Best book for CCW

This is a discussion on Best book for CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to CCW and I'm interested in reading more about CCW scenarios. I am reading Lessons from Armed America now. Besides The Gun ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Best book for CCW

Best book for CCW

I am new to CCW and I'm interested in reading more about CCW scenarios. I am reading Lessons from Armed America now. Besides The Gun Digest Book, any other books worth reading?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    In The Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob is required reading.
    Herknav, Fitch, Diddle and 3 others like this.

Principles of Personal Defense by the late Lt Col Jeff Cooper after you read the suggestion above.
    Fitch, Hoganbeg and Diddle like this.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Principles of Personal Defense by the late Lt Col Jeff Cooper after you read the suggestion above.
    Absolutely! Typical of Jeff Cooper, it is short and to the point-and dead on target!

Sorry (not literally), I just don't agree with any carry book being REQUIRED reading. I don't need to read someone else's quips and quotes and "cute little sayings". What is right for you may not be for someone else and visa versa.

We were all new to carrying at one time. I've never read a book on carrying or totally bought into any one principle.

I bought my first hand fun and carried legally on my property for a while to get a feel for it. Spent tons of time at the range with hands on learning. I did a ton of internet research of caliber of guns, make/model, ammo, belts, holsters...and so on. Felt prepared and applied for my HCP, got it and ventured out. Most, if not all, can be accomplished by applying common sense. I suggest doing uour own research and not reading books geared towards the belief that one man's written opinion is the "bible" or law of carry.

If anything NEEDS to be read, it's the carry laws of your state and any state you may or may not travel to. Be aware of posted areas and where you can and cannot carry.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    After you dismiss the nonsense that there are no books you need to read, allow me to suggest:

Books
    "In the Gravest Extreme" - previously mentioned
    "The Farnam Method of Defensive Handgunning" - John Farnam
    "Fighting Smarter" - Tom Givens

DVDs
    Mind Set - Gabe Suarez
    Diddle, sliponby and oakchas like this.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    After you dismiss the nonsense that there are no books you need to read, allow me to suggest:

Books
    "In the Gravest Extreme" - previously mentioned
    "The Farnam Method of Defensive Handgunning" - John Farnam
    "Fighting Smarter" - Tom Givens

DVDs
    Mind Set - Gabe Suarez
    These then join The Armed Citizens Defense Network run by Marty Hayes and Mas Ayoob and get their DVD's.
    bigdog44 likes this.

In addition to all of the above (all of which I have personally in my library and all of which I very highly recommend)... The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry by Massad Ayoob. Amazon.com: Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry eBook: Massad Ayoob: Kindle Store
    Fitch likes this.

Then maybe take Mas Ayoob's MAG-40 class. He covers a lot of legal stuff that you'll hopefully never need, but then that's why you should be carrying: Hoping you never need it, but prepared for the inevitable reprocusions.

I just went to look at my library to see what I had, and it's full of Ayoob books. In addition to the above, don't miss Stressfire, the new Combat Shooting with M. A. and the Ayoob Files book. The Truth About Self Protection is good, but dated and some things are no longer valid (for example, he mentions OC spray as dog repellent, the book was written before it came into widespread use, same with modern JHP ammo and Tasers). The preparation and mindset chapters are great.

I'd also recommend the Concealed Handgun book by Chris Byrd, as well as Thank God I Had A Gun. Similar to the Ayoob Files, it shows lessons learned in actual shootings. Another good book for those kinds of accounts is the Marshall amd Sanow series Handgun Stopping Power / Street Stoppers. Don't get too much into the math and numbers chapters. It's good info but not necessarily words to live by. There is good info in it though.

I also have Paxton Quigley's books and the Cornered Cat one is on order. Just because it's written for females doesn't mean the info only applies to them. They are great books, and you can share them with your wife/girlfriend/mom/daughter too.

Pick up an armorers manual for your CCW gun or HD long gun too.

Try a book on a related subject too, maybe a 1st Aid book, a martial art of some kind.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    These then join The Armed Citizens Defense Network run by Marty Hayes and Mas Ayoob and get their DVD's.
    And after you join the Armed Citizens Defense Network, you will get a monthly e-journal that is stuffed with great information. I just got my latest edition this morning.
    Fitch likes this.

Regardless of what anyone says about this one...Even if you don't like to read... there is one that you must read. And you've seen it before, here...

In The Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob

It's not full of quips and quotes, it's full of meat. Read it twice or more... But most importantly, learn from it. There's a small section on ammo and weapons and holsters that is pretty out of date... The meat is in the mindset. A small, thin book, out of print now, so get a copy while you can.

I might suggest another, not really part of the "concealed carry" camp.

The Gift Of Fear by Gavin DeBecker. It's about situational awareness, and explains how intuition has saved a lot of folks... Worth the read.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

the best book to read is your state laws if and when you need to defend yourself. all the other are good to but to know and understand the law is the best book

Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    I am new to CCW and I'm interested in reading more about CCW scenarios. I am reading Lessons from Armed America now. Besides The Gun Digest Book, any other books worth reading?
    If you're in Florida (like me!), Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership 7th Ed. (Authoritative Guide That Explains Florida & Federal Laws on Firearms, Weapons and Self-Defense Issues) is THE book to read 1st (imo).

Mr. Gutmacher has "translated" FL790 into layman's terms and includes scenarios and their legalities. It's better than any "classroom ccw-class" you could take. You'd be surprised how much "gray area" there is in the law.

There are some other great books that others have mentioned, just remember that there is no substitute for professional training from a certified instructor.

Have fun & stay safe!
    I think I should be able to claim my guns as dependents on my taxes. I have to clothe them, feed them, clean them when they get dirty, keep them safe from bad people...

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    In addition to all of the above (all of which I have personally in my library and all of which I very highly recommend)... The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry by Massad Ayoob. Amazon.com: Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry eBook: Massad Ayoob: Kindle Store
    I have this book in paperback. It's a good primer and good starting point on carry techniquies. He even goes into some detail with photo's of proper drawing from various carry positions.
    The book is probably a little dated in that there are always new holster designs coming out, but the carry positions and techniquies remain constant. If you would be williing to pay postage I would forward the book to you provided you return it to me when your done with it.

Also I think that this article is very well written with lots of good advice:

http://media.concealedcarryforum.com/carryguide.pdf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links