need some help figuring out where my permit is valid

This is a discussion on need some help figuring out where my permit is valid within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Trying to figure out handgun reciprocity site. I am in MA with FID card, licensed for hunting and target. I want to target shoot in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: need some help figuring out where my permit is valid

Trying to figure out handgun reciprocity site.

I am in MA with FID card, licensed for hunting and target.

I want to target shoot in NH and CT.

Site says that my permit is not valid there.

Is this just for CCW? Or that I can't bring my weapon into the state?

On the NH site, it says that I can transport my weapon in my trunk, locked, with ammo separate. But it also says they do not honor MA permit. So not sure which is correct.

Some help here would be appreciated. Thanks

I would place a call to the state you intend to shoot and ask. There are some great people here but this is the wrong place to trust you future. Advice is usually an educated, and sometimes not, opinion. It is not my record, gun or permit that is at stake.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Is this the site you are trying to figure out?

Handgunlaw.us
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I believe an FID card is only valid for the states in which they are issued. They are not a concealed carry permit. However, IANAL. Call the states you are planning to visit and get something definitive from their justice department.

VIP Member
    You can get a New Hampshire non-resident permit for $100, all by mail.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    You don't need any sort of license to possess, transport, and shoot your guns in New Hampshire. New Hampshire will not issue you a carry permit without a non-restricted permit from another state.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    Trying to figure out handgun reciprocity site.

I am in MA with FID card, licensed for hunting and target.

I want to target shoot in NH and CT.

Site says that my permit is not valid there.

Is this just for CCW? Or that I can't bring my weapon into the state?

On the NH site, it says that I can transport my weapon in my trunk, locked, with ammo separate. But it also says they do not honor MA permit. So not sure which is correct.

Some help here would be appreciated. Thanks
    Step 1: For NH call the State Police. As far as I know you need to apply for a non-residence permit through the State Police (150.00 I think).
    Step 2: Move out of MA

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Here is a site where you can find out about reciprocity: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travel/

IMHO this is the only thing currently from USCCA that I would use!

As for travel here is a inexpensive booklet: http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/Pro...=PB+01566&ct=e

Hope this helps!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    A Firearms Identification Card is completely different than a Conceal Carry Permit.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thank you for all the responses. I am not concealed carry licensed. I am licensed for target and hunting. I just want to put my gun and ammo in my car, drive to a range in NH, take it out, and shoot there. The gun will be unloaded, mag out, and no bullets in the mag. All in a bag in my trunk (not sure how I have a trunk in my SUV)

OP permit is valid in Arizona. Everyone's out of state permit is valid in Arizona. As a matter of fact, we don't even need no steekin' permit in Arizona...

I love Arizona.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The hardest part is to figure out how to get around NY, permit or not.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The hardest part is to figure out how to get around NY, permit or not.
    NY is not a problem. If you know the double secret handshake. All you have to do is walk up to any LEO and say" I am from out of town and where do I check my firearm. He will ask you to place your hands behind your back and he will show you the handshake.
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    Are you talking about rifles and shotguns or are you talking about handguns. These are different animals legally.

I can't comment on NH, but as far as I know, you are perfectly OK to transport a rifle or shotgun as you described into neighboring CT. because possession of rifles and shotguns isn't licensed the way handgun possession is.

If you are talking about a handgun, again, I can't comment on NH, but you certainly can get a CT non-resident permit; though doing so is a bit of a bunch of hoop jumping. But, that permit applies to handguns, and is not related to rifles and shotguns.

There is yet another issue, but coming from MA it probably isn't something that will be an issue. You have to comply with the magazine restrictions and the "weapons type" restrictions in the state you will be going to, as well as be cautious about not inadvertently breaking the hunting laws. These can get weird too.

Besides the handgun laws site, check the NRA site. It contains some broader content covering rifles and shotguns but is not as specific as Handgunlaws.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links