What do you tell skeptic's why you carry? - Page 2

What do you tell skeptic's why you carry?

This is a discussion on What do you tell skeptic's why you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by WHEC724 I don't disclose that I do carry. I hear people say dumb stuff all the time. I have no delusion of ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: What do you tell skeptic's why you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I don't disclose that I do carry.

I hear people say dumb stuff all the time. I have no delusion of being their educator.

If someone asks if I carry, depending on who they are and the context of the conversation, I may or may not disclose, but in a polite way.

If they ask my opinion, I'll engage the conversation based on sound logic. The reasons are almost endless. It boils down to the understanding that a concealed firearm is to be used purely as a defensive solution to only an immediate pending lethal threat. The safe holstered carry of a safe firearm by a properly trained individual that abides by 4 simple rules, ensures there will be no unnecessary risk.
    Well stated thanks

I recently had a situation where I decided to disclose that I carry. I am going on a snowmobiling trip with the in-laws and am going to be staying in the same cabin and had planned on carrying while riding. So out of respect for my in-laws I decided to disclose, Father in-law was all for it....Mother in-law on the other hand was not so much. Now I have a personal dilemma, do I carry anyways and risk making the trip uncomfortable, or do I leave it in the truck?

Disclosing that you carry has a lot of headaches attached to it :(.

VIP Member
    I don't bother wasting my breath on them. The funny thing is, most of them will run to a friend who they know carry if the SHTF.
    NavyAirdale likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

PB2
    I've had short discussions with several people who ask why I carry a gun, including my own father. My response is always the same, "We live in a very dangerous world." In every case the reaction has been the same, they slowly nod their head in quiet agreement.

The only person who's questioned why I carry is a friend who also owns a handgun, but doesn't carry and only uses it for range and home defense. I said the classic "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it." and now he's getting his CWL. Other than family, no one else knows I carry, and I plan to keep it that way.
    jblives2ride likes this.

Because the voi...... Don't tell him? why not? Oh..... OK. So how about them Texans?
    PB2 and Flasher like this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    My wife, parents, grand mother and brother in law no one knows I carry.
    Your wife doesn't know you carry?

am I misreading what you wrote?

Tell him to read the paper, listen to the news, get your head out of your a$$ and look around.
    Honk and Flasher like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Besides my oldest two kids, the only person that knows is my girlfriend. She couldn't understand why anyone would need to have a gun. I related to her some things that have happend to me and explained that I carry (concealed) for the same reason she wears a seatbelt and keeps a fire extinguisher in her kitchen. Police/Fire/EMS respond after the fact when the damage is already done. She had lived a sheltered life and since she doesnt watch the news, she was oblivious to home invasions, robberies, and shootings happening around where we live. Now she goes shooting with me. :)

Just pulling your leg bandrich. I knew what you meant. Welcome to the forum.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    I recently had a situation where I decided to disclose that I carry. I am going on a snowmobiling trip with the in-laws and am going to be staying in the same cabin and had planned on carrying while riding. So out of respect for my in-laws I decided to disclose, Father in-law was all for it....Mother in-law on the other hand was not so much. Now I have a personal dilemma, do I carry anyways and risk making the trip uncomfortable, or do I leave it in the truck?

Be a man and stick to your guns (pun intended), she'll get used to it.
    Spec likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    read my sig line...

Now, folks know I have a permit... It gets published in the paper. Folks know I like firearms. Some are anti. Some are not. I will discuss firearms and the new laws in Iowa regarding weapons carry.

Do I "educate" them? No. But I do love an argument... and many times I can sway their 100% anti position to one of live and let live. That's enough for me...
    It gets published in the paper?

My parents don't know I carry and they are really scared to death about guns. I mean on the verge of hysteria. On holidays out of respect for them (it would be the one time I get outed) my wife and lock it in the truck. But other relatives that do not like guns I carry and if outed I don't care.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post

You have just hit upon one of the many reasons I don't discuss it with non-believers. My mother-in-law, sisters-in-law and their families, with whom I spend holidays have no idea that I carry a firearm. They do know I am an NRA instructor and 2nd Amendment advocate, which has led to lively discussions. Heck, my brothers-in-law both fired their first handguns while here on vacation this summer. Even though my pistols seemed to magically appear before them, neither were able to ascertain from whence they came. Now you see it, now you don't. As far as they could tell, I had merely carried them in pockets. Informing is not, in my mind respectful, particularly amongst those who are uncomfortable or unfamiliar with firearms.

simple answer- your life may depend on it!,you have the Constitutional Right to keep and bear arms! and you support the Second Amendment! that's 3 good reasons you can give him..

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links