes. He was curious about the P-64 9x18 Makarov.

Got a verbal warning about 15 over speed limit. Let me load the handgun and place it in trunk and I was on my way.

VIP Member
    Sounds like everything went well. A warning is a lot better than a couple of hundred dollar fine.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sounds like you did the right thing by informing the officer you were carrying. And did what he wanted you to do. Glad it went well. I just wish all leos were like that. Stay safe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links