Right totally violated

This is a discussion on Right totally violated within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by msgt/ret Not me, my passport expired years ago so I no longer go north of Virginia. What's north of Virginia???...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Right totally violated

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Not me, my passport expired years ago so I no longer go north of Virginia.
    What's north of Virginia???
    Tzadik likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Unfortunately, lots of states have no training requirement and lots of others don't get into the reciprocity stuff as part of the course. Unwitting, ignorant, and naive about all the variations on state law may have nothing whatsoever to do with the person's overall level of competence and safe handling ability. Plenty of licensed gun-toters never set an eye on this site or anything else educational after they get their permit. That's just the way it is. And if anyone dares suggest more mandated training, well--- you know what half our participants will start to chant.
    When "gun control" is the topic, frequently people attempt to draw a parallel between "gun rights" and "car rights." (My disclaimer - the two are not parallel.) What I'm missing is how driving privileges became reciprocal among the States, when licensing requirements varied so dramatically from State to State. As an example, I had to wait to age 17 to get my driver's license in New Jersey, but I had a friend in Texas who proudly showed me his TX license when he was 14 (circa 1965)! Training requirements vary, as do driving laws (e.g., passing on the right is a big no-no in the northeast but is perfectly legal in a number of western states). With 49 states now having some statutory availability of CCW permits, I am drawn to wonder how on earth driving privileges became in fact reciprocal among States without specific action at the Federal level. Can anyone here add some factual enlightenment (not mere conjecture)?
    Hopyard and Speculator like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    When "gun control" is the topic, frequently people attempt to draw a parallel between "gun rights" and "car rights." (My disclaimer - the two are not parallel.) What I'm missing is how driving privileges became reciprocal among the States, when licensing requirements varied so dramatically from State to State. As an example, I had to wait to age 17 to get my driver's license in New Jersey, but I had a friend in Texas who proudly showed me his TX license when he was 14 (circa 1965)! Training requirements vary, as do driving laws (e.g., passing on the right is a big no-no in the northeast but is perfectly legal in a number of western states). With 49 states now having some statutory availability of CCW permits, I am drawn to wonder how on earth driving privileges became in fact reciprocal among States without specific action at the Federal level. Can anyone here add some factual enlightenment (not mere conjecture)?
    I have looked for this sort of information myself but I haven't found any sort of conclusive timeline. I believe that the reciprocity basically evolved in each state's laws over time, just as the driver's license evolved from state to state. I couldn't find any federal involvement or mandates, but if there is any information out there, I'd love to see it as well.

I feel for you but you should have known that NYC is hell for CWL holders. Their handgun ban is really controling crime in NYC-what a farce !

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    What's north of Virginia???
    The Mason Dixon, do not cross zone for God fearing Southern Gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    The Mason Dixon, do not cross zone for God fearing Southern Gentlemen.
    Mason Dixon line runs through Southern part of NJ.

VIP Member
    The Mason/Dixon Line actually separates Pennsylvania and Maryland and Delaware.

mason dixon line map and information
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    Mason Dixon line runs through Southern part of NJ.
    Except it turns south at the Maryland/Delaware state line.mason dixon line map and information

Mississippi river is the eastern border.

I will not malign those states east of it, but you'll not catch me there. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by nam View Post
    first a lady visiting the ground zero site, than a marine in nyc, now this guy who's next???????
    not me that's for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First, fight the charges . Did you have ammo in the gun ? Because you can transport legally thru New York... if encased (you had it even locked ) and separated from ammo...... plus several have been getting the charges "dismissed" with good council.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Driver License Compact - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some light reading about driving out of state.
    gasmitty and Speculator like this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKFENE View Post
    Hello guys glockfene here,
    i thought gettting my permit was the best day right after my daughters being born, even though it's our right to bare arms, i reside in georgia, i went on a road trip to see family in new york packed trunk and was off to see the family get get to ny and get stopped by ny finest, he asked me to step out the car, while his buddy (illeagally) searched my car (me forgetting) gun was in trunk, gop finds 1 round in the ash tray "sir is there a gun in the car" my heart sunk i responded yes in my trunk lock up in a book bag with a pad lock on the book bag they retrieved the glock 23 unloaded fire arm cuff me and carried me off to the slammer (im licensed by ga by the way) i get my right read to me "behind bars" glock taken by ny finest i get charged with a misdemeanor in the 4th so now i have a record... From the age of 0 to 34years of age i get arrested 3 day after my 35th birthday dec. 4th. So with this charge, can i still carry being that it wasn't a violent felony but a misdemeanor in the 4th.
    Why did they search the car, were you stopped for something? I never heard of NY State Police just stopping and searching a car for the hell of it, they tend to be very professional. I had a NY trooper in the family. Sounds like something was off for a stop to begin with. It had to be, they need probable cause and they're not stupid - they would be fired for ignoring that, after being brought up on State charges.

Far as the law, well it's the law, like it/not like it: and you don't have a "right" to violate the Laws due to disagreement with them. But I'm sure more it was you just didn't know the laws of the states you were in; that's a must. Not just for firearms, anything, right-on-red, alcohol and driving, anything...

So sorry, hope you can continue to Carry, but - sorry - don't know Georgia's regulations regarding permits. Permit Office sounds like best place to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I sure hope when you talk to your anti friends that you word it better. 2nd A advocates are always telling people that folks that carry are responsible citizens who take their gun safety and laws seriously. And we are the first to defend them by saying the law isn't just. It ain't just but it sure the heck is well published or more so than different driving laws in different states. We have people walking through airports with guns in their carry ons and they say "oops, forgot it was in there". How on earth are you suppose to be a responsible gun owner when ya don't know where it is? I hate the laws as much as anybody else, but good grief..how many times does this happen? Look, the laws need to change and until then they should get a fine. But I can't honestly tell people that these folks are responsible gun owners when the only thing I know about them are in the news and it is when they screw up. This gentleman from I could gather said "his heart dropped". That sounds like he either knew it was wrong or two, he forgot about it. I have trouble believing the story anyway because he said it was in a locked bag. But that is neither here nor there.
    I think this is a very good post. Law-abiding people rarely agree with every law that's been written, but OBEY them and work towards any change through the many ways open to citizens to influence legislators, including Voting in elections.

The BEST way to show others we are just like everyone else who is law-abiding is to be law-abiding.

In the airport near where I live someone walked in with one of those pocket guns so popular now - and I believe went through the scanner with a LOADED GUN. He initially was charged with all sorts of felonies, Federal as well as State. Eventually he was given lesser treatment, but I mean, c'mon...... FORGETTING you're walking into security with a loaded gun? Very poor example for the rest of us.

Anyway, +1 on Suntzu's post.

Quote Originally Posted by Nam View Post
    First a lady visiting the Ground Zero site, than a marine in NYC, now this guy Who's next???????
    I can't agree with what I think is the thrust of this. Whether one agrees or not with any area's laws including one's own they are the law and applied by the people who's job it is to apply them: police. That 3 people were violating NYC and NY State Law and were arrested is not Nazi Germany. If all 3 were due to ignorance I can guarantee you that none will end up in prison or with Felony convictions. But this is not the level - Law Enforcement - it will "get reduced to nominal" from - it is at the level of the DA who CHOOSES who to prosecute and who to "make an arrangement" for. A police officer is not in a position to "wave off" someone illegally carrying a loaded gun - especially in Manhattan:

You also have to keep in mind in NYC there is a necessary and co-joining element with any firearms found on a person: security with regard to terrorism. And if you weren't at Ground Zero before it was a Memorial but a working site for body-recovery, you can't really appreciate that, (but I can), or the effect on security of scores of plans uncovered for similar outcomes.

You can feel for anyone running afoul of another area's laws and want them to get out of it easily, you can also not agree with any law and work to change it, but just because it has to do with guns doesn't mean Nazis and the Gestapo have to be the next logical leap in an assignation of "blame".

As to the OP: he was given a 4th Degree Misdemeanor, the lowest of the low, not beaten about the head and ordered Executed Friday morning next. And I would swear there is something left out for the car being searched to begin with. It is unheard of with NY State Police - or most probably any State's Police to violate "probable cause" for a passing car - as well as just stupid so it would be highly unusual. That is something you hear of in a tiny village someplace (usually to the detriment of the village).
    Last edited by walleye; January 8th, 2012 at 09:26 AM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links