Best book for CCW - Page 2

Best book for CCW

This is a discussion on Best book for CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by d_c_mar Then maybe take Mas Ayoob's MAG-40 class. He covers a lot of legal stuff that you'll hopefully never need, but then ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Best book for CCW

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by d_c_mar View Post
    Then maybe take Mas Ayoob's MAG-40 class. He covers a lot of legal stuff that you'll hopefully never need, but then that's why you should be carrying: Hoping you never need it, but prepared for the inevitable reprocusions.
    Mas Ayoob has quite a few videos on line worth looking at as well (just google them) and try going to Handgunlaw.us scroll down to the bottom of the page there are 8 books suggested there worth reading.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by chefjon View Post
    If you're in Florida (like me!), Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership 7th Ed. (Authoritative Guide That Explains Florida & Federal Laws on Firearms, Weapons and Self-Defense Issues) is THE book to read 1st (imo).

Mr. Gutmacher has "translated" FL790 into layman's terms and includes scenarios and their legalities. It's better than any "classroom ccw-class" you could take. You'd be surprised how much "gray area" there is in the law.

There are some other great books that others have mentioned, just remember that there is no substitute for professional training from a certified instructor.

Have fun & stay safe!
    Agreed. If you live in FL this book is the bible for CWP holders. You are crazy for not reading twice. Might just keep you out of jail! Read it.

Everything mentioned in this thread so far is great, but I would (and did) start with these:

In the Gravest Extreme (Ayoob)
    The Concealed Handgun Manual (Bird)

...And don't ever stop reading. You will never know half of what these guys know, but keeping this stuff fresh in your mind is critical to maintaining the right mindset.
    Last edited by livewire; January 3rd, 2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Added links
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Ultimately, you need to take some training courses. Books and DVDs are fine for learning stuff, but you need to practice the requisite skills.

I have personally trained with all of the below and give them all an 'A'.

Gabe Suarez
    Massad Ayoob
    John Farnam
    Tom Givens

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    The Bible

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    The Bible
    Perfect place to go for relevant information on the law, force on force training, and selecting proper legal counsel
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I have this book in paperback. It's a good primer and good starting point on carry techniquies. He even goes into some detail with photo's of proper drawing from various carry positions.
    The book is probably a little dated in that there are always new holster designs coming out, but the carry positions and techniquies remain constant. If you would be williing to pay postage I would forward the book to you provided you return it to me when your done with it.

Also I think that this article is very well written with lots of good advice:

http://media.concealedcarryforum.com/carryguide.pdf
    Thanks for the offer, I just picked up this book on Amazon for my Kindle.

All great suggestions & should keep me busy for a while. While I agree that these books aren't the be all and end all regarding CCW, I have picked up a couple of key points from each book that I have stashed away in my head.

For example, I learned to keep my backup pocket gun in my left pocket. Should my right arm become disabled and I can't reach for my primary firearm, I can draw my backup using my left arm. Makes a lot of sense and something I didn't think of.

Update on my CCW, I called the office for an update today and everything checked out fine and they are issuing my license today. I should be making my first Wally World walk in a few days!

I own all the books mentioned so far. Check out the new Gander mountain CCW manual -superb.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrulesU View Post
    Sorry (not literally), I just don't agree with any carry book being REQUIRED reading. I don't need to read someone else's quips and quotes and "cute little sayings". What is right for you may not be for someone else and visa versa.

We were all new to carrying at one time. I've never read a book on carrying or totally bought into any one principle.

I bought my first hand fun and carried legally on my property for a while to get a feel for it. Spent tons of time at the range with hands on learning. I did a ton of internet research of caliber of guns, make/model, ammo, belts, holsters...and so on. Felt prepared and applied for my HCP, got it and ventured out. Most, if not all, can be accomplished by applying common sense. I suggest doing uour own research and not reading books geared towards the belief that one man's written opinion is the "bible" or law of carry.

If anything NEEDS to be read, it's the carry laws of your state and any state you may or may not travel to. Be aware of posted areas and where you can and cannot carry.
    ok so you feel much more comfortable reading info on the internet than a man who has spent his life dealing with SD and LE issues!??

WOW,
    I think I'll stick with Mas Ayoob, "In the Gravest Extreme", it SHOULD be required reading for all CCWers, IMO... Maybe we are not all as bright as NY, but I'll take my chances to learn from someone with much more experience in the issue than me... It is not just, "common sense cures all"...

I usally read magazines. But the book I read cover to cover literally. Was the concealed handgun manual. Lots of good info and stories.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Here is another interesting one. It is also straight and up to the point w/ no complicated jargon.

"Modern Day Gunslinger" -Don Mann

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglas Adams

Read some books mentioned, watched videos.........really didn't teach me much anything I didn't already know (mostly instinctive). BUT they did reinforce some things.

I guess being a victim of a violent attack at a younger age also set the stage for me to "know" things.
    Taking classes...now that's where I learned something.

but hey....anything helps. Being in a fight for your life and living? That's one "class" I really don't recommend...

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    They … whom ever they are say; that nothing in life teaches one better then experience itself, but who wants to experience having to pull a deadly weapon in defense of your life and that of your loved one’s, in defiance of an evil doer? And then have to pull the trigger. One mistake, in a situation like that, can be a fatal one that you, and or, your survivors will remember and regret for ever more.

There are some good books and videos that have been posted in this thread and you can checkout YouTube too.

But reading and watching a video can only give you a recommended starting point of things and techniques you can do, and practice to use, should that time ever come. If and when it does, are you personally going to be able to pull out a gun and actually shoot someone? Dead?? If not, don’t pull it out unless you can, because that will be a bigger mistake then just handing over your wallet.

Classes offered by "Qualified Professionals" are good because you are doing things under the watchful eye of an instructor, who can help correct any mistakes you may be making and can maybe help you better understand what it’s like to handle a firearm correctly, while your under pressure, and hopefully, how to do it with more confidence and better proficiency.

Now, with all of this newly found knowledge you need to; practice, practice, practice, and then, practice some more. But then even with all the training LEO’s go through it isn’t a guarantee that you will survive any type of an attack just because you have a gun. There is a time to react and a time to submit, and you better have the knowledge to know the difference, so hopefully you will survive through it all, and most of all; with all of your vital-bodily fluids still intact too.

But then also, nothing takes the place of reading the Statute Firearms and Weapons Laws of your home State, or anywhere else you may be traveling too, and carrying a firearm or concealed weapon in. State Law’s differ so much from State to State. One may not even require you to have a license or permit to open-carry or conceal-carry a firearm, as long as you are "legally" able to own a firearm. And yet one might not even allow there own residence to purchase ammo without a licensed-permit let alone own a firearm to shoot it with. Some have very restrictive laws on carrying a simple knife, and yet some, as long as you have a permit you can carry any type, style, or kind of knife you want. If you have a CCW Permit for your home State, some will honor it and some will not. State Laws can change and differ from time to time because of their Legislators changing them too.

Check out Handgunlaw.us for State by State laws.

Some have posted that their home State of Florida has a comprehensive gun-owner’s friendly user’s book explaining their firearm laws, in "Plain English", for anyone to understand. To bad every State doesn’t have one of those because laws have such a gray area and are/can be interposed differently in the eyes of their beholder, LEO, Judges, courts, and how ever the jury is swayed to intrepid any given circumstance. The same case can be interpreted five different ways by three different juries. And laws can be enforced differently but one Officer on a simple traffic stop, and another might impose them differently. It all depends on how they personally might intrepid them. A simple misunderstanding can result into an avoidable-scenario, and yet made into a difficult-situation.

So since legally, you may not be able to do what you have read, watched, learned, and practiced to do. Knowing how to do what ever it is you are going to do is one thing, but, knowing what you can legally do is just as important, if not more intelligent then learning to do it in the first place.

Again, like they … whom ever they are, say; ignorance of the law is no excuse. So you may want too know what you can do, legally, before you start to try to do anything.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links