How many layers of clothing between you and your sidearm?

This is a discussion on How many layers of clothing between you and your sidearm? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With Winter slowly encroaching on the northern hemisphere, I thought I'd poll the forum to see what people's thoughts and practices were regarding the number ...

View Poll Results: What is the optimal number of layers between you and your sidearm?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 (I prefer open carry)

2 2.50%
  • 1 (just a shirt OR sweater OR jacket)

60 75.00%
  • 2 (shirt + sweater OR sweater + jacket)

17 21.25%
  • 3 or more

1 1.25%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How many layers of clothing between you and your sidearm?

Question How many layers of clothing between you and your sidearm?

With Winter slowly encroaching on the northern hemisphere, I thought I'd poll the forum to see what people's thoughts and practices were regarding the number of clothing layers between them and their sidearm.

I try to keep this number at or below two.

In the summertime, this isn't so much of a challenge:
    • For work, my "top" layers consist of undershirt -> IWB hybrid holster -> outer shirt (usually a polo or oxford)
    • For casual, my "top" layers consist of IWB hybrid holster -> outer shirt (t-shirt, polo, etc.)

In the wintertime, however, this becomes more complicated as we start adding things like sweaters and jackets. While sweaters tend to go on and stay on, I'll take my coat off when arriving at the office. So here's what I've generally been doing: undershirt -> overshirt -> IWB hybrid holster -> sweater

This solution is fine in that there's at max two layers of clothing between me and my sidearm (jacket and sweater). My concern is that the sweater could ride up and expose the sidearm.

Alternatively, I could tuck the holster between my undershirt and overshirt, like I do in the summertime, but then I'm facing a situation where I'd have to pull up to three layers of clothing out of the way to access the firearm (jacket + sweater + shirt).

What are your thoughts? What do you do in the winter?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    in winter i wear a coat that has been to the tailors--the left pocket has been enlarged, reinforced and has a pouch so as to carry a j-frame;
    the right pocket has a slit which is oversticheded to allow my hand to reach through and grasp whats on my belt or IWB.

when i will be separated from my coat, a shoulder holster and a shirt with snaps. if all i have is a button down shirt to wear
    with a suit than, if needed, I'll just have to jam my hand past the buttons to get to the gun.

i also get good use from my Sig coat with its built in holsters on both sides.

other seasons i wear straight cut shirts untucked.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

In the summer I wear un-tucked shirts.
    In the winter, I will tuck in a tshirt, and it is between me and the holster. A shirt can be tucked in over the firearm, or not...

The Problem comes with a hoodie and a carhart coat over my normal attire... now I've got too many layers to effectively clear my firearm... and at times, depending where I am, the handgun goes in the Carhart pocket.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    The Problem comes with a hoodie and a carhart coat over my normal attire... now I've got too many layers to effectively clear my firearm... and at times, depending where I am, the handgun goes in the Carhart pocket.
    That sounds like the same problem I'm encountering. Ideally I only want one piece of clothing between me and the firearm. So then I'm forced to ask myself if the risk of accidental exposure is worth the improved access speed I get by tucking in my collared shirt and wearing only a sweater over the firearm.

OPTIMAL???? Optimal definition: Most favorable or desirable.

Optimal definition: Most favorable or desirable.

I would have used better wording. Who prefers to have multiple layers between them and the weapon??? Gee, I like to have 52 layers, it keeps the gun warm LOL

You try to reduce anything that will constrain you from a clean draw.
    There are only two answers: 0 for OC
    and 1 for CC
    Last edited by suntzu; January 4th, 2012 at 01:53 PM.
    wmhawth likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I like just one.

When it's getting cold enough for a jacket I will usually go to OWB holsters with an untucked shirt and jacket. I generally don't zip the jacket so I can just brush it back. If I am keeping the jacket on, I will VA tuck the shirt behind the holster to get the shirt out of the way. Guess I could tuck it too. Think OC but with a jacket on.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Don't be so pedantic. This is an internet forum, not an SAT essay.

Quote Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
    Don't be so pedantic. This is an internet forum, not an SAT essay.
    Sorry if I hurt your feelings. It WAS a JOKE. Did you not see the LOL? LOL I swear, the thickness of skin these days is thinner than phyllo dough. Next time I will begin with the punch line OK if that is easier for you.

BTW: that is a very big word to use on an internet forum:pedantic LOL

Always just one layer of clothing. In the winter I carry in my coat pocket.

VIP Member
    I always wear an a-shirt between my skin and my iwb holster. What goes on over it depends on the weather.

T-shirt in between...Nothing more needed...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

1 here...makes no difference the time of year. I carry OWB, so always one (shirt open, vest, jacket), and use a sweep to access. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Always no more than one, and that one will never be more than an un-tucked shirt. I don't have to dress formally for anything so I don't have that to worry about.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links