Police Etiquette

This is a discussion on Police Etiquette within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I searched on the forum, but couldn't find anything. Is it appropriate or legally required to disclose to a police officer you are lawfully carrying ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Police Etiquette

Police Etiquette

I searched on the forum, but couldn't find anything.

Is it appropriate or legally required to disclose to a police officer you are lawfully carrying a firearm if pulled over/stopped for something completely unrelated?

Thanks for any info/thoughts.

2. Remove Ads

Concealed Carry, Concealed Carry Reciprocity Maps, Concealed Weapons Permit Info

Nice site that provides a multiude of answers for your question.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Might be good to do so, in case you're in a state that requires it...couldn't find it in Emily Post's Etiquette.

Handgunlaw.us has "must inform yes/no" for the states. Even if you're in a "don't have to inform" state, what would you want to know if you were a cop?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

In Oklahoma you only have to notify if you have a Concealed Carry Permit.

Michael

I think it is different in each state. In Ohio it is required by law to do so.

This is taken from Ohio Concealed carry website. "You are required by law to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who stops you (whether on foot or in a vehicle) that you are carrying a firearm and that you have a CHL. Keep your hands in plain sight. If in a vehicle, do not exit the vehicle unless instructed to do so by the officer."

As a LEO I'm always glad to have a citizen disclose when they are carying during a stop for anything. It will be disclosed anyway when the Licence ck. is done as in VA it's listed in DMV database.
    It never hurts to let a police officer know your one of the good guys and legal.
    We find enough about the other half who are not legal and still carry anyway, unfortunately sometimes the hardway.

Quote Originally Posted by SGTROCK0 View Post
    As a LEO I'm always glad to have a citizen disclose when they are carying during a stop for anything. It will be disclosed anyway when the Licence ck. is done as in VA it's listed in DMV database.
    It never hurts to let a police officer know your one of the good guys and legal.
    We find enough about the other half who are not legal and still carry anyway, unfortunately sometimes the hardway.
    have u ever had a bad situation with a legal concealed handgun license holder ? like have to draw ur gun on him or her ?
    " Innovations are what i leave behind for history "

I am not required to inform in my state. I will anyway.

I will not say, "I have a gun." I will not say "gun" at all.

Usually, there is time from the moment the lights start flashing until the officer exits his vehicle, for me to get my wallet out, My Driver's licence, My CWP, and perhaps even my proof of insurance and registration.

If there is not enough time for me to do those things prior to him exiting his vehicle... I will turn on my dome light or other interior lights. put my hands on the wheel at 10 and 2 after my window is down.

As soon as he asks me for DL Registration etc. I will inform him I have a CWP, and where the weapon is, and ask how he would like me to proceed.

Since my weapon is at 3:00, I do not want to pass it on the way to getting my wallet out, without him being aware of what I am doing.

I am not required to do these things... The police are supposed to be here to serve and to protect, most of the time they do an exemplary job of doing just that... I don't want to add stress to his job, or make a bad night (or day) worse.

If he's some sort of jackwagon, I'll comply with his requests anyway, since he is acting under the color of law. Afterwards, if he was offensive in his actions, I will take it up with his supervisor.

Now is not the time to get into a constitutional argument, now is the time to get the citation, and be on my way. If the citation is bogus, that will be taken care of on my day in court.

Most of the time, the most you'll get is a warning anyway. Based on those who have posted here before regarding such encounters.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

VIP Member
    It will vary from state to state. Handgunlaw.us will tell you if it is required in each state. Click on the state in question and look at the top of the page, right hand side. As for your state, PA does not require you to inform.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Law or NOT, it's just plain common curtesy!
    jrclen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    Law or NOT, it's just plain common curtesy!
    Are you courteous to everyone you meet or just LEO's?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    In Oklahoma you only have to notify if you have a Concealed Carry Permit.

Michael
    To edit my own post.
    Along with what I posted above there is this.
    If you do not have a carry permit in my State you are not required to notify if carrying a firearm legally. This probably covers most folks in Oklahoma who might have a firearm in their vehicle.

If you are driving down the street with a stolen firearm that you just used to murder your family and neighbors with you are not required to notify. Unless of course you have a CCL in which case you must notify.

Michael

I'm not required to in TN. I don't tell them I'm LE and I don't tell them I'm carrying. And I don't flash around my HCP either. If they request..I give them my license and registration. That's it. Anything else they want to know..they had better have good reason or a warrant.

The easiest way to look at it is as far as I can tell there are NO states that have a law AGAINST notifying a LEO of your carry but several states that have a law saying you MUST notify.

There's an easy answer that allows you to meet all the requirements and not break any laws.
    wmhawth likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Its has nothing to do with etiquette and every thing to do with the law.

Its a simple thing. If you are required to inform, then inform.

If not, dont worry about it. You wont go wrong by informing but if you arent required to and dont want to, then dont worry about it.

When I teach a class, I tell them that they are bound by the laws of the state that they are in at that moment. When in doubt, inform. If its required, you're good to go. If not, it cant hurt.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links