"Good Cause" statement for Ca CCW permit application

This is a discussion on "Good Cause" statement for Ca CCW permit application within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need some help drafting up a good cause statement for my Ca CCW application. I am on active duty in the USMC and I ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By TX expat
  • 3 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By suntzu

Thread: "Good Cause" statement for Ca CCW permit application

I need some help drafting up a good cause statement for my Ca CCW application. I am on active duty in the USMC and I am stationed at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar. I live in the shady neighborhood of Serra Mesa, San Diego, Ca which has a very high crime rate. I am qualified as an expert with the military issued 9mm Beretta. I have a Secret clearence and often transport sensitive material. I am married and have three children 4,2, and 1. I would appreciate it if anyone could help me condence this into a few sentences and make it convencing. -Josh

VIP Member
    I guess "because the Bill of Rights says I can" isn't going to fly, huh?

Wish I had some real help for you, but I will say that I really feel for you honest folks that have to live in a place where they are more concerned about you being an easy victim, than with you being able to defend yourself.

Good luck with your application!
    mare11257 likes this.

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware!

I am on active duty in the USMC (stationed at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar), I am qualified as an expert with the military issued 9mm Beretta. I have a Secret clearence and often transport sensitive material. I am married and have three children 4,2, and 1. I live in a high crime rate area, and am requesting a CCW permit for the protection of myself, wife and children.

Good luck!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

It totally sucks that wanting to be able to defend your loved ones isn't a good enough reason in states that make you jump thru hoops to try to get a permit,FWIW Texas issues CHL's to 18 year olds if they are in the armed forces
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Don’t know if they will accept this but “I want to have the ability to return home safely every night”.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

How about "for all legal purposes" - ?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Not sure about San Diego or what they are looking for. In San Bernardino county the justification of "personal protection" was all that was required, although I had elaborated on that trying to encompass all avenues of personal protection and reasons why. Good luck and keep us posted.

And welcome!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Unfortunately, you're in one of the counties that is least likely to give John Q. Public a permit.

County Map for California CCW Issuance - CalCCW

But, that's also the county involved in a suit to get permits issued that is bound be affected by the denial of open carry now.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Josh: The subject of ‘good cause’ is a touchy one in most forums and the rules are pretty straight forward. In most cases, no one will chime-in with a sample and they’ll usually tell you it’s a very personal thing and to not use generic reasoning. That’s not me telling you this; I got that advice recently when I asked the same questions you are asking. There are people out there that will help evaluate your statement, but will not give you any input as to content. I’m putting mine together currently and made a drastic mistake on my first attempt. I tried to make it personal and not professional. I know your family is the most important thing, but the people deciding your fate with the CCW, don’t care. They’re looking for something solid to justify issuing you your license. You must find yourself in a position of grave danger without any options of avoiding the situation. Example: security guards working a brinks truck. In their work, they MUST be in the truck and the truck must contain something valuable that the criminal element would like to have. If your job was to maintain the trucks after-hours, you wouldn’t find yourself in a compromising position. So, working for Brinks isn’t a “good cause”. A lot will depend on the authorizing authority in your area. Every Sheriff is different; some will issue with very little cause and some won’t issue at all. The following link will show you the breakdown by county in CA.

County Map for California CCW Issuance - CalCCW

Go on California Concealed Weapon (CCW) Forum for more assistance. This site is more specific for what you need and may guide you in your quest. Defensivecarry.com is great on a broader scale. If I find anything else, I’ll IM it to you.

Good luck. The more of us that try to thread through the system, the better off we are. The CCW folks were hoping Brown would sign the bill to ban “open carry” in CA. That would put more pressure on the Sheriff’s to accept the CCW agenda. We shall see.

Ciao, KC

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum from Virginia.

Just a couple of ideas, although I doubt they will work:

"I plan on becoming a movie star and wish to exercise the rights that the rich and famous have in CA."

If that doesn't work then you could try:

"I wish to exercise the same right's that the illegal aliens and gang bangers have."
    Roy McC, mare11257 and bigmacque like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I think Archer might be on to something................ I understand that both Boxer and Feinstein have carry permits; Pelosi too I would guess. Of course, the armed bodyguards are an added bonus. As elected politicians, their applications are automatically issued. The rest of the “unwashed masses” have to fight for everything. The rich and powerful do have some very nice perks.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudhopper View Post
    I think Archer might be on to something................ I understand that both Boxer and Feinstein have carry permits; Pelosi too I would guess. Of course, the armed bodyguards are an added bonus. As elected politicians, their applications are automatically issued. The rest of the “unwashed masses” have to fight for everything. The rich and powerful do have some very nice perks.
    They fall into the category “ I am an elected official and my life is more valuable than the people who elected me”.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

How about sending in a copy of your oath and high lite the part that says " that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic;" "which includes the second amendment.
    Wish I could help. Good luck to ya
    mare11257 likes this.

How about using the personal protection bit and add the crime rate for your area? Also state to refuse issue would be a violation of US Code title 42 chapter 21 subchapter I section 1983. I am no lawyer, but I would imagine that this law would have some merrit. Below is a link to the law. Good luck.

United States Code: Title 42,1983. Civil action for deprivation of rights | LII / Legal Information Institute

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Don’t know if they will accept this but “I want to have the ability to return home safely every night”.
    How about, the SCOTUS has ruled that the police have no obligation to protect individual citizens
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Links