Police Etiquette

This is a discussion on Police Etiquette within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by hrufrdr1 I would disclose simply to avoid any confusion--after all, with a permit I have nothing to hide. Just don't say, "I ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Police Etiquette

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hrufrdr1 View Post
    I would disclose simply to avoid any confusion--after all, with a permit I have nothing to hide.
    Just don't say, "I have a gun." That may not start things off too well.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I don't see it as a struggle. Pretty cut and dry. If you want to tell the LEO fine, personal choice. If you do not chose to inform the LEO (my choice), again personal choice. I fail to see how it is impolite or not courteous if I am being polite and courteous in manner and tone with the officer.

What I fail to see is how folks that say it is courteous to notify a LEO when it is not required choose to not notify everybody else they meet to include relatives thatheyey know are wary of firearms and entering locations with No-Gun signs.
    Excellent points.

I said it is a choice. And I do dispute that they have a need to know in states that do not require notification. If they had a need to know it would be law. They "want" to know. Just like when they pull you over, they are doing a visible search of your vehicle.
    Agreed. I have worked as a PT PO and I'm certain that a few people I pulled over for MV infractions were carrying. It never came up and I didn't ask. Since our state doesn't require disclosure, given the anti-gun sentiment in this state, it is best for people to NOT say anything unless asked.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Or worse, it could give the LEO a false sense of security. Causing him to let his guard down.

Michael
    Nothing should put an officer off-guard. People are totally unpredictable and as much as I'll agree that permit holders (as a class of citizens) are more respectful than other folks, it is certainly no guarantee. It's when an officer lets his guard down that he's at risk of getting hurt/killed!

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Many have discussed the "courtesy" aspect of informing a LEO that you are a CCW person and disclosing that information helped avoid a ticket. Given my set of circumstances, this guy was courteous but going to write me up no matter what I disclosed. My choice was to abide by the law and not inform him if it was not required. I have a friend in Jacksonville, FL and I talked with him several days later about this and he said that it wasn't the law abiding carry people he worried about, it was the illegal ones. He also said that his LEO training helped determine who is and is not legal.

I believe that I would only inform if the law required to do so.
    I agree with you. If the officer isn't likely to see the gun, there is no reason to disclose unless state law requires it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatale42 View Post
    What people just don't seem to understand is that not everywhere is THEIR state. I'm from MA, where it's NOT a must notify state. If you were pulled over and "Volunteered" that info....or even gave your LTC with your drivers license there's a very good chance your days goes down hill fast from that point on, where keeping your mouth shut gets you out of there. If your not in a must notify state, and your not a criminal, what is it you think your accomplishing by telling? There's detail cops at banks all the time, I don't walk by them and say "I'm not going to rob the place".
    Me too and having been stopped while armed once in Boston (speeding), the officer was as nasty as humanly possible. Had I disclosed, I would have been eating asphalt in a "felony stop" on the Southeast Expressway for certain. I am a "subject matter expert" on MA gun laws and since I am in LE as well, I interact with them in a professional manner enough to know that the ignorance of gun laws in MA amongst LEOs is huge. Since Boston will not issue a LTC that actually allows it's subjects to "carry" a firearm, there are many officers who dosomeoneink it is legal for somoene (non LE) to be carrying. In the instance I relate here, I did not ID myself as LE either, I just responded with "yes, sir" and "no, sir" to everything he barked at me. My LE counterpart "subject matter expert" teaches LEOs on MA gun law and publishes a 450 page book strictly on the gun laws in MA!!
    NRA Instructor

A friend got pulled over, LEO was courteous and he informed he had a weapon although he did not have to. The officer had him get out of the cer, place the gun on the seat, the LEO took the SN down and called it in. No problems with it and he went on his merry way, he said never again. Took 20 minute or so.
    This sounds like a perfect time to exercise your Fourth Amendment right to not voluntarily submit to a search.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

I usually give them my permit with my license. That has gotten me out of more than one ticket.

I haven't been pulled over since I started carrying, but if I ever am, I will probably just hand over my permit with my DL, even though I'm not required to in FL. The more comfortable we can make LEOs (and everyone else) with us carrying, the better for all.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

Quote Originally Posted by Moops View Post
    This sounds like a perfect time to exercise your Fourth Amendment right to not voluntarily submit to a search.
    Exactly. Absolutely no reason to be "calling in" serial numbers.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Links