Carrying while on prescription drugs??

This is a discussion on Carrying while on prescription drugs?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, The last day of 2011 started horribly for me! I woke up with a wisdom tooth making my life a living H%$#$! Luckily ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Carrying while on prescription drugs??

Hey all,
    The last day of 2011 started horribly for me! I woke up with a wisdom tooth making my life a living H%$#$! Luckily for me it's Saturday, and New Years Eve so no hope of getting into the dentist today (sarcasm). I tried to fight the pain but it was just too much. Was seriously considering removing tooth myself, but looking back, probably a horrible idea...

I ended up going to the ER to see if they could help me with the pain at least until Mon r Tues when the dentist office is open again. After waiting in waiting room for 2 hours they got me in and prescribed me an antibiotic (amoxicillin) as well as a painkiller (vicoprofen) for relief. Guess the pain pill is like Lortab but has ibuprofen instead, had never heard of it before today but is apparently better for tooth pain...

Anyway, my question is this, can I LEGALLY carry while taking these?? I realize it is legal for me to take them b/c they are prescribed to me but if, god forbid, I had to defend myself while on these pills any chance of this affecting me legally?

What would you do? Just leave the gun @ home on one of the craziest nights of the year?

Thanks in advance!!

VIP Member
    As long as it is legally prescribed dosage there would be no problem, the only problem is how does it affect you. If it causes a reaction where you feel unsafe to carry then do not much the same way as the warnings against operating machinery or driving.
    pistola, Tzadik, archer51 and 2 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by jace33 View Post
    Anyway, my question is this, can I LEGALLY carry while taking these??
    Get a legal opinion from your attorney. He'll be back in the office on Monday or Tuesday...

I realize it is legal for me to take them b/c they are prescribed to me but if, god forbid, I had to defend myself while on these pills any chance of this affecting me legally?
    That's one of those "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" questions. Are you fuzzy-headed while taking the pills? Would you feel safe operating, say, a table saw in your workshop while on the meds? If you're sober as a judge (OK, sober as a judge should be), than I'd say you don't have a problem. But if you feel in any way impaired (thought processes, motor skills & function), I think it would be more prudent to not carry. But that's just my opinion and worth exactly what you're paying for it.

What would you do? Just leave the gun @ home on one of the craziest nights of the year?
    I'd stay home. Too many irresponsible imbeciles out there in clubs, party places and on the road on the craziest night of the year. I don't care for the odds.
    Hopyard, Tzadik, archer51 and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Stay home, stay armed...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Get a legal opinion from your attorney. He'll be back in the office on Monday or Tuesday...

That's one of those "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" questions. Are you fuzzy-headed while taking the pills? Would you feel safe operating, say, a table saw in your workshop while on the meds? If you're sober as a judge (OK, sober as a judge should be), than I'd say you don't have a problem. But if you feel in any way impaired (thought processes, motor skills & function), I think it would be more prudent to not carry. But that's just my opinion and worth exactly what you're paying for it.

I'd stay home. Too many irresponsible imbeciles out there in clubs, party places and on the road on the craziest night of the year. I don't care for the odds.
    yes I will contact the attorney on tues to make sure it was ok!! LOL...

I just wanted to know what everyone here thought b/c there is a lot of experiences here and I would be a fool not to try and interact with everyone and learn as much as possible... this is the first time I have had a prescription since I obtained my CCW...

No, the pills do not impair me at all... I feel fine and am much better off than I was this morning with the tooth pain... IMO that is when I should not have carried, the pain would not allow me any SA as I was concentrating on the pain... (I did not carry in hospital)

My SO and I will be going to another couples house tonight, my fiance will probaby have a few beers and some champagne @ midnight... I do not drink so I will be driving...

I personally don't see how you could be anymore legally liable if the medication is used as directed.

However, the chances of a person finding themselves in a self defense scenario are probably around their peak on New Years Eve/Night. I won't attend in New Years celebration outside of small friend & family gatherings. Going to a club, or a public event is not something I want to get mixed up in.

Quote Originally Posted by jace33 View Post
    No, the pills do not impair me at all... I feel fine and am much better off than I was this morning with the tooth pain... IMO that is when I should not have carried, the pain would not allow me any SA as I was concentrating on the pain... (I did not carry in hospital)
    Thats all you need to know right there. Its a non-issue.

If you are well enough to drive or operate machinary.....then (in the eyes of the law) you are well enough to defend your safety.

VIP Member
    Ask your wife if you are doing well enough to drive. If she says yes, you should be OK. If she says no, take her word for it and don't carry or drive.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Your state laws may vary. In MN, for example:

A person may not carry a under the influence of a controlled substance, under the influence of any chemical compound or combination of chemical compounds that affects the nervous system, brain, or muscles of the person so as to impair the person's clearness of intellect or physical control, or when the person is under the influence of alcohol.

I don't carry if I'm in an emotional state...have to remember to disarm at noon on Sunday before the Vikings hit the field.
    blizzard likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Much handwringing over nothing IMHO...
    gunsnroses likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Ask your wife if you are doing well enough to drive. If she says yes, you should be OK. If she says no, take her word for it and don't carry or drive.
    Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Your state laws may vary. In MN, for example:

A person may not carry a under the influence of a controlled substance, under the influence of any chemical compound or combination of chemical compounds that affects the nervous system, brain, or muscles of the person so as to impair the person's clearness of intellect or physical control, or when the person is under the influence of alcohol.

I don't carry if I'm in an emotional state...have to remember to disarm at noon on Sunday before the Vikings hit the field.

I know exactly what you mean. For me its the SD Chargers or the Cincinnati Reds.

VIP Member
    You've heard of the "designated driver?" Maybe there's an opening for the "designated shooter." When asked on the stand if you've had anything to drink or any controlled substances, how do you want to answer. Although my wife's an expert witness at home, I don't know about court.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I dont think that will fly to well Gunthorp...nice try!

edit: but now that I think about it some more....I believe its not that far fetched?

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    As long as it is legally prescribed dosage there would be no problem, the only problem is how does it affect you. If it causes a reaction where you feel unsafe to carry then do not much the same way as the warnings against operating machinery or driving.
    This seems sound. If you are under the influence of the controlled substance, don't carry your gun or drive your car.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links