Threaded VS . non-threaded barrel for concealed carry

This is a discussion on Threaded VS . non-threaded barrel for concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Supressors are legal here. I don't have one and probably won't get one. If I do, it'll be on a rifle, probably a .300 Whisper, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Threaded VS . non-threaded barrel for concealed carry

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Supressors are legal here. I don't have one and probably won't get one. If I do, it'll be on a rifle, probably a .300 Whisper, for hunting.

That said, my concealed carry guns are optimized for exactly that, concealed carry. They don't have anything on them they don't need for that mission including threaded barrels. If you want the gun, by all means buy it. I have several handguns I don't carry just because I wanted them. You could carry it, but the threads will not be an improvement for carry purposes and could hang up on something. Might be possible to thread a cap on it, but that adds a chance for something to fail or fall off and if Murphy is paying attention, it will happen at the worst possible time. KISS definitely applies to carry guns.

I would never consider carrying a supressed pistol. Near as I can tell, there is no point to it for a civillian. No advantage never mind one that offsets the 6" to 8" of extra length and the necessity to use subsonic (wimpy) ammunition of the supressor is to do any good. So plan B is to carry it with the supressor in a pocket? Not a good plan. If one has time to screw the supressor on, one has time to get out of Dodge. Unlike LEO's who move toward danger, I plan to go the other way and avoid a gunfight if at all possible. If I'm really really unlucky there may come a time I can't avoid one, in which case I want to make a lot of noise so if there is more than one of them, they decide to go find a more suitable victim. I'll worry about the effect on my tinnitius later.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

2. Remove Ads

Threaded barrels are not only for suppression devices.

You can also get lowrofile recoil compensator. That if low profile may allow you to make quicker follow up shots.

I realize threaded barrel = suppressor but just want to add the other aspect in there.

I have a Sig p229 Scorpion with threaded barrel. Only one I could find so I bought it. I spent the money and replaced the threaded barrel with a Sig factory standard barrel. The problem with carrying with the threaded barrel is that he barrel sticks out of my holsters which are not cheap universal ones but molded to my guns so the barrel sticks out and jabs me in my hip. I can carry it IWB with the King Tuk or the Crossbreed because the extra leather will protect my hip but since I mostly carry OWB I changed the barrel and now it is fine.

So many people around here think I am nuts for carrying big Sigs but I am 61 and used to all metal guns with hammers with DA/SA triggers. I am 6' 240 lbs so carrying the Sigs is not a problem for me. In some strage way they are more comfortable than my lighter guns.With a good holster and belt the weight is not a problem for me. For some reason smaller guns tend to dig into me more. Sigs just fit be perfectly and since I never did get used to polymer guns the hefty solid Sigs give me confidence. I feel like a have a weapon in my hand and not just a plastic device that can shoot bullets. Just what I am used to .

I wouldn't walk around with a suppressor either, but there's nothing wrong with trying to protect your hearing (if time permits while waiting for LEO's) while defending yourself in your home/car as most use their carry weapon at home, even if just to get to a long gun. I'd hardly call 9mm/147, 40SW/180, 45/230 wimpy loads. Threads are standard so caps are easy to come by, if not provided.

I do on occasion. Makes no difference to me. The added velocity from that extra inch can't hurt. I usually carry outside the waistband and it's never been a problem. I'm more concerned with damaging my threads than anything else if I don't have the thread protector on it.

The Glock is my daily carry though I carry the M&P a few times a month.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I'm ordering a LW .40 to 9mm conversion barrel for my G23 and plan on getting the threaded version for use with a suppressor. The gun will be CC'ed with the .40 S&W barrel primarily though. I don't see a problem carrying with a threaded barrel if law permits and it doesn't interfere with comfort/holster design.

New Member Array AmericanEagles's Avatar

Threaded Barrel & CHL

I have a Sig Sauer P226 with a threaded barrel. I will be taking my CHL class soon, and plan on using it for the class. I went to a gun show, and someone asked me if I was going to use it for concealed carry, and I looked at him and said yeah, is that a problem? Is there a law that states you can't have a threaded barrel on your concealed weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by Sigsi Paige View Post
    There is no worry regarding LEO reactions - although that is a good question.

I have had my eye on a Sig Sauer Tacops Carry 1911. Most of them come with threaded barrel - although it is possible to buy without.
    It caused me to ask the question - as more states allow for suppressors - would others be willing to conceal carry a threaded barrel?

Attached are pics of the Sig Tacops Carry 1911.

New Member Array AmericanEagles's Avatar
    I have a Sig Sauer P226 with a threaded barrel. I will be taking my CHL class soon, and plan on using it for the class. I went to a gun show, and someone asked me if I was going to use it for concealed carry, and I looked at him and said yeah, is that a problem? Is there a law that states you can't have a threaded barrel on your concealed weapon?
    Last edited by AmericanEagles; November 24th, 2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Legal question

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Since I posted in this thread, I've purchased a gun with a threaded barrel. An FNX45T.

I also did some research on ammunition. When I posted before I had looked at rifle ammo and decided it was pretty wimpy compared to standard rifle ammo. That conclusion stands.

However, suppressor suitable semi-auto handgun ammo in 9mm and .45ACP isn't wimpy at all. .45ACP ammo is subsonic out of the box at 850 to 950 fps. That's full power ammo that flies less than the speed of sound, so no sonic crack. 147g 9mm ammo can be loaded subsonic and still be useful, but 158g hard cast lead semi-wad cutter hollow point can be loaded in 9mm at full power and be subsonic. One has to reload to get it, I've not found it for sale, but it can be done. A buddy of mine has a suppressed Glock with a Wolf barrel on it that has conventional rifling. He has loaded some. It works really well.

That said, I have no plans to spend the bux to put a suppressor on the FNX any time soon.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I personally have no need for it, but then again I'm not 007 either
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    When I had one, I carried a USP Tactical concealed. Why? Because it came with one.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Administrator
    I got stuck on trying to answer the why.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    A threaded barrel is used for two things: suppressors and compensators/brakes. Neither of those two things are really meant for concealed EDC, so no, there's no reason to keep a threaded barrel on a carry gun, unless you have something like a Walther PPQ First Edition that comes with the threaded barrel, and you don't want to drop another $300 on a spare non-threaded barrel, and that's your primary carry pistol.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

If the pistol I REALLY wanted only came with one I'd get it . Then I'd take it over to the guys who make my long range competition barrels and have them cut it off and recrown it. To me its totally useless.

Here is a question for carrying either: say you have a pistol that CAN have a threaded barrel, but you currently carry an unthreaded barrel and plan on putting one in later/swapping occassionally. Will a custom kydex OWB holster (or IWB) that has the option for a threaded barrel selected still retain your firearm sufficiently when you have a non-threaded barrel?

Edit: also goes for suppressor sights - I don't have them now so will it affect a holster that is made for a threaded barrel and suppressor sights?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links