SC Finest Starting Early

This is a discussion on SC Finest Starting Early within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As usual, there has been INCREASED law enforcement presence on the roads of SC during the holidays and it ramps up significantly for the New ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 2 Post By Hiram25
  • 1 Post By DocPMD
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By gigamortis

Thread: SC Finest Starting Early

SC Finest Starting Early

As usual, there has been INCREASED law enforcement presence on the roads of SC during the holidays and it ramps up significantly for the New Years revelers. Well, last night (30th), my wife and I were coming home after a nice meal at Olive Garden. It was only about 8:30 p.m. Dropping down a hill and approaching the county line, I could see ahead of me, numerous taillights, indicating a probable road block/license check at a well known/used location. I found it interesting that they started the night before New Years Eve. Anyway, I fell into line, and it was a road block/license check, consisting of Deputy Sheriffs and SC Highway Patrol working together. When my turn came up, I eased up to the officer, turned my overhead light on, rolled my window down, handed him my SC CWP first and the my DL and immediately informed him I was armed. He looked me in the eye, said "Thank you for letting me know." He asked if the vehicle was mine, walked to the rear to check my tags, came back up, gave me my DL and CWP back, and said "Be Safe".

I can't imagine how the encounter could have gone any smoother.

Happy "almost" New Years everyone, and be safe!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    As usual, there has been INCREASED law enforcement presence on the roads of SC during the holidays and it ramps up significantly for the New Years revelers. Well, last night (30th), my wife and I were coming home after a nice meal at Olive Garden. It was only about 8:30 p.m. Dropping down a hill and approaching the county line, I could see ahead of me, numerous taillights, indicating a probable road block/license check at a well known/used location. I found it interesting that they started the night before New Years Eve. Anyway, I fell into line, and it was a road block/license check, consisting of Deputy Sheriffs and SC Highway Patrol working together. When my turn came up, I eased up to the officer, turned my overhead light on, rolled my window down, handed him my SC CWP first and the my DL and immediately informed him I was armed. He looked me in the eye, said "Thank you for letting me know." He asked if the vehicle was mine, walked to the rear to check my tags, came back up, gave me my DL and CWP back, and said "Be Safe".

I can't imagine how the encounter could have gone any smoother.

Happy "almost" New Years everyone, and be safe!

not that i agree with check points .. sounds like a decent polite officer . A+

That's a happy ending! They are really tough up here in Manitowoc Co, W.I. They inspect the exterior of your car for anything out of place. Seldom do they cut any slack.

I'm told that they have these kinds of road blocks/safety checks in Russia, too!

First Sgt, at lease you had no problems...
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; January 1st, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
    jmiked, DocPMD, jrclen and 1 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If they can take a few drunks off the road, and help me get home in one piece, I say Go For It!
    First Sgt and bigdog44 like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    If they can take a few drunks off the road, and help me get home in one piece, I say Go For It!
    I don't want drunks on the road any more than anyone else does, but sometimes the ends don't justify the means.
    thieltech likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm told that they have these kinds of road blocks/safety checks in Russia, too!
    Here in North Carolina we refer to them as “Revenue Enhancement Stops”.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Perhaps we could set up 'safety checks' ("Papers Please?") on each corner...this would REALLY protect us all.

Those without the proper paperwork go directly to the 'camps'...for everyone's safety, of course!
    Sticks likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In my opinion there are far to many Americans who are willing to give up liberty in order to feel safer.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You forgot to add that their police officers are polite also...so, where is the difference

Administrator
    Sounds like a decent encounter; but boy do I hate the DUI/OVI checkpoints. I have no idea how the legality of these are upheld. But let's not let that ruin the thread.
    "Just blame Sixto"

When I was 19 I was 3 days from going to Basic Training. I was going in with an MOS that required a TS clearance and had to go to 7 different court houses in MA and NH to get letters stating I had paid fines for speeding tickets and other "offenses" so I could get a waiver. ANyway, Going to my girlfriends house I passed a DUI checkpoint on the other side of the road so doing what drivers do I flashed my high beams to warn the drivers heading toward it. Next thing I see are police lights behind me. I pull over and now I am scared to death of a ticket because I thought It would hurt me gettiing my MOS. The officer said he was the one I flashed my lights to and he could cite me for obstruction. He then asked where I was going and I also said I was going in the army. He gave me a verbal warning and said this"do you realize you could have alerted a drunk driver and down the road he could have killed someone if he was in an accident". I never thought about that. I am opposed to the checkpoints but I have not alerted other drivers since then. He was a good guy for a LEO

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good stop and outcome.

I have mixed feelings about DUI checkpoints. It's a fact they take drunk drivers off the road and inconvience those who have not been drinking. We all know how we feel about a drunk driver causing an accident and injuring or killing an inocent person. The alternatve to checkpoints? More patrol vehicles on the road? While the idea is nice, we all know departments don't have the resources for it. Patrol cars waiting outside bars and stopping people as they leave? Again it comes down to resources.

There is no reason to get upset with the LEO at the check point. It's not the LEO's manning the points that make the decision. They are following orders from above.
    DocPMD likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
    In my opinion there are far to many Americans who are willing to give up liberty in order to feel safer.
    +1 on that. Now we have DHS and the TSA. How ya likin the increased security now?
    jrclen likes this.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    +1 on your LEO's, lets hope they stay that way.

Links