Threaded VS . non-threaded barrel for concealed carry

This is a discussion on Threaded VS . non-threaded barrel for concealed carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would you or Do you carry with a threaded barrel? Why or Why not?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Threaded VS . non-threaded barrel for concealed carry

Threaded VS . non-threaded barrel for concealed carry

Would you or Do you carry with a threaded barrel?
    Why or Why not?
    ~ Sigsi Paige

2. Remove Ads

Suppressors are illegal here, so threaded barrels are of no use to me. If you get one, make sure it has a cap. Or maybe they come standard.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Unless and until I get a suppressor that mounts onto a threaded barrel, I have zero need for same.

Further - in the interest of concealability, a suppressor is the last thing I need. Considering the bulk it adds, as well as similar legal requirements, I'd sooner step up to a short-barrelled rifle.
    kreinert6 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I don't have a suppressor. nor do I intend to get one. So for me there is no reason to buy s gun with a threaded barrel.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Actually I am buying a suppressor hopefully soon for my m&P's. So looking for a threaded barrel soon is next up. As far as carrying.....sure. it doesn t add that much to the gun and I'm not going to carry a suppressor so yea I would and will!

No. If I had a pistol with a threaded barrel, I'd get a can for it, and then I probably wouldn't be CC'ing it.

So, I have no need for a threaded barrel currently, and wouldn't want to risk damaging threads with daily use if it did (I do realize they make caps to cover them).
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

If my carry weapon had a threaded barrel I can see no reason for not carrying it. May I ask the reason for the question? Maybe worried about possible LEO reactions to a threaded barrel?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    If my carry weapon had a threaded barrel I can see no reason for not carrying it. May I ask the reason for the question? Maybe worried about possible LEO reactions to a threaded barrel?

Michael
    There is no worry regarding LEO reactions - although that is a good question.

I have had my eye on a Sig Sauer Tacops Carry 1911. Most of them come with threaded barrel - although it is possible to buy without.
    It caused me to ask the question - as more states allow for suppressors - would others be willing to conceal carry a threaded barrel?

Attached are pics of the Sig Tacops Carry 1911.
    Attached Images
    ~ Sigsi Paige

It would not help me in my cc carry. A suppressor would make my EDC harder to conceal.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Threaded or non threaded really does not make any difference as far as overall carry it adds what a 1/2 inch to the overall length but other than that has no up or downside to it.

Some models only come with a threaded barrel and the buyer may never have the intention of owning a suppressor they just happen to like the model. I own an M&P .45with a threaded barrel but it never leaves the house except for the range and back to the beside the bed the threaded barrel simply gives an option of a suppressor.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Lead Moderator
    If I got a really great deal on a weapon that came with a threaded barrel I guess I would buy it. I sure wouldn't go out of my way to get a threaded barrel for a weapon used primarily for CC, for most of the reasons stated above.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    I've done it.
    I've got a Sig 226 with a threaded barrel that I took in on a trade.
    Occasionally I'll put a can on it and shoot it.

I always put the thread protector on it though just to protect the threads. I've had to clean up threads on others guns that were dropped or banged against something.Those threads are pretty fine and cant stand much abuse.

I don't really make a habit of carrying the Sig with the thread barrel unless its convenient to do so.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If the extra half-inch doesn't affect concealment, why not?
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It doesn't make a difference afa carrying. I got a LW conversion barrel for my G23 and got the threaded version b/c it's 1/10 the cost to buy it threaded vs have it threaded later on (if even possible).

VIP Member
    Maybe not what the OP was talking about, maybe it is. I seem to recall that CA has a law against threaded barrels. It became an issue with the P22 which is designed for interchangeable barrels, if I remember correctly; and that problem had nothing to do with suppressors.

I think the OP needs to clear up why he asked the question. I see he is from the NW. Does the question have something to do with traveling into CA?

Or, maybe my memory is all off and I have no clue what I'm talking about. Not really sure.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links