Police Etiquette

This is a discussion on Police Etiquette within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; AK, AR, LA, MI, NC, NE, OH, OK, SC, TX are the only 10 states that require notification. If not required why bring it up? ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Police Etiquette

AK, AR, LA, MI, NC, NE, OH, OK, SC, TX are the only 10 states that require notification.

If not required why bring it up? I can be respectful and courteous without the fact that I am armed coming into play.
    TBob and sgb like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    AK, AR, LA, MI, NC, NE, OH, OK, SC, TX are the only 10 states that require notification.

If not required why bring it up? I can be respectful and courteous without the fact that I am armed coming into play.
    BINGO!

When I worked patrol, if people treated me courteously they got it back.

Those that became arrogant got that back too!

Telling an officer more than he needs to know to do his job safely isn't needed to be "courteous".
    suntzu, TBob and sgb like this.
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Usually, there is time from the moment the lights start flashing until the officer exits his vehicle, for me to get my wallet out, My Driver's licence, My CWP, and perhaps even my proof of insurance and registration.
    Moving around like this before the officer approaches you is a great way to find yourself at gunpoint, or pulled out of the car so he can frisk your seating area. How do you know he even wants your license, etc.? Maybe he just wants to compliment your hat. I pull over, roll down my window a little, put my hands on the wheel, and wait to hear what's next.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Side note: a friend got pulled over, LEO was courteous and he informed he had a weapon although he did not have to. The officer had him get out of the cer, place the gun on the seat, the LEO took the SN down and called it in. No problems with it and he went on his merry way, he said never again. Took 20 minute or so.
    This is outrageous. Treating a licensed permit holder automatically like a criminal. Because, from things I read, this is how some police see us? As potential criminals? Not to mention a waste of taxpayer $$ when he could be out catching real criminals.

I would be reporting this behavior if it happened to me. And if it was dept policy, I'd be taking it higher up the food chain.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    As I retired from LE I can tell you only honest citizens with legal permit carrying firearms will inform you.
    And that right there is why I don't inform unless I have to

Senior Moderator
    In MA, LEOs typically know very little about gun laws, believe that most people can't legally carry and many will react very defensively if notified.
    Then they need to get trained like the rest of the country and get their heads out of their pants.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Then they need to get trained like the rest of the country and get their heads out of their pants.
    - MA's ridiculous knife limits (by town) certainly can't be any help either.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Sorry to say but that is never going to happen. All police training is tightly controlled by the Mass Chiefs Assn and they are staunch 110% anti-gun even for their own troops. Consequently the firearms training given to officers is a sick joke.

Case in point, it took >4 years for MA to recognize LEOSA and the manner in which they did it violates the Fed Law. They still haven't updated it to reflect the changes signed into law a year ago either . . . and when they do, they will assuredly disenfranchise a large majority of those that the changes added to eligibility.
    NRA Instructor

I'm not required to inform in Georgia, but after hearing first-hand some stories of irrational officers, I want to do as much as I can to be on their good side from the get go. The only time I've ever been pulled over while carrying I handed the officer my license and permit at the same time, he asked if I had a weapon on me, I said yes, he said fine. That was it and I didn't even get a ticket for rolling through the stop sign

Senior Moderator
    This is outrageous. Treating a licensed permit holder automatically like a criminal. Because, from things I read, this is how some police see us? As potential criminals? Not to mention a waste of taxpayer $$ when he could be out catching real criminals.

I would be reporting this behavior if it happened to me. And if it was dept policy, I'd be taking it higher up the food chain.
    Actually, its standard procedure for many depts. It's not that they are treating you like a criminal, they are just running a number to make sure it isnt stolen.

Just last night one of the guys on my dept. on the 3-11 PM shift got a "hot" gun off of some guy. And yes...as it turned out, he was a real criminal. On probation as a matter of fact. Guess where he is now?

Taking something up higher that is a matter of dept. policy is pretty much a waste of both your time and theirs.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Actually, its standard procedure for many depts. It's not that they are treating you like a criminal, they are just running a number to make sure it isnt stolen.

Just last night one of the guys on my dept. on the 3-11 PM shift got a "hot" gun off of some guy. And yes...as it turned out, he was a real criminal. On probation as a matter of fact. Guess where he is now.
    - What are the odds of a licensed gun owner owning or carrying a stolen firearm? Should the officer then check my iPod's serial number to make sure it wasn't stolen. What about the laptop that happens to be in my back seat? How much power should a traffic stop yield for searches?
    TBob and 9MMare like this.

Then they are treating you like a criminal until they prove you are not. That's exactly what that Dept policy is doing.
    TBob and 9MMare like this.

Just last night one of the guys on my dept. on the 3-11 PM shift got a "hot" gun off of some guy. And yes...as it turned out, he was a real criminal. On probation as a matter of fact. Guess where he is now?

Taking something up higher that is a matter of dept. policy is pretty much a waste of both your time and theirs.
    So in your example, they stopped a criminal, ran his gun, and nailed him on it? Fine.

Why would I...your basic CPW carrier.... have a stolen gun? In a traffic stop, IMO they have no business checking on ANY of my personal info that does not apply to that stop....unless they have probable cause to think otherwise. It appears that the possession of a gun is probable cause for assuming it's illegally gotten.

Standard procedure surrounding gun laws is often BS IMO, such as demanding that you inform an officer that you are carrying (you just showed us a good reason why not to if it's optional), county sheriffs making their own decisions regarding a person's qualifications for CCW, needing to have every single gun you plan to carry listed on you CPL, etc.

Standard procedure doesnt mean right.

I am not irritated with you Hot Guns, I am irritated with the many hoops that gun owners are forced to jump thru to exercise basic rights.
    TBob, SIGguy229 and suntzu like this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    As I retired from LE I can tell you only honest citizens with legal permit carrying firearms will inform you. The criminals are not required too. Also criminals can carry anywhere they want too. Does that make any sense?
    I'm honest, and I don't inform because it is not required in my state. My firearm is my business...I am not a threat to a LEO, neither is my firearm. As stated above, I'll take my ticket and be on my way. Whether I have "weapons" in the car is none of his concern. I transport my property in accordance with the law. Frankly, asking if there are "weapons" in the car is a fishing expedition.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I don't buy that one bit. They don't check any other SN's for anything. That is why if they ask to check my vehicle I say no. Am I being a jerk? I don't know. But what if the LEO see's what he thinks is suspicious? I ain't going down that road. Ya know we have the 4th A. We (this country) is going down a very slippery slope when it comes to what LEO's can and can not do. (I know the LEO's are doing what is allowed). Point is, they are not checking anything they do not have their hands on and can see with their eyes. It should not be standard procedure to check sn for anything without cause, and then they can get a warrant. And since you said it is standard procedure to do so for some depts, that all more reason not to tell the LEO. Instead of making the stop easier, it is now taking longer. I will still be courteous.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links