Another traffic stop

Another traffic stop

This is a discussion on Another traffic stop within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This occurred more than a dozen years ago, but was reminded of it reading JerryMac's discussion. South Carolina stipulates pistol must be stored in glove ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gunthorp
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Another traffic stop

Another traffic stop

This occurred more than a dozen years ago, but was reminded of it reading JerryMac's discussion.
    South Carolina stipulates pistol must be stored in glove box. Not merely concealed, but specifically "glove box".
    I can only assume this law was enacted during the era of microwave oven size gloveboxes or the idea that people only travelled with derringers.

I was stopped by a game warden on an isolated, country road for suspicion of being a poacher, although I have never been a hunter, legal or otherwise.
    I figure I was profiled on the basis of my appearance and the fact I was driving an older pickup truck out in the woods during hunting season with out of state tags. I can't argue with the rationale behind the stop.
    The .44 with 6.5 inch barrel was laying on the seat between my friend and I, who owned the gun at the time.
    He admitted the gun was his and was promptly ticketed for $160 on the spot. The other option being go to jail and post bond.
    We had enough cash between us to pay the man, which we did.

Upon completing the transaction, the officer told us to secure the weapon in the glove box and we were free to go. He stood and watched as we twisted and turned the big revolver every which way, but it simply wouldn't fit. You can't pour ten gallons of water into a five gallon can.

Realizing it was a useless endeavor, the officer just shook his head and walked away. I was sitting there, wondering what was next when he just drove away.
    One could surmise that he gave us a break, but I see it differently. He was fully aware that even with the best of intentions we could not comply with the law, yet he had no problem taking the money without fully resolving the situation or suggesting an alternative.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    One can be ticketed for money on the spot?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

. sounds like he just needed some lunch money .

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Yes. Most Game Wardens have the power to take your firearms, take you to jail or worse.

I know the one's in West Virgina and you don't mess with them. They also are armed with Sig. .45's and would definitely use it if they felt threatend.

Going after "poachers" is a very dangerous proposition. Some whack job hunters would think nothing of killing a Game Warden. That's why they are like they are.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    In Cancun I kept a $5 USD bill around my DL. I kept a $20 in my pocket in case I ran someone over.
    grouse likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I hope that ridiculous SC law has been repealed in the intervening years.
    Last edited by Naufragia; December 30th, 2011 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naufragia View Post
    I hope that ridiculous SC law has been repealed in intervening years.
    Not according to opencarry.org it hasn't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Yes. Most Game Wardens have the power to take your firearms, take you to jail or worse.

I know the one's in West Virgina and you don't mess with them. They also are armed with Sig. .45's and would definitely use it if they felt threatend.

Going after "poachers" is a very dangerous proposition. Some whack job hunters would think nothing of killing a Game Warden. That's why they are like they are.
    Comparing poachers to hunters is like comparing CC Permit holders to armed criminals. The only similarity is they both use a weapon.
    Inspector71 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Not anymore
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Not anymore
    Please explain...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Please explain...
    I'm not sure if it was a state decision or a national thing, I'd have to look it up, but a few years ago it was ruled that officers cannot take cash payment in the field for obvious reasons. I agree with it, set aside the possible abuse, it simply looks bad. I do know of several states that will allow you to pay by credit card on the spot though.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Don't expect common sense to play a part in South Carolina's gun laws. You can carry your weapon (loaded) secured in the glove box, or console of your truck. Nobody really knows exactly what "secured" means as some glove boxes are lockable while others are not (same with consoles). And this is for anybody driving a vehicle, not just those of us with CCPs. Wait, it gets even better.

What if you ride a motorcycle? Can you carry a pistol on a bike "secured" in a saddle bag, even a hard, lockable bag? Again, nobody really knows as the law doesn't specifically address the issue. IIRC attempts are underway to resolve motorcycle carry issues.

Another odd issue is carrying a pistol under the seat of a vehicle. Can't do it, even if you have a concealed carry permit. So in your own vehicle if you have a CCP you can have the handgun concealed on your person but can't conceal it under the seat, secured or otherwise.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

Quote Originally Posted by MustangGT View Post
    This occurred more than a dozen years ago, but was reminded of it reading JerryMac's discussion.
    South Carolina stipulates pistol must be stored in glove box. Not merely concealed, but specifically "glove box".
    I can only assume this law was enacted during the era of microwave oven size gloveboxes or the idea that people only travelled with derringers.

I was stopped by a game warden on an isolated, country road for suspicion of being a poacher, although I have never been a hunter, legal or otherwise.
    I figure I was profiled on the basis of my appearance and the fact I was driving an older pickup truck out in the woods during hunting season with out of state tags. I can't argue with the rationale behind the stop.
    The .44 with 6.5 inch barrel was laying on the seat between my friend and I, who owned the gun at the time.
    He admitted the gun was his and was promptly ticketed for $160 on the spot. The other option being go to jail and post bond.
    We had enough cash between us to pay the man, which we did.

Upon completing the transaction, the officer told us to secure the weapon in the glove box and we were free to go. He stood and watched as we twisted and turned the big revolver every which way, but it simply wouldn't fit. You can't pour ten gallons of water into a five gallon can.

Realizing it was a useless endeavor, the officer just shook his head and walked away. I was sitting there, wondering what was next when he just drove away.
    One could surmise that he gave us a break, but I see it differently. He was fully aware that even with the best of intentions we could not comply with the law, yet he had no problem taking the money without fully resolving the situation or suggesting an alternative.
    The basic rule is that you can legally carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle if it is secured in a closed glove compartment, a closed console, or in the trunk. You may also transport the handgun if it is in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and if that container is in the luggage compartment. In a truck, the luggage compartment is the area behind the rearmost seat, but not under the front seat. If you keep the handgun in the luggage compartment, it must be in a closed container secured by an integral fastener. A closed container is best defined as a relatively strong container that is capable of fully encasing the handgun and closing completely with a handgun inside. Integral fastener is a latch or lock that is designed to be a functioning element of the container and capable of keeping the container closed and the contents inside the container. The case does not need to be locking in the sense of a padlock or combo lock, but, rather, clasping in the sense of gun case latches, fishing tackle box clasps, or an ice cooleer snap straps. It has been determined that a zippered gun rug or nylon case, and a hard plastic gun case with clasps are good examples of qualifying containers.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBaddaBoom View Post
    Don't expect common sense to play a part in South Carolina's gun laws. You can carry your weapon (loaded) secured in the glove box, or console of your truck. Nobody really knows exactly what "secured" means as some glove boxes are lockable while others are not (same with consoles). And this is for anybody driving a vehicle, not just those of us with CCPs. Wait, it gets even better.

What if you ride a motorcycle? Can you carry a pistol on a bike "secured" in a saddle bag, even a hard, lockable bag? Again, nobody really knows as the law doesn't specifically address the issue. IIRC attempts are underway to resolve motorcycle carry issues.

Another odd issue is carrying a pistol under the seat of a vehicle. Can't do it, even if you have a concealed carry permit. So in your own vehicle if you have a CCP you can have the handgun concealed on your person but can't conceal it under the seat, secured or otherwise.
    Without a permit, the most important thing to remember about motorcycles is that the handgun must be secured inside of a compartment. You can legally carry a handgun inside a saddlebag, side compartment, or rear compartment so long as the compartment can be securely closed.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Thank-you for the clarification 1SG, as I will be crossing the Savannah River soon.
    The vehicle in question(which I still own and always will) was a 1970 Ford. There was a bench seat with no console and the area behind the seat is non-existent, as it's occupied by the fuel tank.
    Looking back, maybe when the game warden shook his head and walked away he was feeling the same frustration I was at the situation.
    Had I known about being able to secure the weapon in a container, and I suppose I should have researched this before undertaking my trip, I would have gladly complied.
    As I indicated in the last sentence, he could have shared this alternative to me, had he known. And if he didn't know, he certainly should have.

[quote: he had no problem taking the money without fully resolving the situation or suggesting an alternative.]

Sixto, certain jurisdictions may not allow their officers to collect cash payments in the field, but it is not a national decision. In Colorado, for wildlife violations, you have the option of paying in the field, paying by mail, or showing up for a court appearance. If the defendant chooses to pay in the field, he is issued a cash payment receipt and he receives the court copy of the ticket, as proof that the ticket will not be docketed in court.

Links