Instructor-What should I do?

This is a discussion on Instructor-What should I do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having been a gun owner for many many years and having a Virginia Resident Permit when I lived there and then a Virginia Non-Resident permit, ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: Instructor-What should I do?

Instructor-What should I do?

Having been a gun owner for many many years and having a Virginia Resident Permit when I lived there and then a Virginia Non-Resident permit, I took my NC
    concealed class back in June and received my NC permit shortly thereafter. I immediately began teaching my wife to use a handgun. She had been brought up
    around and using rifles. She caught on very quickly to all aspects, safety, laws and range. She scheduled her class the first part of December, but the instructor
    cancelled the class until later in the month to get class materials prepared as they related to the new laws we have here. It was the same instructor that I had
    gone to.

When she got home, I was asking how she did, and she proudly informed me that she had qualified on the range without any difficulty with all shots in the 9 ring,
    and had only missed 3 questions on the tests but in fact thought she should have gotten 100% correct. When she showed me the questions she missed,
    I agreed with her and even went to the North Carolina Code for confirmation. All three questions that the instructor said she missed were in fact correctly answered by my wife. They were in fact answers that changed as a result of NC Code changes.

The instructor also didn't have any Certificates with her, something about her dog. :-) . Took a week and three calls to finally go pick up the Certificate.

Wife has applied for her permit and should have it in hand shortly, but it sort of makes me wonder if I should followup any further or let it go.

2. Remove Ads

Wife's getting the permit, right?

Can you talk to the instructor civilly? His grading sheet (cheat sheet, whatever you want to call it) probably needs updating. Might just casually mention it to him and let it go... If you can't speak kindly, let it go...

We're all human, and laws are changing all the time... it's easy to get lax, especially with large class sizes nowadays, and more frequent classes (least around here). And a grading sheet speeds up the grading process quite a bit... that's probably all it was... an honest mistake.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Nobody cares about the test...she passed. The test should not be your argument. Your *discussion points* should be on the content of the law...the instructor is not infallible, but with changes in the law you want to understand what is being taught. Give the instructor a call or arrange too meet...I wouldn't do this over e-mail, as intentions may not be understood.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I have been a NC concealed pistol instructor for 7 years, we were informed this year that there were three different seminars at three different places and times across the state that we could attend. Because of HB650 these changes were made.
    If a certified instructor did not want to attend one of these seminars if was no big deal and new books would be sent out to those who did not attend.
    Ask your wife if she watched a video at her class, the reason i ask is the video has been removed permanatly! and if she did then this instructor will be in trouble.
    Ask your wife is she got a copy of the red book from the class, look at the red book, the new one will say updated and after dec 1t 2011 only.
    If you find one of these things you can talk to he instructor immedialty and tell him man to man
    If you find both of these things, contact the criminal justice department and report the instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Wife's getting the permit, right?

Can you talk to the instructor civilly? His grading sheet (cheat sheet, whatever you want to call it) probably needs updating. Might just casually mention it to him and let it go... If you can't speak kindly, let it go...

We're all human, and laws are changing all the time... it's easy to get lax, especially with large class sizes nowadays, and more frequent classes (least around here). And a grading sheet speeds up the grading process quite a bit... that's probably all it was... an honest mistake.
    Per law, one instructor per 7 students

Quote Originally Posted by gunther71 View Post
    Per law, one instructor per 7 students
    What's the statute number that limits the number of students per instructor.

If It's all legally done no need to ruffle feathers, you never know what was going on in her life to cause the delay.
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeshot View Post
    She scheduled her class the first part of December, but the instructor cancelled the class until later in the month to get class materials prepared as they related to the new laws we have here. It was the same instructor that I had gone to.

When she got home, I was asking how she did, and she proudly informed me that she had qualified on the range without any difficulty with all shots in the 9 ring,and had only missed 3 questions on the tests but in fact thought she should have gotten 100% correct. When she showed me the questions she missed, I agreed with her and even went to the North Carolina Code for confirmation. All three questions that the instructor said she missed were in fact correctly answered by my wife. They were in fact answers that changed as a result of NC Code changes.
    It sounds like while the instructor updated the class materials, they forgot to update their test answer sheet. It happens, I did that when I ran a training section in the military.

I would contact the instructor and point out the discrepancies, so they can fix the problem.
    Naufragia likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunther71 View Post
    I have been a NC concealed pistol instructor for 7 years, we were informed this year that there were three different seminars at three different places and times across the state that we could attend. Because of HB650 these changes were made.
    If a certified instructor did not want to attend one of these seminars if was no big deal and new books would be sent out to those who did not attend.
    Ask your wife if she watched a video at her class, the reason i ask is the video has been removed permanatly! and if she did then this instructor will be in trouble.
    Ask your wife is she got a copy of the red book from the class, look at the red book, the new one will say updated and after dec 1t 2011 only.
    If you find one of these things you can talk to he instructor immedialty and tell him man to man
    If you find both of these things, contact the criminal justice department and report the instructor.
    The video was not used (it was used in my class).
    The same book that I received in June was used, however during my wife's class, the changes were covered, and either marked thru with corrections and/or replacement pages furnished.
    The test questions that were incorrectly scored, were properly covered with the corrections to the book during the class.

I see the instructor occasionally and will mention the errors on the test. I asked my wife why she didn't say something and she said that she just didn't have an opportunity when the class was over. (and I guess didn't want to question the "teacher")

I would make contact to advise the instructor about the errors...I would remain VERY civil.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Does the instructor make up his own test, or is it a standardized test which is put out by the state? In Texas we have no choice but to use the test made up by the state.

The booklets we use (list of relevant CHL laws) are made up by the state. Until they update thier materials we are left using the "latest" materials. Their current version was prior to the changes in law that took effect on Nov. 1 2011. The test is the same test that has been used for years.

If you feel the need to contact the instructor, like others have said do it in a civil manner. If someone has an issue with what I teach during my classes, I have no problem discussing it with them and looking at the relevant statutes with them to determine what the answer to their question is.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I wonder how many failed the test, but actually passed and can't get a permit. hmmm...yes, bring the issue up to the instructor. IMO the instructor should re-grade all tests. It may come back to bite him.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Does the instructor make up his own test, or is it a standardized test which is put out by the state? In Texas we have not choice but the use the test made up by the state.

The booklets we use (list of relevant CHL laws) are made up by the state. Until they update thier materials we are left using the "latest" materials. Their current version was prior to the changes in law that took effect on Nov. 1 2011. The test is the same test that has been used for years.

If you feel the need to contact the instructor, like others have said do it in a civil manner. If someone has an issue with what I teach during my classes, I have no problem discussing it with them and looking at the relevant statutes with them to determine what the answer to their question is.
    The state provides a sample test but the instructor has the leeway to make their own written exam. Many follow the sample but it's not required.

Then if they follow the sample test, and it was not updated either by the state or the instructor that may very well be the reason that the answers were "incorrect" on the test with the recent changes in the law.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links