2 Fails for the price of one!

This is a discussion on 2 Fails for the price of one! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a situation early Saturday morning that was rather disturbing and at risk of being laughed off the forum I feel the need to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 2 Fails for the price of one!

2 Fails for the price of one!

I had a situation early Saturday morning that was rather disturbing and at risk of being laughed off the forum I feel the need to share in hopes that it will prevent someone else from making the same mistake. No it was not a ND or anything like that but the potential outcome could have been very bad.

At about 3am Sat. morning I was sitting in line at McDonald's (unhealthy I know, but hey, I'm a night shifter). Anyway, the McDonald's was one that had 2 drive-thru menu boards and I was at the inside one. This restaurant is also in the not so good part of town and people routinely ask for spare change in the parking lots in this area.

As I was waiting to give my order a guy suddenly stepped from around the outside menu board and was very quickly approaching my passenger door while reaching for the handle. I instinctively reached for my gun, the guy seen this and decided to move on. But, this is where I realized that I've been setting myself up for failure for about the last 2 years.

About 2 years ago I purchased a Springfield XDm and a Crossbreed Supertuck for my CC setup. I carry with a round in the chamber and remove my gun from the holster anywhere from 3-10 times a day depending on my routine for the day and how many restricted places I have to go. In order lessen the chances of a ND with all this handling I have gotten into the habit of grabbing the gun high to prevent depressing the grip safety when removing or replacing the gun into the holster. Here is FAIL 1. Muscle memory had me grab the gun in this manner which would have completely prevented me from being able to use the gun if needed. A quick re-adjustment to get a better grip alerted me to FAIL #2.

When I ordered my holster I had every intention of carrying all day, which I do about 95% of the time. In order to make it more comfortable I ordered it without the "combat cut". This was immediately noticeable when I got a thumb full of leather preventing me from getting a good grip.

I am now in the process of retraining myself for a proper shooting grip EVERY TIME I handle the gun. But, has anyone ever done their own "combat cut" on a holster? If so how did you do it? I don't want to mess up the holster because I really like it and don't want to have to wait a month for a new one if I destroy it. I assume it will void the lifetime warranty but I'm not too concerned about that because, well lets face it, if I would have needed to use it Sat. morning that lifetime could have been really short.

My advise to others, every time you remove your gun from the holster use the grip you want to use to actually fire the gun and 2; either get a holster that will allow you to get this grip or modify your current holster so you can get a proper grip. I didn't even realize that my "safety" practice was developing bad muscle memory.

2. Remove Ads

It's always a muscle memory thing...always do it the same...good advice!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    I say you did okay given the circumstances, i.e.:
    - Your SA was working fine, although this should be expected given the time of "night" and questionable location.
    - From a sitting position, inside your vehicle, you were able to "reach for your gun" in an instinctive/reactive mode without hesitation.
    - Whatever you did to make this suspicious guy re-think his plan...it worked.
    - You lived long enough to eat your "health food" and report out on this forum.

I agree, that you probably need to (re-)train. Maybe take an intermediate or advanced (tactical) course.

Anyway, glad to hear you were able to get out of this unscathed, and that, aside from an equipment mod./change, you realize your AAR (After Action Report) indicates more training is in order.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Muscle memory certainly counts. That's why I practice my draw on a regular basis.

No laughing from me. You learned and made your correction. In addition, just having the XD and reaching for it caused the potential perp to decide he had business elsewhere.
    ironmike86 likes this.

I agree with your advice. Good post.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Well at least your mistake didn't cost you dearly.............now make the required correction......scratch 1 to a learning experience.

Glad you had a chance to learn this before you actually needed your weapon!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

No harm, no foul. We are never 100%, 100% of the time.

Something to work on for the future.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I'm just glad it worked out for you in the end. Could have been much worse if you were one of the sheeple.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

VIP Member
    Except that I'd probably never be at McD at 3:AM in even the most desirable part of town, I think you did great and put up a great post.

Now, here's a thought. I hate those drive through set ups. You can get trapped where you can't drive forward or backward or even out of line--depending on how things are designed. That leaves one rather vulnerable for a variety of things. The usual annoying one is the car in front won't start or can't move, or their order is taking half an hour; meanwhile you can't back up because another car is right there three inches behind you, and he can't back out for the same reason.

As for being approached from the right like that, with doors and windows up and locked, you are fairly safe if there is room to pull forward and just drive away. Without that room, if the guy has a gun, you don't have the ability to just step on it and leave him standing there.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Except that I'd probably never be at McD at 3:AM in even the most desirable part of town, I think you did great and put up a great post.

Now, here's a thought. I hate those drive through set ups. You can get trapped where you can't drive forward or backward or even out of line--depending on how things are designed. That leaves one rather vulnerable for a variety of things. The usual annoying one is the car in front won't start or can't move, or their order is taking half an hour; meanwhile you can't back up because another car is right there three inches behind you, and he can't back out for the same reason.

As for being approached from the right like that, with doors and windows up and locked, you are fairly safe if there is room to pull forward and just drive away. Without that room, if the guy has a gun, you don't have the ability to just step on it and leave him standing there.
    The problem is that the OP works night shift. I worked night shift for a while and every once and a while I would forget my lunch, or wake up late or something. All of the normal places to eat out are closed at this time of night, leaving only fast food drive ups and convenience stores as the answer. None of these options are good places to be at 2am, especially in the area I worked in, which sounds similar to where the OP is.

OP, I am glad that you realized your mistakes and have found ways to correct them to keep your self safe. Good luck in the future, and bring a sack lunch. Safer to eat at work and better for your waistline, and your wallet.

Do it yourself combat cut is no big deal. I did it on my horsehide CBST.

Figure out just how much you want to cut off, use a sharp X-acto knife, maybe use a little fine sandpaper to smooth the edge.

When in doubt, cut less than you think you need to, try it, cut more if needed.

Here's mine:
    combatcut.jpg
    oneshot likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 82d DIVARTY View Post
    ...a guy suddenly stepped from around the outside menu board and was very quickly approaching my passenger door while reaching for the handle.
    Would he have found that door locked?
    ironmike86 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Do it yourself combat cut is no big deal. I did it on my horsehide CBST.

Figure out just how much you want to cut off, use a sharp X-acto knife, maybe use a little fine sandpaper to smooth the edge.

When in doubt, cut less than you think you need to, try it, cut more if needed.

+1 on the above. I did the combat cut to one of my Supertucks and it's easy as pie. Take out less than you think you need, try it out, take a little more, etc, until just right.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

Did a combat cut myself too- before it was even an option. Also added a hole for the mag release to keep from dropping mags while holstered. You could tell where I made the cuts at first, but eventually they wore in, and you couldn't tell.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links