Traffic Stop

This is a discussion on Traffic Stop within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Two weeks ago, I decided to sell a H&R 622 .22 caliber pistol to a friend of mine at work. I knew my wife was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Traffic Stop

Traffic Stop

Two weeks ago, I decided to sell a H&R 622 .22 caliber pistol to a friend of mine at work. I knew my wife was giving me some gun money for Christmas and I wanted to augment that. As yet, I do not have a carry permit for Oklahoma.

I placed the unloaded, holstered pistol on the pickup seat beside me and started my truck. It rained the night before and apparently I have a crack in the left headlight lens - the instant I turned on the lights, the left headlamp blew. I'm sure you can see where this is headed.

Five miles down the road, a Norman PD officer lit me up. I pulled over, grabbed my license, registration and insurance.

Approaching the driver's side window from behind, the officer greeted me and asked for those documents. As I handed them to him, I informed him that I had an unloaded pistol on the seat beside me - that I was transporting it to my place of work. I asked if he would like to examine it.

"No," he said. "Just keep your hands on the wheel and we'll be done here in a minute."

He explained that he had, of course, stopped me for the headlight. I explained it; he laughed and said he has an old truck that does the same thing. I received a warning for the headlight and a smile.

Just thought people might like to hear this kind of story since there are so many negative ones floating around about officers and folks with firearms.
    swiftyjuan, SigHawk, SGT and 2 others like this.
    In the big cosmic scheme of things, it's hardly important that mankind has squandered his... hey, where the hell did my beer go?

2. Remove Ads

Very good to hear! We need more LEO's with that attitude.
    SGT and NYCrulesU like this.

Believe it or not, Cops are human too.
    RMS and Guest1 like this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Good stop

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    all meetings should be as smooth as yours.
    I've heard others say it happened to them and it has to me also that the LEO, upon me telling him that I'm armed etc
    that he said what your did and that--if you intended me harm it would have already happened; so, just don't touch it now...

this is logical and rational. unfortunately some LEO have to maintain the 'in control, power' mind set and than the situation (from the drivers pov) deteriorates.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Some smiling conversation and no ticket...nice!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good stop. Nice LEO with common sense, which goes a long way.
    NYCrulesU likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

fix your headlight.....lol
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Went about like it should have!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Good stop, glad to see the LEO was smooth as well. I just know the more good encounters we have with LEO and general population about firearms the less everyone will be freaked out.

All the LEOs I know treat people the way they treat the LEO. They are just human and they do usually see more of the darker side of humanity than most other professions so a giving them a little respect usually goes a long way.
    RMS likes this.

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good stop all aroound. Having lived in OK for 18 years, I can say the dealings I had with LEO there were all favorable. Sure, there are going to be a bad apple now and then, but that goes for everywhere.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

To be perfectly honest,over time in the States that have had Concealed carry for awhile LEO stops are pretty easy going.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

sgb
    Kudos to a good Officer.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Therewolf View Post
    Two weeks ago, I decided to sell a H&R 622 .22 caliber pistol to a friend of mine at work. I knew my wife was giving me some gun money for Christmas and I wanted to augment that. As yet, I do not have a carry permit for Oklahoma.

I placed the unloaded, holstered pistol on the pickup seat beside me and started my truck. It rained the night before and apparently I have a crack in the left headlight lens - the instant I turned on the lights, the left headlamp blew. I'm sure you can see where this is headed.

Five miles down the road, a Norman PD officer lit me up. I pulled over, grabbed my license, registration and insurance.

Approaching the driver's side window from behind, the officer greeted me and asked for those documents. As I handed them to him, I informed him that I had an unloaded pistol on the seat beside me - that I was transporting it to my place of work. I asked if he would like to examine it.

"No," he said. "Just keep your hands on the wheel and we'll be done here in a minute."

He explained that he had, of course, stopped me for the headlight. I explained it; he laughed and said he has an old truck that does the same thing. I received a warning for the headlight and a smile.

Just thought people might like to hear this kind of story since there are so many negative ones floating around about officers and folks with firearms.
    This is likely directed at me. The difference here is that you were not obligated to inform him or at peril for not doing so. Having a loaded gun with a permit should not be any different, imo and that of the US Constitution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links