Marine in jail: Another reminder to be SURE of the laws when traveling out of state.

Marine in jail: Another reminder to be SURE of the laws when traveling out of state.

This is a discussion on Marine in jail: Another reminder to be SURE of the laws when traveling out of state. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Marine | New York Gun Law | Prison Sentence | The Daily Caller Ryan Jerome was enjoying his first trip to New York City on ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Marine in jail: Another reminder to be SURE of the laws when traveling out of state.

Marine | New York Gun Law | Prison Sentence | The Daily Caller

Ryan Jerome was enjoying his first trip to New York City on business when the former Marine Corps gunner walked up to a security officer at the Empire State Building and asked where he should check his gun.

That was when Jerome’s nightmare began. The security officer called police and Jerome spent the next two days in jail.

The 28-year-old with no criminal history now faces a mandatory minimum sentence of three and a half years in prison. If convicted, his sentence could be as high as fifteen years.

Jerome has a valid concealed carry permit in Indiana and visited New York believing that it was legal to bring his firearm. He was traveling with $15,000 worth of jewelry that he planned to sell.
    see link for full story.

Sadly, he is in a world of hurt! Looking at a boat load of money in legal fees. He regrettably violated Rule #1 If your a CHL, and your going to travel know your laws before leaving home. NYC is the worst place to go with a CHL. Great party town etc, but anti-gun. Hopefully he has some luck due to the "mis information" he obtained from the internet. They don't mess around in NYC. I received a parking ticket something like $85.00 problem was I was not even in the country at the time! I lived 1100 miles from NYC! I tried to explain and they were very rude! They told me to appear in traffic court! Yea Right, I'm not going to travel to NYC and try and fight $85.00 ticket spending $1500 to $2000 in travel costs.
    Last edited by HotGuns; January 3rd, 2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: language workaround

Interesting... Amazingly similar to the story of the nurse.

How innocent: "Sir, where can I check my weapon?"

Perhaps, NYC ought to consider putting up "weapons check" kiosks around the town, manned by police... Just outside some of the popular clubs.

New, NO WEAPONS POLICY. Check your guns here before entering...

Most criminals are dumber than average joe citizen who misread a reciprocity website... it'd probably work.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Interesting... Amazingly similar to the story of the nurse.

How innocent: "Sir, where can I check my weapon?"

Perhaps, NYC ought to consider putting up "weapons check" kiosks around the town, manned by police... Just outside some of the popular clubs.

New, NO WEAPONS POLICY. Check your guns here before entering...

Most criminals are dumber than average joe citizen who misread a reciprocity website... it'd probably work.
    Off topic. Oak what do those symbols in your sig. represent? break; back on topic.
    One more step and it's on!

As with the nurse "No good deed will go unpunished".

Yes you need to know the laws for concealed carry in the jurisdictions you are going to however when you try and do the right thing I think the punishment could better fit the "crime" then it does in NYC.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Just goes to show (being the second incident in so many days) that what many here think is common knowledge that
    every gun owner has, isn't.
    ksholder likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    What part of stay away from NYC do people not get?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just goes to show (being the second incident in so many days) that what many here think is common knowledge that
    every gun owner has, isn't.
    Lets not start this again LOL.......You say potato I say tomatoe. Just goes to show in so many days there are people that just can't figure out common sense things. At least he tried to look it up which makes me wonder if he believes everything he sees on the internet. I say a fine (It still is a law ya know), give him his gun back at the airport and change the friggin law. OMG it is NYC
    Harryball likes this.

My guess is that this case will end up in court and could turn into a mcdonald type of ground breaking case. It really sets up the question of what type of scrutiny the courts need to use to judge gun laws, and with each passing event where something like this happens, it points to a higher level of scrutiny. So, as painful as this is for this guy, we shouldn't just say, oops, know the laws, but get behind him to say that these laws are unconstitutional to begin with.

VIP Member
    I'd like to know what site he went to. I've never seen one that said NY accepted another states permit. For that matter I'm not even sure if a permit from anywhere else in NYS is accepted NYC. If they could find a way to avoid it they wouldn't accept LEOSA permits.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

"[OMG it is NYC]"

That Said it all ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Once again, ignorance of the law...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    For some reason I think the Empire State Bldg. has security screening ever since the case of sudden jihad syndrome about a decade or so ago...

So would the penalty be the same if he didn't check in and was caught with the weapon?

He hadn't heard about the case of Plaxico Burress?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links