Best book for CCW

This is a discussion on Best book for CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Excellent post... maybe that should be in one of the CCW books we're talking about. Originally Posted by zamboni Some have posted that their home ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Best book for CCW

Excellent post... maybe that should be in one of the CCW books we're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    Some have posted that their home State of Florida has a comprehensive gun-owner’s friendly user’s book explaining their firearm laws, in "Plain English", for anyone to understand. To bad every State doesn’t have one of those because laws have such a gray area and are/can be interposed differently in the eyes of their beholder, LEO, Judges, courts, and how ever the jury is swayed to intrepid any given circumstance. The same case can be interpreted five different ways by three different juries. And laws can be enforced differently but one Officer on a simple traffic stop, and another might impose them differently. It all depends on how they personally might intrepid them. A simple misunderstanding can result into an avoidable-scenario, and yet made into a difficult-situation.
    We have a book here (WA) that comes with your permit. It doesn't have interpretations, just the actual legal code... but our legal code is written really well, and leaves little to legal interpretation. Most of the case law around it has been reaffirming of the obvious basic interpretation of the law as written.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

2. Remove Ads

Every state should have a handbook with interpretations of the CCW laws. I would pay a few more bucks to get one with my CCW. I did pick up a copy of the Florida gun-owners book, seems like it's well worth the money. After safety, what is more important then knowing your state's law regarding CCW and states you travel to?

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    Every state should have a handbook with interpretations of the CCW laws. I would pay a few more bucks to get one with my CCW. I did pick up a copy of the Florida gun-owners book, seems like it's well worth the money. After safety, what is more important then knowing your state's law regarding CCW and states you travel to?
    I agree. It shouldn't cost much, ours comes free with the permit (printed by the Department of Licensing and the Department of Wildlife), and our permit is one of the cheapest in the country at $56.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

I like The Ayoob Files myself because it gives many examples of the reality of gunfights....how stress affects even the best shots, how multiple shots with high caliber ammunition still dont 'stop' assailants, how things tend to go much differently than planned or imagined, etc.

There are other sources of that kind of thing too, and videos.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    There is a Mas Ayoob class April 27-30th. You can go to his website to see where

If what you want are stories, the aftermath, and critique then Chir Byrd has your huckleberry. Concealed Carry Manual and Thank God I Had a Gun have 14 stories each, successful and unsuccessful examples of self defense.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

There are stories about all the different calibers studied in the Marshall/Sanow books. People get killed with .22s, people survive .357 mag JHP, and lots in between. Sometimes people shoot their armed attackers, but get killed before the attcker stops or dies. It makes you realize there are no guarantees.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Some real goods ones already mentioned...here are a couple more...

Defensive shooting for real life encounters...Ralph Morz

and one that touches on not only the gun, but knife,awareness training, color codes,

ooda Loop,...etc,etc..,

Tactical Defense Training for Real Life Encounters. Pratical self preservation for law enforcement... Ralph Mroz

If you live in Florida I absolutely agree with Chefjon! Run, don't walk to your closest gun shop and buy this excellent book. Many law enforcement agencies use this book for their reference. It is a MUST have. Plus you can go to his website and print out changes and updates until the next edition. It's a shame all states don't have someone doing the same thing for their state.

I nominate this thread for sticky status. Is there a formal way to make such a nomination?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links