Shooting at Olive Garden in SC

This is a discussion on Shooting at Olive Garden in SC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A man was killed in the parking lot of an Olive Garden here in SC on the 29th. This happens to be an Olive Garden ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Shooting at Olive Garden in SC

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar

Shooting at Olive Garden in SC

A man was killed in the parking lot of an Olive Garden here in SC on the 29th. This happens to be an Olive Garden that my family and I eat ate pretty regular. We went there last night (the next day) and was asking some folks about it. From what I was told the guy had eaten inside and was going to his car when he was shot. They believe he knew the person that shot him. I was also told that the guy that was killed had a police record and it's believed that it was a revenge meeting. Just another case of why I should be able to carry in a place that serves alcohol in SC. But the sad fact is when I go there, I have to disarm because of the SC laws. Someone waiting in line at Olive Garden made a statement, "this is why we don't need people running around with permits carrying guns". I quickly reminded him that the person that got shot could not have had a permit with a police record and this is proof that the BG could care less what the law says. I told this guy that the only person these laws are affecting are the law abiding person that is not going to cause any problems. He then looked at me and asked..."I take it that you are one of those that carry a gun" which I responded..."it's against the law in here and only the BG have them in here"....turned around and walked away.
    BG or not...prayers for the family of the man that was killed.
    SR40c and medmunds21 like this.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Maybe he should have left a bigger tip.....waiters can get quite testy when stiffed!
    357and40 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I realize it's old news, but whenever I hear of an incident such as this I am reminded of the Luby's massacre in Killeen, Texas in 1991, possibly because I was in the area at the time.
    As in all of these situations, just one armed citizen could have saved many lives. 23 people were killed and at least on patron had a gun left outside the restaurant in order to obey the law. I am quoting the following as these are not my words.

Quote:[The law had been campaigned for by Dr. Suzanna Hupp, who was present at the massacre where both of her parents were shot and killed. She later expressed regret for obeying the law by leaving her firearm in her car rather than keeping it on her person due to the fact that it could have cost her chiropractic license]

This played a major change a major part in the states carry laws a few years later, albeit too late for these unfortunate citizens.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...gXM0TR_b4jS2HQ

Quote Originally Posted by MustangGT View Post
    I realize it's old news, but whenever I hear of an incident such as this I am reminded of the Luby's massacre in Killeen, Texas in 1991, possibly because I was in the area at the time.
    As in all of these situations, just one armed citizen could have saved many lives. 23 people were killed and at least on patron had a gun left outside the restaurant in order to obey the law. I am quoting the following as these are not my words.

Quote:[The law had been campaigned for by Dr. Suzanna Hupp, who was present at the massacre where both of her parents were shot and killed. She later expressed regret for obeying the law by leaving her firearm in her car rather than keeping it on her person due to the fact that it could have cost her chiropractic license]

This played a major change a major part in the states carry laws a few years later, albeit too late for these unfortunate citizens.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...gXM0TR_b4jS2HQ
    I remember that story MustangGT....I just hope we (SC) don't wait for more of that type of thing to happen here before the law is changed here.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

There are other places to eat.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

This stinks. We're headed to Myrtle Beach in April and I hate that I'm going to have to disarm for every restaurant that serves alcohol. SC needs to get with the program.
    scgunlover1 and phreddy like this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

NC is the same way, but we're working on it.

I would like to be able to even have a gun in my car when I drive to work, but the parking lot is posted No Weapons Including Firearms With Concealed Carry Permit.

We made a big stride in NC this year with HB 650 and Castle Doctrine. Hope we keep up the momentum this year thanks to organizations like NCGR!

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    I quickly reminded him that the person that got shot could not have had a permit with a police record and this is proof that the BG could care less what the law says. I told this guy that the only person these laws are affecting are the law abiding person that is not going to cause any problems. He then looked at me and asked..."I take it that you are one of those that carry a gun" which I responded..."it's against the law in here and only the BG have them in here"....turned around and walked away.
    BG or not...prayers for the family of the man that was killed.
    Good response..however, convincing people opposed to carry and 'antis' in general is pretty much a lost cause. Their minds are made up, they are operating on an emotional level and not interested in logic. I would have said something similar as well...even though I know it's hopeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    There are other places to eat.
    Hiram you are right but most of the "better sit down places" to eat around here serve alcohol.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Yeah, SC needs to improve it's gun laws. I'm from SC and still have a lot of family and friends there but, because SC won't reciprocate carry licenses with Georgia, won't issue non-resident permits if you don't own land, and won't recognize non-resident permits from other states, I'm prohibited from carrying when I visit SC. Meanwhile SC residents can carry in Georgia on a Florida non-resident permit.

It's a definite bone of contention for me.

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    Hiram you are right but most of the "better sit down places" to eat around here serve alcohol.
    You'd be hard-pressed to find a restaurant in Hilton Head or Charleston (that's not a fast food joint) that doesn't serve alcohol.

I used to love going to Olive Garden, but it's one reason I don't go there anymore.... because they put gunbuster signs up and because I'm not disarming. I give others my business.

A good example of the logic the ignorant public uses as well. I might have asked him if someone came up with a gun to rob him in the parking lot, how he would protect himself ?
    Last edited by Eagleks; January 1st, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

You can't ccw in a restaurant ? Or Olive garden? In Wa you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol but not in the Bar section. = Family section

In NC and SC you can't carry in any restaurant that serves alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I used to love going to Olive Garden, but it's one reason I don't go there anymore.... because they put gunbuster signs up and because I'm not disarming. I give others my business.
    I'm not disputing your post but I've always carried in Olive Garden in other states (when allows). Our Olive Garden does not have anti-gun signs.....it's just the state law. I've never seen a anti-gun post at Olive Garden throughout the country and I travel a lot.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links