What do you tell skeptic's why you carry?

This is a discussion on What do you tell skeptic's why you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't tell anyone that I'm carrying and since I'm probably what a lot of people consider a lefty, nobody suspects that I'm carrying....

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: What do you tell skeptic's why you carry?

I don't tell anyone that I'm carrying and since I'm probably what a lot of people consider a lefty, nobody suspects that I'm carrying.
    jrclen and Ishmael like this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Most of my family and friends know I carry. I only know of a couple of friends who don't have their permits. Though only 3 carry all the time like I do.

This came up when I visited my Sister in NY for Thanksgiving. A couple that have been long time friends of theirs were also there. They asked me why I carry. They learned from my sister. I taught my sister, her husband, and their youngest daughter to shoot, about gun safety, etc. Then they went on and took the NRA class as well. But I digress.

The guy is a conservative, quite smart, had no problem with me carrying, but was genuinely curious about why. We had a great discussion. He asked how I decided when to carry. I said that was easy, except for visiting NY, I carry all the time. No decision required.

He finally asked what was for him the key question, "even places you don't think you might need it?" I told him I never go anyplace I think I'll need it. If I thought that, I wouldn't go there. So needing it will always be at a time and place I'd never think I might need it, which means if it is going to do me any good I always have to have it with me. And always have it on me at home, which, surprisingly enough, is where I think I might be most likely to need it. I don't move fast enough to go get it from someplace else in the house, I need it right where I am.

I could see the light coming on. About a minute later he asked if I could give him the 2 hour handgun basics class I'd given my sister and her family. I did, and we ended up at a range with my sister's family along so we could shoot their guns. I suggested he take a real class, the Rochester Institute is there and has good classes.

Worked out well.

Fitch
    marcclarke, mjb65, Spec and 2 others like this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    It gets published in the paper?
    Yes, the fourth estate (journalists) in our state apparently think that since it's public record, they should publish it... Now, they don't publish Driver's licenses, building permits, or criminal court outcomes... but they think everybody in their readership needs to know who carries a firearm, professionally , or personally. (still two types of Permit in Iowa)
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

My reply would be "for the same reason I wear a seat belt in the car" to make my chances of surviving an unplanned event greater.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    That they'll be wishing like hell that I am on the scene when some bad mierda happens to them, and that I may or not help them.

My family know and only very close friends and I mean very close know I carry .

I don`t run around telling people how much money I have either.
    Keep your powder dry

GM
    Nothing, I just ignore them.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

It gets published in the paper?

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Yes, the fourth estate (journalists) in our state apparently think that since it's public record, they should publish it... Now, they don't publish Driver's licenses, building permits, or criminal court outcomes... but they think everybody in their readership needs to know who carries a firearm, professionally , or personally. (still two types of Permit in Iowa)
    They just do it to tick off responsible citizens.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I would never willingly enter such a discussion, and I carefully avoid exposing any information that might suggest that I carry.
    rgbiker likes this.

I understand that many of us don't want anyone to know that we carry and neither do I. I only told my girlfriend since it was impossible to hide it from her. First time I CC around her she wrapped her arms around me and felt the gun and asked me about it. If someone does see you printing and asks, are you just going to ignore them and not explain? I think if you don't tell your side, then you have lost an excellent opportunity to help some people who are anti-gun or uneducated about guns see the light. Shouldn't we all be good ambassadors of gun rights and our community and use this situation as a chance to change the public's perception of gun rights? I AM NOT talking about show and tell, only talking about explaining to those who inadvertently find out. Would you really ignore them, or would you use this as an opportunity to advance gun rights by changing someone's perception?

Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    "Carry Always Never Tell." Borrowed from someones signature.
    If someone finds out and asks, just smile and go on your way.
    Et cum spiritu tuo in reply to your signature line.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    I understand that many of us don't want anyone to know that we carry and neither do I. I only told my girlfriend since it was impossible to hide it from her. First time I CC around her she wrapped her arms around me and felt the gun and asked me about it. If someone does see you printing and asks, are you just going to ignore them and not explain? I think if you don't tell your side, then you have lost an excellent opportunity to help some people who are anti-gun or uneducated about guns see the light. Shouldn't we all be good ambassadors of gun rights and our community and use this situation as a chance to change the public's perception of gun rights? I AM NOT talking about show and tell, only talking about explaining to those who inadvertently find out. Would you really ignore them, or would you use this as an opportunity to advance gun rights by changing someone's perception?
    If I am "outed" due to printing or an exposure.. And they wish to engage in conversation about it, I'm open to that... If the question is "Why do feel you need to carry a gun?" I'll answer with an equally emotional response... "I don't know about you, but I love my family, and I'd do anything to protect my wife (and children, if applicable). I mean, if something were to happen to them, and I could have prevented it, I don't know if I could live with myself."

If they proceed with the conversation in a rational manner, I'd do the same... but if they start throwing around how guns are evil, people who carry are "compensating," or other equally unfounded arguments... I'll just leave it at what I said and move along....

I've had many, many discussions about guns. Not due to printing or other exposure... and have turned a few antis into an attitude of "live and let live" at least... But some are just so bigoted in their view, that no amount of logic or facts will turn their opinion into something rational...
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Quote Originally Posted by rgbiker View Post
    I tell 'em:"It's none of your business why I carry a firearm".
    ^^^^^^^^
    this

Politely say It's my G-D given right to defend myself and my family, re-enforced by the 2A.

Links