Thanks!

Thanks!

This is a discussion on Thanks! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thank you all, I think the education I received from this forum allowed me to make good, informed choices the first time. Sometime last spring ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Thanks!

Thanks!

Thank you all, I think the education I received from this forum allowed me to make good, informed choices the first time.

Sometime last spring I posted a thread before I turned 21 about a good first carry weapon, I later documented the process I underwent to obtain my CCDW permit here in KY this past August. Ultimately I found a new Gen 4 Glock 23, 400 rds of practice ammo, a quick access safe for my apt and a soft case under the tree on Christmas morning .

I shot my new gun for the first time yesterday, I did pretty well but I definitely need to practice more. I think I was keeping about a 3 or 4 inch group, slow fire, off hand at 21 feet. I put 200 rounds of 165gr FMJ through it and a mag full of defensive ammo.

And finally, yesterday night I carried in public for the first time in a Galco King-Tuk holster at about 5 o' clock on a Blackhawk CQB rigger belt, the gun was loaded with 180gr Gold Dots- yes there was a round in the chamber. It was all wonderfully uneventful. I went to see a movie with a lady friend of mine and she was blissfully ignorant of the fact that I was carrying a weapon the whole time; she didn't see it, I didn't bring it up and nobody was the wiser. We saw Mission Impossible 4; I enjoyed it- big explosions, cool special effects, a SWEET BMW concept car and other... eye candy haha.

I thought the movie theater was a safe place for a first-time carry experience since it was dark and it was a wednesday ($5 shows all day ) so it wasn't very crowded. I need groceries so I'll probably do the traditional wal-mart walk tomorrow.

Ultimately I'm gonna need a smaller gun when the hot, muggy KY summer hits though I think. I'm thinking either a Walther PPS in 9mm since it's almost a small single-stack glock or possibly a S&W 642 or 442 in .38 special +p- though I've never been very good with wheel guns.

Anyway, Thanks! Probably wouldn't have figured everything out right without you guys.
    Ishmael likes this.

Isn't freedom great? It seems that you had a great time, while having the means to defend yourself. Congratulations!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Glad you're enjoying the RKBA...and a Glock-23 carries very well in the summer.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Glad you're enjoying the RKBA...and a Glock-23 carries very well in the summer.
    Hopefully I'll have lost about 30 pounds by summer, that way my shirts and pants will be a little looser and my love handles won't be pushing the grip out. We'll see, I'll be hitting the gym 5 days a week starting on Monday. I'm not really FAT per say but I have enough belly that an appendix holster would be uncomfortable.

Now my biggest irritation is that I can't carry on my university campus and I can't carry at work (airport).

Well done!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    You might not need another weapon but... might I suggest a Glock 36?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Congrats on the uneventful CC experience. Yeah, a single stack 9mm, or even the 642 makes the hot summer days much easier to carry with deep cover. I chose from the Kahr lineup for my single stack carry, but the Walther PPS has perked my interest on several occasions, just haven't found one in the GS when I was in the buying mood.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Congrats on the first outing. As for a summer gun......well any reason is a good reason to buy another gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    By the time really hot weather rolls around, you may be comfortable enough with what you have now to keep going with it. I carry my compact and full-size Glocks all year.

GM
    Very well done; congrats! Is not the U.S. a great country?
    Last edited by GM; January 6th, 2012 at 03:39 PM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Good Job, and sounds like a nice set up, I usually do not change much on the carry end for summer, all depends on where I am going and what I am doing....from Ky also... but is it not just an awesome feeling with that added bit of weight to your side, my brother once told me I was paranoid, cause I never leave home without a gun, smiled and asked what I had to be paranoid about, I have a gun ,,,, :-) Go Wildcats.....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Thats what were all,scratch that,some of us are here for.

You are welcome.

It is a great feeling knowing that if at anytime violence comes to call, you are prepared to deal with it swiftly. Hope that it never happens, but having preparations in place is just the best feeling in the world.

Stay safe and enjoy!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Welcome to CC.

I would spend the money on training rather than a new gun. You can never have enough training.
    Ishmael likes this.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by tomtsr View Post
    Welcome to CC.

I would spend the money on training rather than a new gun. You can never have enough training.
    I'm considering taking a class or two at TDI since I think it's only about 3 hours from here but those classes certainly aren't cheap. I know practice is necessary and there is no substitute for professional training but the father of a close friend of mine is a local LEO with a fair amount of property who offered to teach me what they teach the officers in his back yard and said he could get me into a shoot house if I wanted to learn more advanced stuff like clearing rooms (which I would almost certainly never do as a civilian).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links