Avoiding "No Firearms Allowed" Businesses

This is a discussion on Avoiding "No Firearms Allowed" Businesses within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had my ccw permit for a little over 2 years. During that time I have noticed several businesses that I used to frequent ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Avoiding "No Firearms Allowed" Businesses

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

I have had my ccw permit for a little over 2 years. During that time I have noticed several businesses that I used to frequent now banning firearms in their establishment. I now boycott those establishments by taking my business where that is not the case. I have also told owners and managers why I have stopped patronizing their businesses. Has anyone else done the same?
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I'm always carrying, so when I see the sign I just turn around and go somewhere else. Really don't have any other choice in Tennessee.
    Toorop likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

I don't see any reason to tell the business owners that you won't be shopping there any more. They have already put up a sign telling you that they don't want your business and that they are completely willing to not have your business.

So let's ask, has anyone every changed a business owner's no-gun policy by telling the business owner that they won't shop at that business any more due to the business owner's posting a no-guns sign? Not that I have ever heard of.
    wmhawth and CORattler like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    I'm always carrying, so when I see the sign I just turn around and go somewhere else. Really don't have any other choice in Tennessee.
    Yep, the only exception for me is a mall in South East TN, it has MANY loop holes, it has signs but only on the main mall entrance, not individual externally accessed stores like Sears and so forth. If you go from one of the shops into the main mall there are no signs also, only on the outside of the main entrances, so I'll use my lawyer to back me up if they wanna try some BS.

Other than that in TN I turn my butt around when I see no firearm signs, in AL on the other hand I laugh and continue on my way. Unless it's a state or government run place or building the signs hold no law in AL.
    Guest1 likes this.

I never patronize any place the boycotts my right to carry

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    [QUOTE=marcclarke;2127538]I don't see any reason to tell the business owners that you won't be shopping there any more. They have already put up a sign telling you that they don't want your business and that they are completely willing to not have your business.

So let's ask, has anyone every changed a business owner's no-gun policy by telling the business owner that they won't shop at that business any more due to the business owner's posting a no-guns sign? Not that I have ever heard of.[/QUOTE

I also like excercising my 1st amendment along with my 2nd.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

I have also told owners and managers why I have stopped patronizing their businesses.
    Why bother? Those businesses are usually in competition with others for your patronage which means they probably need you more than you need them. Give your business to their competitors. Now who is hurting whom? I wouldn't waste conversation on a business owner like that. He either wants my money or he doesn't.
    Harryball likes this.

I most of the time don't go to places that don't let me carry, not just because I am sone "gun nut" who cannot go out without his security blanket but someone who does nto want to be in an unsafe environment with my family or me. The BG know that by reading the sign (those that can read) and gladly know they are safe inside. Also looking at all the stats on the safety of carry, the decline of violent crime and the type of person (from legal standpoint) those with permits are it makes no sense to keep us out - this is the type of person I want in my business. But, if they are this shallow minded (their right) and make one bad decision what else are they not thinking through that could be someone hurt?? I have a couple of places where I have no choice but to disarm - places I need to go, but otherwise I stand clear. Big deal that a Cosco may be comeing to my town - unless they change their policy I'll never go.
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    I don't see any reason to tell the business owners that you won't be shopping there any more. They have already put up a sign telling you that they don't want your business and that they are completely willing to not have your business.

So let's ask, has anyone every changed a business owner's no-gun policy by telling the business owner that they won't shop at that business any more due to the business owner's posting a no-guns sign? Not that I have ever heard of.
    Yep... has happened in several cases.... more typically when several people tell them. My favorite hamburger joint has never been posted that I've seen, know the owner, and he was telling me the other night that he first posted a sign..... then someone came in and told him he wouldn't be coming there anymore if the sign stayed up. So, he took it down. I laughed (he knows I carry) and he said, " I know, you wouldn't be coming here either , would you ? ".

We also have some cards that we hand them, that states it.
    http://www.macvanpublishing.com/mike...oney_Ksccw.pdf

I've gone up to a business and then saw the sign, and turned to walk away. They've come out and said, "we're open come on it"..... and I told them "sorry, I won't be coming here as long as that sign is here". They seemed suprised. Apparently they must have had others tell them the same thing, as many of those are now not posted.

In a down economy is particularly a good time to let them know, because most businesses can't afford to turn customers away.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

While other can cite businesses who have changed policy on the basis of them or others telling them they won't shop there because of the posting, I can't.

But, in the spirit of: "a right unexercised, is a right lost." I'll certainly exercise my first amendment rights of speech so that it too doesn't get abridged, infringed or otherwise curtailed, and let the store manager that I am doing my best to lessen his pursuit of happiness through profit by my boycotting his business.
    FTG-05 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

The OhioCCW.org. has cards for its members. No Guns--No Money. Also maintain a DB of CPZ's (Criminal Protection Zones)
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found raped and dead in an alley, strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker took two to the chest.

I'm sure for every business one of us has changed there are maybe 3 or 4 that haven't. That doesn't mean we shouldn't keep trying. If I had quit trying to walk when I fell I'd still be crawing around on my hands and knees. I don't want to take the chance that the "herd mentality" will get started --the more business owners that see others with a sign might mean the more of them will post a sign. I live in a area of small towns so my options can get limited very quickly as signs have the force of law in TN.

Things are simpler for me. Either a business establishment meets my requirements for an acceptable place to shop, eat, or whatever, or I spend my money some place else. I'm not inclined to spend time trying to change how they conduct their business. I'll just exercise my right to patronize a business more to my liking.
    FTG-05 likes this.

I was having this discussion this past week at work. One of the places we eat several times a week has suddenly posted a gun buster sign. 6 of us open carry, so when we saw the sign go up on Friday, each of us carried a "No Guns=No Money" card in and gave it to the owner and left. I also had a breakfast meeting for 20 scheduled there for the last Monday of the month that I cancelled because of the new sign. We'll see if it makes a difference. There is also a website we were discussing...."Gun Free Dining Tennessee" and their facebook page "Gun Free Dining"

You can get most anything online!
    tactilame likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links