CCW Tomorrow

CCW Tomorrow

This is a discussion on CCW Tomorrow within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all... I am taking the CCW here in Ohio tomorrow morning. Question being.. I got this new Glock 23 for Christmas and haven't fired ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW Tomorrow

CCW Tomorrow

Hey all... I am taking the CCW here in Ohio tomorrow morning. Question being.. I got this new Glock 23 for Christmas and haven't fired a round through it. I was planning on practicing for a few weeks before taking the class but they just called and had a cancellation so I jumped on it. I am now debating do I go ahead and take my new 23 or just take my MkII 22 and just pass the course. I use to shoot loads of 9mm and 44 mag and reloaded for both for many years but it has been about 10 years since then. Thanks for the advice and wish me well for tomorrow...butterflies a swarmin but so excited to get this class over with and apply for my permit. I got my holster and books by Ayoob, Farnham and Cooper today via UPS so ready to shoot and read and shoot some more :)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't know what your course allows, but why not take both. Explain to the instructor that you'd like to try the Glock but have your .22 as a fall back.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Unless there is some reason to qualify with the firearm you plan to carry, then I'd say stick with the known variable, or like OldVet said, take 'em both. The only reason I'd say don't bother with it, is you'll be shooting under 'test' circumstances. No reason to add any stress that you don't need. If it's anything like the qualifying tests I've had to do, you won't really be enjoying the shooting part anyway, and if there happens to be some sort of new gun problem, then you've just got that on your mind with no real benefit.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't know what your course allows, but why not take both. Explain to the instructor that you'd like to try the Glock but have your .22 as a fall back.
    Yup - good advice. Besides, it's a rare Glock that doesn't shoot straight, right out of the box.

Good luck with your class! Good advice above, can't elaborate any, just relax and do what you've got to do.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

.22 is cheaper to shoot and you still qualify, then again you only have to shoot from 21 feet
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

VIP Member
    The range qualification isn't that tough, provided the instructors follow NRA guidelines. Three five round groups within a nine-inch circle from fifteen feet from a benchrest position and standing two-handed position are required to successfully qualify for the NRA Basic Pistol Course certificate of completion required to apply for the Ohio CHL. Such a qualification is going to be much easier with your tack-driving MkII than with a DAO .40 cal you have never fired before.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunguy82 View Post
    .22 is cheaper to shoot and you still qualify, then again you only have to shoot from 21 feet
    Fifteen feet.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I agree with the guys saying to take both. Tonight unload your Glock, check to make sure it is unloaded, leave your ammo and walk into a different room, check to make sure your Glock is unloaded. Now point in and squeeze off a few empty chamber clicks, get familiar with your new friend. Have fun.

I took a class some years back, Introduction to Concealed Carry, which included about 45 min on the range. One guy was having so much trouble shooting a group at 21 ft the instructor asked to shoot the gun. After he had shot a nice three round group he put it back on the bench and said, 'nope it's not the gun.'

As Mike pointed out, the NRA basic course of fire isn't all that strenuous, I'd take both, but shoot the .22. Depending on your class size and instructor, there very well may be time for you to shoot both (2 hours range time is what it should be). I am sure that you will do fine. Just remember to train after your course, on a regular basis.

Also, remember that in Ohio you can apply in the county you live in, or any adjacent county. See if your instructor has any info on wait times for the surrounding counties, or how much of a hassle it is to apply in them, in order to expedite the process.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I would probably just take the .22 and make it simple. My instructor didn't even allow us to bring our own weapons. We just used the provided .22s. Remember, you'll like be there with many other people, some of whom may not have even fired a gun before. You'll have plenty to think about without trying out the new gun. I'm sure you'd do fine with the Glock, but you can try it out any other day when your aren't on the clock and surrounded by newbies who just learned how shoot.

Thanks for all the advice... I will take both and just see how it works out...Really want to shoot my Glock but very familiar with the Ruger. Of course it is almost cheating using the 22 but a lot of courses I looked into that is what they use. I will update tomorrow night after I get back home

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Wow it's hard to give any advice since you have gotten great advice allready. I too would take both but use the .22 to qualify and maybe just maybe once you qualify your instructor will let you squeeze a few rnds of .40 off. Good luck.

Well, we would all like to know how it went.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Agreed. Fill us in about your day of victory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links