CC at Work - Against Policy

This is a discussion on CC at Work - Against Policy within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work for a company with a policy that prohibits the carrying of weapons on company property. Probably not unlike most company policies. For the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: CC at Work - Against Policy

CC at Work - Against Policy

I work for a company with a policy that prohibits the carrying of weapons on company property. Probably not unlike most company policies. For the sake of completeness, here is the language that is in the policy:

". . . Also prohibited is the carrying of weapons (including, but not limited to firearms, swords, brass knuckles, and large knives, but excluding tools that are used in the normal course of business) onto Company property, regardless of whether the Employee possesses a concealed carry permit. . ."

I'm just curious as to how many of you would roll the dice and carry anyway, knowing that there was the potential to lose your job if you were caught. I acknowledge that the type of job and the job environment would certainly impact your decision (e.g. convenience store clerk vs. office worker), but I'm curious about people's opinion.

In my case, I work as an engineer for a technology company. I don't really feel the need to carry while I'm at the office. But there are times when working in remote areas (either alone or with a partner) where I would definitely prefer to be armed.

One of the things I considered was carrying in deep concealment, something like a SmartCarry. No way to ever get discovered in the normal course of business. But it would be my luck that I would get injured or have a heart attack at work and my secret would get revealed.

Times are tough and jobs are hard to come by. If caught and fired, might be very difficult to find another job. Especially if word got out as to why you were fired.

Opinions?
    Doc

2. Remove Ads

C.A.N.T. Carry always never tell....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I worked for my family's future, I was not going to gamble with my pension. I didn't like it, but that's what I had to do.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

It looks like your choices are C.A.N.T., or keep it locked in the car if legal in your state, or leave it at home.

In my case, I work as an engineer for a technology company. I don't really feel the need to carry while I'm at the office. But there are times when working in remote areas (either alone or with a partner) where I would definitely prefer to be armed.
    My employer has a similar policy. The policy does not cover the parking lot so I keep it in the car. If I leave the office to walk to Starbucks or the mall, I stop at my car first and retrieve my pistol on the way out/in.

VIP Member
    If you agreed to it when you accepted employment, then I would highly advise against it.

If by 'remote areas' you are talking about offsite areas not owned by the company, then you might have a loophole. If it's property owned by the company and you have safety concerns, then I'd bring those up with the management.

If you're concerned enough to risk your job to carry, then that's probably an indication that you need to find a new employer.
    MadMac likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DocPMD View Post
    I'm just curious as to how many of you would roll the dice and carry anyway, knowing that there was the potential to lose your job if you were caught. I acknowledge that the type of job and the job environment would certainly impact your decision (e.g. convenience store clerk vs. office worker), but I'm curious about people's opinion.
    If I truly believed I could always keep it concealed, and I felt the workplace might become hostile or dangerous at some point, I'd break company policy and carry. After all, what they don't know can't hurt them (at least in this case). You only have to look at the recent Kroger incident.

If you feel you might get searched, keep it inside a sealed, stamped, self-addressed, padded envelope. Not sure how well this works, but I've heard it mentioned before that it would be illegal for them to open and search your mail.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocPMD View Post
    I'm just curious as to how many of you would roll the dice and carry anyway
    I carry for one situation: that in which having a pistol saves my life. For me that consideration outweighed the risk of any disciplinary action. So I carried lawfully but violated corporate policy. Never had a problem. This was in an environment where there was never any hint of personal or vehicle searches for contraband, both of which I would have refused regardless of whether I was in violation with a pistol.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I work as a defense contractor, my truck has ben searced once in the last 26 years of work, but I am still unwilling to take the chance. Private guns are prohibited on mitilary reservations in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    I work as a defense contractor, my truck has ben searced once in the last 26 years of work, but I am still unwilling to take the chance. Private guns are prohibited on mitilary reservations in general.
    Do you work on a military installation? If so, you only had your truck searched once in 26 years even after 9/11? Just curious

You do what you gotta do. You weigh the odds, determine the risks, and pursue the appropriate course of action. Only you can determine what risks you want to endure.
    Or, see my sig.

Carry on.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    I work as a defense contractor, my truck has ben searched once in the last 26 years of work, but I am still unwilling to take the chance. Private guns are prohibited on mitilary reservations in general.
    Same here, At my place of work the police routinely search people and cars with bomb dogs and other means of detection.

Not just for guns, but also for edged weapons and ways of transporting media devisees.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I work at a financial institution that states in the employee manual that we cannot have any "unauthorized firearms". I take that to mean that unless I specifically ask upper management if I can carry, then my firearm is not authorized. However, since I am fairly certain that if I asked that question, the answer would be a big "hell no" followed by a random search of office, so I refrain from asking.

But, I have pocket carried every day at work since obtaining my ccw, and I will continue to do so because as I see it there are two outcomes: a) I never need it, and no one will ever search my pockets, so none the wiser. b) I end up needing it, it saves my life to have it, and I lose my job... Either situation I am perfectly okay with. I would be a lot more pissed if I needed it and didn't have it than if I have it and never need it.

just my $.02

P.s. - I am not of the mindset that I will now be able to "stop robberies!!! yay!! i'm a hero!!"... they can have the money, it is not mine for one, two it is insured, and three I personally do not consider things/objects/valuables to be worth someone's life...

However, there are two more likely scenario's that I would in fact need my firearm. For example, if I deny a customer for a loan who is mentally disabled, or desperate and they decide it is my fault and decide to come back to take out their anger with their dad's revolver... Or if we ARE robbed but that robber decides to start taking out witnesses instead of just getting money and getting out, and it goes from robbery to massacre. In both cases I would gladly give up my job to save my life, or the life of my co-workers/friends.
    jerp and Spec like this.

Wisconsin state law states that a company/corporation that states employees cannot posses a weapon at work, cannot stop an employee from keeping it in their vehicle. However a memo came out from the company stating that an employee "cannot posses a firearm in their vehicle, in a company vehicle, or on their person when off "campus"/company property when on business" ok so i can understand the company vehicle and i can sort of understand the off company property when on business. However, I keep it in my vehicle, and luckily work next to my vehicle (with in 50ft) every day. They might be a company with what they state as "rules", pretty sure the state law trumps "company policy" and tes i might be breaking company policy, but when state law states that they cannot stop a peraon from possessing a weapon in their own vehicle, then i will take my chances. And in the extrem unlikely chance they somehow find it in my vehicle and fire me for it. You can bet they will be hearing from my lawyer. I would carry it on me as i do not work on "campus"/company property, but i am in a compqny vehicle. If the need ever for the time comes that i need it, this company vehicle moves pretty fast and provides adequate cover, to get to my vehicle. And my SA is on the peak when at work as its not the "ideal" area to work.
    The point here is, look up the state laws, learn and study them, then look at company policy, im sure u can find somewhat of a loop hole as i did.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

I have pondered this a lot lately as well. In fact, I started a thread on it several months ago. That being said, I have slightly changed my outlook in light of certain recent events.

My company has similar wording in their employee handbook. About 60% of the time I feel just fine working in my office, but the other 40% of the time I am working late in my office, late at a remote site, or in an unfamiliar area (of my own state or even a few other states as of late). Thats the part that has changed for me. It used to be 8a-5p 100% at my office. There have been robberies at several of the remote offices, mostly unarmed (that we are aware of anyway - but you never know), and several robberies of local businesses around these remote company sites. Also, instead of leaving before 630p every day, some days I work as late as 1am the next morning. All those factors considered, I have started carrying 100% of the time (where it is legal - we have a couple offices in NY state that I don't carry while visiting - there are several articles lately on law abiding citizens being prosecuted in NY for carrying there). Is it against company policy? Yes. Is it illegal? No. I have come to the conclusion that it is worth the risk should I ever need it. And my method of carry is such that I would have to be nearly strip searched before any CCW is found on my person, which no one at my office has the authority to do. As others have stated, it is up to YOU to know the company policy, any applicable state laws, and then make your own determination. My job is not worth my life. If need be, I will find another job.

OpJ

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    As hard as jobs are to come by these days, I wouldn't risk it. I'd hate to tell the kids we have to move out of the house because Daddy felt he just had to carry a gun to work and got caught. I don't know what CO law says, but in FL, except under limited circumstances (defense, aerospace companies, Federally prohibited areas, etc.), a business cannot prohibit storing a firearm in a private vehicle. A comapny that does so faces civil charges. Maybe CO needs a similar law.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links