CCW carrying wife flying to IL

This is a discussion on CCW carrying wife flying to IL within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is flying to Il to help our daughter drive to her new job in TX. She has her CC permit from FL. How ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: CCW carrying wife flying to IL

CCW carrying wife flying to IL

My wife is flying to Il to help our daughter drive to her new job in TX. She has her CC permit from FL. How can she legally get in Ruger LCR to IL? She wants to carry on the drive to TX.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Rayz View Post
    How can she legally get in Ruger LCR to IL?
    She can't. IL does not recognize any states Concealed Carry Permit, and doesn't issue any concealed carry permits for thier own residents. IL Residents that have a FOID card (Firearms Owner Identification Card) can carry a concealed weapon in a very limited way for only certain situations (eg: inaccessible, unloaded, broken down, and various in betweens see concealedcarry.org).

If she was just passing through IL on her way from point A to point B she could use the Interstate Firearms Law, but since IL is a destination, even though she will be going on from there, this will not apply.

In short, she can't CC her LCR to IL and be legal. Or OC for that matter either.
    lyz_grace and Anubis like this.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayz View Post
    My wife is flying to Il to help our daughter drive to her new job in TX. She has her CC permit from FL. How can she legally get in Ruger LCR to IL? She wants to carry on the drive to TX.
    Can't she have it cased and put it in checked luggage? Is she driving from IL to TX then? She should call IL and see what her options are for transporting it within IL.

She has two options...

#1. Jail...

#2. Jail...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Stay away from Illinois unless she has an (LEOSA) HR-218 permit!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Fly with it, once in IL keep it locked up unloaded until she gets out of state I believe is fine. That was the recommendation made to me for visiting my buddy's range in IL and I can find no legal reference to refute.

-424D57

Quote Originally Posted by 424D57 View Post
    Fly with it, once in IL keep it locked up unloaded until she gets out of state I believe is fine. That was the recommendation made to me for visiting my buddy's range in IL and I can find no legal reference to refute.

-424D57
    This is what I do. My entire family lives there and I go once a year or more.

sgb
    Have the wife fly into Indiana and the daughter pick her up there.
    jfnixon, tkruf, TN_Mike and 3 others like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I live 20 minutes from Illinois, bring a lock box put a trigger guard on the pistol, after you clear it, put it in the lock box then put that in the trunk, unload the magazine, put the rounds in a bag, then lock the magazine in the glove box/center console, everything has to be seperated Illinois just sucks, and they love throwing gun owners in jail and taking their firearm...when I travel I avoid Illinois unless I'm on my Harley
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Have the wife fly into Indiana and the daughter pick her up there.
    This would be the best choice. Depending on where in IL your daughter lives. Have the wife fly into South Bend or Indianapolis.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Passing through IL

I will guess that your wife will have her gun checked by TSA at her departure airport and it will be unloaded in a case and in her hold baggage while on her flight to Chicago. As long as she doesn't remove it from her suitcase once arriving in Chicago and departs with your daughter she should be OK. Just leave it in the suitcase and keep the suitcase in the trunk of the car until you have left the state. Then she can carry throught the states to TX, but check with the CCW laws in the states she will be passing through to make sure she follows each states laws correctly.
    Hopefully, Illinois will pass CCW this year and your wife will be able to protect herself and your daughter in the future as she should be able to. We're working hard to remove Illinois from the list as the last state where law abiding citizens have no form of carry to protect themselves.

e-mail response from 2008

You would be correct in that Illinois does not have a conceal and carry
    permit, nor do we recognize other states conceal and carry. In order to be
    legal in Illinois you must be legally eligible to possess or acquire
    firearms and ammunition in your state of residence. It is recommended
    that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents
    transport all firearms:
    1. Unloaded, and
    2. Enclosed in a case, and
    3. Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.

JoAnn Bubonic
    Illinois State Police
    Firearms Services Bureau
    Applications Section Manager
    217-782-4434
    Note:
    enclosed in a case does not require a lock
    unloaded means AMMO SEPARATE and not in the same case
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I called Illinois State Police before my trip up there in November. Pistol unloaded, in a case, not accessable. Said case doesn't need to be locked, ammo can be in same case. I was also told the ISP doesn't normally enforce the transport laws, they leave it up to local.(Not sure how much of that I believe) There can be different laws in each town/county. Some have stricter laws.
    As far as flying in, it may be very different. Call ISP and ask questions. Their website also has lots of info.

Stop in Bloomington/Normal and eat at Avanti's as you pass through.

I am firmly familiar with the People's Republic of Illinois. My wife used to call it "home".

Your firearm is not welcome, your permit is not recognized, your right to keep and bear arms is not part of Illinois law.

Avoid Illinois if possible when dealing with a handgun. Our recent trip to visit in-laws in Springfield resulted in being totally disarmed. Guns in trunk, unloaded, locked up, ammo in a separate container, locked up.

Like others if you could fly to Indiana that would be the best option.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Yup, basically she can transport a firearm under the Federal laws that cover firearm transportation, but that's it. There is no concealed carry options for Illinois residents so she must adhere to the Federal laws until she is out of the state. If she is going into Chicago, then she might have to consider the local statutes concerning possession of a pistol. I don't know enough about it to offer anything else other than to say be careful and double check everything with some 'official' source. City/State official websites or phone calls to the governing authorities.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links