need some help figuring out where my permit is valid - Page 2

need some help figuring out where my permit is valid

This is a discussion on need some help figuring out where my permit is valid within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by boatman Trying to figure out handgun reciprocity site. I am in MA with FID card, licensed for hunting and target. I want ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: need some help figuring out where my permit is valid

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    Trying to figure out handgun reciprocity site.

I am in MA with FID card, licensed for hunting and target.

I want to target shoot in NH and CT.

Site says that my permit is not valid there.

Is this just for CCW? Or that I can't bring my weapon into the state?

On the NH site, it says that I can transport my weapon in my trunk, locked, with ammo separate. But it also says they do not honor MA permit. So not sure which is correct.

Some help here would be appreciated. Thanks
    Best place is with the states themselves, State Police perhaps. We could give you well-meaning info we THOUGHT was true and........
    BINGO! It's felony-time. We were wrong. But it's YOUR felony.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Trying to figure out handgun reciprocity site.

I am in MA with FID card, licensed for hunting and target.

I want to target shoot in NH and CT.

Site says that my permit is not valid there.

Is this just for CCW? Or that I can't bring my weapon into the state?

On the NH site, it says that I can transport my weapon in my trunk, locked, with ammo separate. But it also says they do not honor MA permit. So not sure which is correct.

Some help here would be appreciated. Thanks
    If you have a MA FID card, that usually implies that you are under 21 yo (MA laws don't permit issuance of a LTC to anyone under 21 yo, NOR does MA law allow anyone under 21 to POSSESS/TRANSPORT/PURCHASE any handgun or handgun ammo)!

So let's start there. You can only possess/transport low-capacity long guns with that FID card within MA.

NH allows ANYONE to possess and shoot long guns. Transportation must be unloaded (can't have a loaded long gun in a vehicle at any time).

I don't know CT laws, so I'll leave that to others.

The best place to go to get answers to these questions is the state-specific sub-forums under Gun Laws forum in Northeastshooters.com - Northeastshooters.com News

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    You don't need any sort of license to possess, transport, and shoot your guns in New Hampshire. New Hampshire will not issue you a carry permit without a non-restricted permit from another state.
    Almost correct, they will issue a NR NH Pistol Permit to anyone with a restricted (or unrestricted) LTC/CCW. HOWEVER, as pointed out above, an FID card is "none of the above" and doesn't qualify for obtaining a NH NR PP.

Thank you for all the responses. I am not concealed carry licensed. I am licensed for target and hunting. I just want to put my gun and ammo in my car, drive to a range in NH, take it out, and shoot there. The gun will be unloaded, mag out, and no bullets in the mag. All in a bag in my trunk (not sure how I have a trunk in my SUV)
    Follow the Fed Law (FOPA) for transportation and you'll be fine for NH.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Are you talking about rifles and shotguns or are you talking about handguns. These are different animals legally.

I can't comment on NH, but as far as I know, you are perfectly OK to transport a rifle or shotgun as you described into neighboring CT. because possession of rifles and shotguns isn't licensed the way handgun possession is.

If you are talking about a handgun, again, I can't comment on NH, but you certainly can get a CT non-resident permit; though doing so is a bit of a bunch of hoop jumping. But, that permit applies to handguns, and is not related to rifles and shotguns.

There is yet another issue, but coming from MA it probably isn't something that will be an issue. You have to comply with the magazine restrictions and the "weapons type" restrictions in the state you will be going to, as well as be cautious about not inadvertently breaking the hunting laws. These can get weird too.

Besides the handgun laws site, check the NRA site. It contains some broader content covering rifles and shotguns but is not as specific as Handgunlaws.
    He can't possess any handguns with an FID card in MA, so handguns seem to be a moot point here.

The only thing I'll say about CT for the OP is BEWARE of the CT banned list, as MA allows any brand/caliber of long guns whereas CT does not.

Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    Best place is with the states themselves, State Police perhaps. We could give you well-meaning info we THOUGHT was true and........
    BINGO! It's felony-time. We were wrong. But it's YOUR felony.
    Best place is the State's own website with their laws, read them and abide by them. I know that MA State Police (and other agencies under their umbrella) REGULARLY give out bad info (not intentional, they just don't know/understand the MA gun laws and "try to be helpful) . . . some of which can earn the person relying on it a 10 year minimum stay in the gray-bar hotel!!

The NH RSAs are real short and easy to understand.
    NRA Instructor

Thanks for this great info. Sorry, wish I was 21 again;-) More specifically, have class A license, but only to target and hunt, not CCW. Could I ask you to re answer with those facts. I am only talking about a handgun, not rifle. Thanks. You can PM me if this is going to long... appreciate your answers.

Thanks for this great info. Sorry, wish I was 21 again;-) More specifically, have class A license, but only to target and hunt, not CCW. Could I ask you to re answer with those facts. I am only talking about a handgun, not rifle. Thanks. You can PM me if this is going to long... appreciate your answers.
    OK, now I hope you see the need to tell us all the pertinent facts so our help can be relevant.

[I wish I was 21 again too, instead of multiples of it! ]

OK, you have a restricted LTC-A.

That allows you to get a NH NR PP if you want, a one-page form and $100 for x years (bill is in process that might extend it, I think it is 4 or 5 years currently). It is currently taking >1 month to get it and the form can be DL'd from the state website.

In NH, the ONLY thing that the NH PP is good for is CONCEALED CARRY, it is NOT needed (or relevant) for possession, transportation, or going shooting somewhere in NH. NOTE: NH requires a permit for you to carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle as well.

I'll let the CT folks answer for CT but it is my belief that we aren't allowed to transport a handgun in CT w/o a CT NR permit. I've never bothered with CT as it is never a destination for me where I could bring a gun even if I had a permit. I've had my NH PP for 13 years and vacation in VT, NH and ME so I am familiar with their laws. I am a "subject matter expert" on MA gun laws.

The rest of the info in my prior point is still valid.
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post

I'll let the CT folks answer for CT but it is my belief that we aren't allowed to transport a handgun in CT w/o a CT NR permit.
    That's my understanding as well. You need the CT Non Resident permit.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    If you are talking about a handgun, again, I can't comment on NH, but you certainly can get a CT non-resident permit; though doing so is a bit of a bunch of hoop jumping.
    Not really any hoops for a non resident CT. Apply to State police and send you the permit...all through the mail. Residents have to apply locally...wait to receive a temp permit...then go apply to the state police...wait to be approved....though lately they have been issuing the State level permit on the spot....but it's still too many steps.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I thought that card was for buying ammo in the people republic of Mass.This was a knee jerk reaction to the murders of
    the two Kennedy Brothers.The rest of us got the gun control act oif 1968.What pisses me of if Bobby had not double crossed the mob both him and his brother probably would of lived a long life.Screwing Castro didn't help either as he want some payback for Bay of Pigs and numerous assination attempts on his life by the CIA.New Hampshire got dam greedy as just three or four years ago they were a mere twenty bucks for non resident ccw.Hey guy, you want to target shoot bring your firearms to Maine we ask no long rifles or shotguns can be loaded in a vehicle.Best thing put your ammo in the truck or rifles in car or
    vicecy verusa.We ask you that you are 18 years of age to buy your ammo.Maine is a welfare state and a vacation destination
    so we are dam pleased to take as much money from you as we tax the hell out of everybody;almost as good as little Washington aka Mass.Guys please chime in on the age there uised to be an age difference on handgun ammo you had to be 21 to purchase that and 18 for long rifle I remember making a point witha salesman pointing out camp carbines all use pistol ammo as long as I tell you I am using it in a rifle you'll sell it to me and the wallworld wingnut saidyes!

CT also requires an NRA Certificate showing that you had taken NRA Basic Pistol (other courses won't do according to what I've been told), so it is a bit of a PITA to get their permit. NH requires nothing but the form and a check, plus a copy of your permit from any state.
    NRA Instructor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links