Etiquette: Concealed Carry in friends, or F of F's house and vice-versa

This is a discussion on Etiquette: Concealed Carry in friends, or F of F's house and vice-versa within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a thought: What is your position on concealed carry into another person's house? As a matter of taste, or etiquette... when you go to ...

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: Etiquette: Concealed Carry in friends, or F of F's house and vice-versa

Etiquette: Concealed Carry in friends, or F of F's house and vice-versa

Just a thought: What is your position on concealed carry into another person's house?

As a matter of taste, or etiquette... when you go to another persons house, and they request that you take your shoes off before you enter, most of us would do it. Also... if you were having friends over and you wanted them to take their shoes off you would expect them to do so as well.

So, considering that concealed carry, or private ownership of handguns in general, can be a fairly passionate topic depending on the individual, what should one do when carrying concealed into another persons home? Do you tell them? Do you not tell them? Would you want someone coming into your home carrying concealed without telling you?

The easy answer would be "well... most of my friends carry as well so it's not a problem". Or "All my friends already know I carry so it's not an issue".

So lets make it a little more difficult. Lets say a coworker, or one of your wife's coworkers, or a friend of a friend, has invited you, and the rest of the office, to come over for Super Bowl, and for whatever reason you've decided to go, and the host doesn't know you're a concealed carrier. And let say, for argument, that you don't know the hosts position on 2A, firearms, or concealed carry.

Do you tell? Do you not tell? And what if you were the host of a party and your wife invited "some friends from work" (or whatever) and lets say you notice the husband of one of your wife's coworkers printing over the punch bowl. What would your response be? Or would you even care?

I'm just curious
    Kadelic likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I dont tell. Its non of their beez-wax whats in my purse or on my body. :)

I carry and I do not disclose or otherwise discuss. There is simply no reason to.

If I saw someone else "printing" I would discretely tell them to tighten it up.

VIP Member
    Personally, I see no reason to say anything to them. Concealed means that you really shouldn't have an issue since they aren't going to see it anyway. If I knew they were rigid anti-gun folks, I just wouldn't go at all and if they happened to have some 'gunbuster' sign up at their house, I'd just turn around and leave.

A concealed carry firearm is kinda like a condom in your wallet; unless you need it, you shouldn't be pulling it out and showing it off and if you do happen to need it, you'll be very thankful it was there.

As to someone carrying in my home? I could care less as long as they are observing my philosophy above.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I respect the known wishes of others (e.g. my in-laws). I don't perceive myself as having any right to enter somebody's residence with a concealed pistol knowing they would not want that.
    OldVet, Tzadik, mcp1810 and 3 others like this.

Don't ask, Don't tell. What they don't know, can't hurt them. But not carrying can get you all killed.
    SIGguy229 and ep1953 like this.

Never tell, period. It might be their house but its none of their business what is in my pockets. If by some mistake of mine they find out and want me to leave, I am OK with that.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    I dont tell. Its non of their beez-wax whats in my purse or on my body. :)
    Pretty much where I stand...(I don't carry in a purse )

A few know I carry, and don't make it an issue. Many more DON'T know I carry, and its not an issue.

If you act like a buffoon with your gun--THAT'S what makes people uneasy and they don't want you (or your gun) in their house.

If it's friends of friends...I definitely don't ask for permission (unless required by law...I think Arkansas or South Carolina requires such a thing)...

In your scenario, they don't know me, I don't know them....so all is well...I keep it concealed and carry on with my life.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I don't perceive myself as having any right to enter somebody's residence with a concealed pistol knowing they would not want that.
    What if you don't know?

My family (Mom, Sisters & their spouses) all know I carry. Mom did not think it was a big deal. Both sisters & their spouses went bat-poop crazy about having it in their homes. One sister & I reached an agreement that allows me to carry in her house but no ammo in the weapon (two mags on the belt & one in the pocket though.) The other sister (the one whose husband introduced me to firearms when I was a little kid) won't let me carry in her home. I do not go to her home for more than 10 minutes at a time as a result.

If I had never said a word, nobody would have ever got their panties in a bunch over it. Nobody would have cared because nobody would have known. The irony is that I figured the family that has a hunter as head of household would have been cool about it. Nope... This is the guy that put the first handgun, shotgun & rifle in my hands. He has several guns in the house. He was the first to take me hunting. He got my mom to buy me my Mossberg 500c when I was in Jr. High School as a birthday present even though Dad was against it. He often asks me about guns and defers to my judgement on anything handgun related or legal related to gun laws, yet I can not carry in their home.

If you KNOW the residence you are about to enter is very anti gun, do not go in or disarm. If you have never talked about it with them do not bring it up. If they bring it up you have a choice to make. Just make sure your concealment is tight!
    SIGguy229 and beararms like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

It's not something that's up for discussion...most would not know.
    I have one sister who is scared to death of guns, but would never ask me anything about being armed...she knows I am.
    She saw a firearm in the car and got upset. She still never asked if I brought that 'thing' into her house. No gun, no visit (she lives a few blocks outside of Detroit.)...
    9MMare and JerryMac like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree with what pretty much everyone said. I wouldn't mention it to anyone, if the homeowner somehow finds out and wants me to leave that is fine with me.
    PatAz and 9MMare like this.

I don't tell, concealed means concealed. The only way they would find out is if I had to use it. I was just at a coworkers house last night for a BBQ and no one there had any clue that I was carrying.
    JerryMac likes this.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I respect the known wishes of others (e.g. my in-laws). I don't perceive myself as having any right to enter somebody's residence with a concealed pistol knowing they would not want that.
    I am an avid gun carrier but I have to go with Chad on this one. I do have a very good friend and other than his and his wife's politics I think the world of them. I do not carry in their house. I do however, carry to their house and then leave my ccw locked securely in my car until my visit is over.
    Tzadik likes this.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

I don't think the removing shoes example is comparable to your question or scenario. When a host is expecting guest, they would assume that you are wearing some type of foot wear. Therefore, they would ask to have your shoes removed prior to entering, for whatever reason.

It is unlikely that the host would assume that the guests would be carrying a firearm or other weapons; therefore, I would not disclose that I am carrying. Who knows what might end up happening inside their home, right? You gotta be prepared to defend yourself at all times. So, unless they ask me to "remove" my firearm before entering their home, I'm not even thinking about it. I would just enter as normal and enjoy their hospitality.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Links