weapons in cars in Nevada

This is a discussion on weapons in cars in Nevada within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, a bit of a background before the question. I work nights in a large facility here in reno. Our security is basically a glorrified ...

OK, a bit of a background before the question. I work nights in a large facility here in reno. Our security is basically a glorrified secretary so if there is a problem they call us. I got a call at about 2:00am about a strange car in the parking lot. I get in my truck (I park next to the Boiler room) and drive out there. As I pull up to a car parked sideways in the parkinglot our supervisor is also walking up. When I shine my flashlight into the car to check it out, there is and AR-15 in the front seat. I take a second look and it is an Airsoft, but the supervisor kinda starts freaking out a bit. I explain to him that it is a BB gun and he settles down. He does insist that you can't have a weapon on the company property!

OK, now the question.
    Since Nv. considers your car an extension of your home can an employer tell you you can't have a weapon in the car like that?? I have always been under the assumption that they can't say squat about it, just like it is legal to carry a loaded weapon in your car here.

any thoughts
    Chris

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Texas is a right to work state and a right to fire state and you can be fired without cause.

I can not carry on premises but the Texas law describes premises as the building and not any parking lots or streets so I am OK leaving my gun locked in my vehicle.

There are some employers that do prohibit weapons on their property, and yes they can do it in Texas.

There are a few states that will not allow employers to stop you and there are a few more that are trying to pass that law.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

VIP Member
    Chris,

It really has nothing to do with your car being an extension of your home, but like you said, it is legal to have a loaded weapon in your vehicle in Nevada, under the seat, in the glove box etc.

Private property is another matter! You risk loosing your job for violating company policy. Technically, a policy you agreed to when you accepted employment. All they can do is fire you though.

My company prohibits guns in your vehicle while parked on their property so I don't do it. I could park out in the street and walk I guess but then, I don't want to leave my weapon in the car out on the street! Oh well, it's a good job!

Here's a good reference for you: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Thumper; August 20th, 2006 at 06:21 PM.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Thumper is that your real license plate??
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

That pretty much goes along with what our instructor said during My CCW class. HE said, even if your employer does not allow you to carry at work, you can do it according to Nevada law. What you risk is being fired

Chris

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    When you are on private property, the owner sets the rules. So while you can carry a weapon in your car, your employer does have the right to say what comes on company property.
    And, just FYI. While carrying a weapon in a car is legal in Nevada, North Las Vegas has a city ordinance making it illegal (except with a CCW permit).

Links