What do you tell skeptic's why you carry?

This is a discussion on What do you tell skeptic's why you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Mike1956 I carry concealed, so the discussion never takes place. Ditto...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: What do you tell skeptic's why you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I carry concealed, so the discussion never takes place.
    Ditto

2. Remove Ads

"Carry Always Never Tell." Borrowed from someones signature.
    If someone finds out and asks, just smile and go on your way.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

You have just hit upon one of the many reasons I don't discuss it with non-believers. My mother-in-law, sisters-in-law and their families, with whom I spend holidays have no idea that I carry a firearm. They do know I am an NRA instructor and 2nd Amendment advocate, which has led to lively discussions. Heck, my brothers-in-law both fired their first handguns while here on vacation this summer. Even though my pistols seemed to magically appear before them, neither were able to ascertain from whence they came. Now you see it, now you don't. As far as they could tell, I had merely carried them in pockets. Informing is not, in my mind respectful, particularly amongst those who are uncomfortable or unfamiliar with firearms.
    I tend to disagree with you on this point. If it were me and you carry a gun into my home without telling me, you are going to do quite a bit of damage to our relationship...I wouldn't have an issue with it...but it is MY home and not any form of public space so you had better ask me first.

Due to retention concerns while out on the trail I had to switch from my Supertuck to an OWB rig and concealment became less feasible unless I wanted to bury my gun under layers and have to fight through those if I needed it. That is a big part of why I told them.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    No one knows unless I want them to know, maybe (family/ friends) and some of them carry so no discussion needed.
    NavyAirdale likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    I tend to disagree with you on this point. If it were me and you carry a gun into my home without telling me, you are going to do quite a bit of damage to our relationship...I wouldn't have an issue with it...but it is MY home and not any form of public space so you had better ask me first.

Due to retention concerns while out on the trail I had to switch from my Supertuck to an OWB rig and concealment became less feasible unless I wanted to bury my gun under layers and have to fight through those if I needed it. That is a big part of why I told them.
    I had retention (and other) problems with the CBST as well, hence, I never wear one . My Brommeland Max-Con V IWBs have no such issues. You have every right to your policy regarding concealed firearms within you home. If you put a CPZ sign up, I wouldn't come in.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    My wife and son know. Other than that the guy that signed my permit. I shoot on my property so I don't even hang out at the range where everybody is showing off the latest and greatest. I can not fathom why anybody would tell somebody and even more bewildered why they would stop and have a conversation about it.
    This right here, dont talk about it, dont tell know one...

You have every right to your policy regarding concealed firearms within you home. If you put a CPZ sign up, I wouldn't come in.
    OUCH!!!
    gunsnroses likes this.

There are two ways to be protected. Carry a gun or carry a cop, and since I can't carry a cop, I carry a gun.

I am a firearms instructor and I get asked all the time. My response is "If you really want to discuss it I would be happy to set an appointment with you and give you all my reasons. But I am not going to hold that discussion here in ****** (give location)."
    Spec and Honk like this.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=Mike1956;2123505]I carry concealed, so the discussion never takes place.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    Unless they are close family they shouldn't even know that you are packing. My wife, parents, grand mother and brother in law no one knows I carry. Talking to people like that is a waste of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I don't disclose that I do carry.

I hear people say dumb stuff all the time. I have no delusion of being their educator.

If someone asks if I carry, depending on who they are and the context of the conversation, I may or may not disclose, but in a polite way.

If they ask my opinion, I'll engage the conversation based on sound logic. The reasons are almost endless. It boils down to the understanding that a concealed firearm is to be used purely as a defensive solution to only an immediate pending lethal threat. The safe holstered carry of a safe firearm by a properly trained individual that abides by 4 simple rules, ensures there will be no unnecessary risk.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^and^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^ ^

Other than that, people on the street can go fly a kite.

I've got some cousins that do not know, and I've got good friends who do know. It all depends.
    Spec likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I don't tell people I carry, and don't care what they think about it.

However, I do bring the subject up to other people at times ..... "why don't you carry? " ..... and get all types of explanations. They may ask me what I think, and I'll tell them what I used to do, some of the things I've seen in life, and that explain if anyone thinks they are 'safe' are kidding themselves. Various friends got their CC's after some of those types of conversations. Some people, just never really think about it, and others just want to hide away and not address that the world is not all peace and love.

I think anyone who knows me well, already assume that I carry but have never asked or commented. Only a couple ever did .... and their comment was.... "I assume you always have a gun on you ... don't you ? ".

Ironically, my brother never realized I carried until one day when we were out at the farm and I pulled my holster and gun & layed them down on a picnic table. He's retired career Army, and he doesn't like it all... which was a surprise to me. He keep worrying about it accidentally going off.... so one day I layed it on the picnic table as we were working and he asked what I was doing. I told him.... I'm seeing if you are right and it will fire all by itself.

One day he commented to his son, well ... I don't have to carry ... he'll protect me since he's carrying a gun. I told him , "no I won't, I'll use it to protect myself... you are all on your own".
    bandrich likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    The only people who know I carry is my wife and my son who is a LEO in Nothern Nevada. The PD I consult for in California assume I carry in Nevada as they know I have a permit from by Background check. Not a general discussion topic. My other sons and daughters don't know. It is not open for discussion and it can place you in jeopardy should there be a problem.

If you get into a general discussion on firearms, one statement is all that is needed, "People carry because when seconds counts and the LEs are JUST minutes away, they are going to excerise their rights of self-defense for themselves and their family!"

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I OC. If I get "questioned" or a naysayer I let them know that they are entitled to their opinion. I have no duty to educate or make someone feel more at ease.

#1. I don't waste any time discussing my rights with those who cannot figure those reasons out for themselves.
    #2. I have, on occasion, been 'sucked into' a 'Q & A' on firearms with anti's...it doesn't last too long, I just refer myself back to #1.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I just C.A.N.T. Carry ...Always...Never....Tell
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Generally I don't choose to debate with ignorant people, I have better things to do.

Now, when something really bad happens to them and they repeat the story in my presence I just smile and say, "That's why, stupid."

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links