DA/SA vs. striker fired

DA/SA vs. striker fired

This is a discussion on DA/SA vs. striker fired within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a S&W 9, which I think is what is called 'striker' fired. It has no external hammer. I am not that happy with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: DA/SA vs. striker fired

DA/SA vs. striker fired

I have a S&W 9, which I think is what is called 'striker' fired. It has no external hammer. I am not that happy with it, but have a sig 22 that I really like the feel of. I am looking at carry guns, and want to know if there are any pros and cons of a DA/SA such as a Sig vs. weapons without an external hammer. Also, I am in a compliant state with a 11 lb trigger, glocks are not legal, and my choice of manufac is fairly limited. S&W Compact, Ruger LC, Kahr, no hammer, Sig compact, Walther ppk, hammer.

Personal preference. I am used to DA/SA so that's what I'm more comfortable with. Certainly shoot both at a range and go with what you like...

I prefer DAO striker fired. Its the same trigger pull every time.

Wait - your member ID says you're in new Hampshire. NH has "compliance" rules for firearms? Sounds more like Massachusetts!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I think a couple of different issues are being mixed up. DA/SA DAO and SA are one set of issues. Striker fired v hammer is another.

Although I use a 1911 style SAO with a traditional hammer, the thing to keep in mind is that hammers can get caught, especially if you pocket carry. Also, something as stupid as a button torn from your shirt in a fight or a piece of cloth, could fall into the space and keep the hammer from falling; crazy stuff happens.

Either a hammerless revolver or a striker fired pistol would be better for carry for the reason that there is nothing to snag on your clothing or to get accidentally blocked by some piece of crud, torn clothes, etc. But, keep in mind that various manufacturers have come up with a variety of ways to minimize problems caused by the external hammer. Your decision will be partly determined by how you plan to carry.

I have one pistol which is DA (first trigger pull heavy)/ SA (light trigger pull thereafter), and striker fired. It would be an excellent carry gun if it were just a tad smaller. Mine is in .40; perhaps the same in 9mm would just fit me a tad better.

The small pocket pistols like the LCP are DAO and striker fired. You get the relative safety of a strong and long trigger pull and no hammer to get snagged or caught.

Shop, rent, compare. In the end there will always be something compromised; weight, width, trigger.
    Good luck.
    Eaglebeak likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    The small pocket pistols like the LCP are DAO and striker fired. You get the relative safety of a strong and long trigger pull and no hammer to get snagged or caught.
    Just to be clear... the Ruger LCP and it's bigger brother the Ruger LC9 (I have one)...are both DAO and hammer fired (not striker). The hammer is recessed into the handle/slide so it doesn't stick out like a revolver (or 1911)... but you can see it in the back of the slide.

Cheers!

+1 with personal preference. Although having a hidden hammer or internal striker for improved concealed carry is not a new concept, and has worked very well for a long time.

Take the Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless for example.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

VIP Member
    Basically it's what you feel comfortable with. I have a Kahr (striker fired) that I end up carrying when I'm working. On days off, or if I go out after work I'll carry either DA/SA gun or a SAO 1911. I have no problem with anything in my carry rotation, practice with what your going to carry and get used to it.
    BkCo1 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Wait - your member ID says you're in new Hampshire. NH has "compliance" rules for firearms? Sounds more like Massachusetts!
    No we do do not. I have no idea what he is talking about.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    Just to be clear... the Ruger LCP and it's bigger brother the Ruger LC9 (I have one)...are both DAO and hammer fired (not striker). The hammer is recessed into the handle/slide so it doesn't stick out like a revolver (or 1911)... but you can see it in the back of the slide.

Cheers!
    OK--thanks for the correction. Is the K-P3AT striker?

In any case, the issue determining what you choose has to revolve around how you plan on carrying. It shouldn't be dictated by brand loyalty, salesmen's advice, or fad.
    BkCo1 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I didn't know that Glocks were illegal anywhere??
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    No we do do not. I have no idea what he is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    OK--thanks for the correction. Is the K-P3AT striker?
    No.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    At 7-10 yards, I'm not getting pissy about any trigger. In a target shooting match, probably. When it comes down to pulling out a firearm to save my life, the style trigger isn't my main concern.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I prefer carrying a traditional 1911 single-action because I always point-shoot the first shot, and the much lighter/shorter trigger pull is much faster more accurate for me than a harder/longer DA trigger pull that can occasionally make me pull-off target a bit during a fast draw/fire point-shoot. The SA's light/short trigger pull is also the same with each shot, and the hammer lets me choose to either carry it in condition-2 (to cock as I draw) or in condition-1 (to only drop the thumb safety) after the weapon clears the holster (and me).

As mentioned, hammer spurs can sometimes get hung up on stuff (like John Wesley Hardin's suspenders); but I've always drawn my 1911's "single-action" style with my thumb over the hammer and finger beside the trigger so my thumb acts like a "hammer guard" to keep it from hanging up on anything during the pull. As soon as the muzzle clears the holster (and me), I can either cock the hammer (from condition-2) or slide my thumb down to drop the hammer safety (from condition-1) during weapon rise to make that first quick point-shot with a short/light trigger pull as soon as the muzzle is on target.

However, I've got a few friends who are a lot better with a double-action anything than I am and can draw and accurately point-shoot just as quickly as I can with a single-action; so it gets back to what Hopyard suggested in trying out a number of different hammer or hammerless revolvers and SAs to find the one that works best and most comfortable for your personal preference and ability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links